Even after Fallout 4, many fans still asking for an Obsidian developed Fallout

Kotaku said:
It’s well-deserved acclaim...but, at times, it manages to overshadow Bethesda’s initial accomplishment in reviving the dead franchise in the first place.

This is bullshit. Bethesda don't deserve recognition for having deep pockets. Other people were trying to buy the IP too.

"Something about that feels cruel to Bethesda, and makes it easy to lose sight of the many things Bethesda’s Fallout games have excelled at, like competent shooter mechanics..."

Two false things I infer from this sentence:
1. Fallout 3 had competent shooter mechanics.
2. New Vegas did not.

Story and mechanics are not mutually exclusive, fella. We can do both! IMO, New Vegas drastically improved on F3's shooting. Props to Bethesda if they managed to improve further for Fallout 4, but it's not like an Obsidian sequel to it would be backtracking on that.

I don't see what the big secret behind the phenomenon is. People just want a well-written game...

I havn't played the game, so take that with a grain of salt.

But I have the feeling, just from the looks, that the improvements are rather ... superficial. I am pretty sure the shooting part, feels more like "shooting", closer to an FPS. And that might be a good thing, if you consider how combat heavy the game is. But, a lot of people also make comments about how bland the shooting, the crafting and weapons are in the game. You have to consider this, they simplfied the mechanics a lot. How exciting can the best gun play be, after you killed thousands of raiders in the same locations ...

This is bullshit. Bethesda don't deserve recognition for having deep pockets. Other people were trying to buy the IP too.

This, so, so much this.

I don't know why it has even ANY kind of value in an argument. Bethesda bought the franchise. Ok. Big deal. And? Why does that fact alone already deserves any recognition?

Obsidian just needs to ditch that engine if they plan to make another game, I would prefer isometric with all the good of Fallout 1 and 2.

The problem isn´t the engine itself (the engine does have is own enormous flaws), the problem is that obsidian has given a very short amount of time to make new vegas. If Obsidian has to make another fallout game, a longer development time would be ideal.

People saying how "I want it to be FPS/RPG", "I want it to be Turn-based/RPG". If Bethesda weren't so incompetent I think we could very easily have both.

Take a look at the first thirty seconds of this video which aptly describes that companies like Bethesda are doing with old series like Fallout.

If anything, I thank Bethesda for keeping it alive, even if they were keeping it alive the same way cutting off a person's arms and legs off and throwing them into a dark pit with a barred trapdoor at the top is still keeping them alive. But now it's time to make Fallout something more than just "alive" again. Hopefully, someone will get that memo.

I would've preferred it if it had turned into an FPS for one game just to survive the entry into modern gaming, then turned back to its roots. Or even boiling it down to something simple yet fun and intriguing, like the XCOM: Enemy Unknown reboot of the series, which was probably the most well-handled rebirth of a classic I've ever seen in the AAA industry.

Why not both? Have the series alternate between the two genres so no-one gets butthurt that their favorite genre doesn't get recognized.

But it should be F1-styled and FNV-styled, not 2- and 3- styled.

Talking about style, I could do without the IMO repulsive overuse of Vault Boy, especially the stupid Charisma speech check animation.

I think it's cool that the perk icons are animated, and wouldn't mind seeing that again, but I never liked seeing the Vault Boy icons in gameplay. They take away from the seriousness of the setting, and I find them to be an immersion-breaking gimmick.

A new Obsidian Fallout would be great, but Beth just opened up a Montreal studio a month or so ago headed by former Behavior Interactive guys. So sadly they'll have the work on another FO game while the typical Bethsoft studio handles Elder Scrolls.

I suspect they might have sold fewer copies of Fallout 4 though, since New Vegas convinced a lot of people that a 3D first person Fallout with real-time combat isn't necessarily going to be a creative dead end. I mean, I was about ready to give up on Fallout after Fo3, but New Vegas gave me a lot of hope (that ended up largely being dashed by Fo4, but I digress.)

Pretty much how I feel as well. I really started to dislike Fallout 3 after its pointless big map and those DLCs, feeling that nothing good could ever come from Bethesda's approach to make Fallout into a pseudo FPS.
Obsidian showed that it was possible to make a good Fallout game with existing pieces, it just needed some tweaking and a more clear understanding of its universe and what attracts people who love RPGs to it.

It kept my interest in the franchise alive and made me check out Fallout 4 even if I knew that it would be a step back from Fallout New Vegas.
I just did not realize how much of a step when I played the game.

I agree with other posters here that it would be better for Obsidian to continue developing its own IPs that get to Fallout despite how much I wish them to make another Fallout game.
At this point I also wish that Bethesda falls flat on its face and that the interest in the franchise starts to seriously decline to the point that it is no profitable for Zenimax.

The thing with a FPS RPG is that you get the Morrowind Syndrome: a first person game, but your actions are governed by dicerolls.

I don't think a lot of people would like that, even if I personally like it in Morrowind. Though, with the right features (like proper animations that simulate dodging, parrying, critical misses, and so on) it would be very interesting. You know, dice rolls, but dice rolls you can't tell are clearly happening (like Morrowind's in-your-face misses).

I've played JSawyer before, and augmented it with a few more mods for a more hardcore game, if only because I wasn't quite seeing the RPG in FPS, so I went with the logical approach: if you can't make a correct RPG out of a FPS, then go full FPS (lethal bullets, slow stimpak healing, Guns skill only affect accuracy and not damage, etc).

Near misses could be shown by having the enemy more realistically dive out of the way or have the character fumble about. Morrowind had the formula down pretty good imo. New Vegas was sufficient for what it was. Bethesda just has a shitty fucking game engine.

Near misses could be shown by having the enemy more realistically dive out of the way or have the character fumble about. Morrowind had the formula down pretty good imo. New Vegas was sufficient for what it was. Bethesda just has a shitty fucking game engine.

Right on. I know nothing about programming and so on, but I THINK battles could look much more realistic if the PC knew in advance to make an enemy dive because of a dice roll, as in cause -> consequence. Turn-based combat could pull that off much better, though that is a stretch.

There was missing in Skyrim but in the form of the most unrealistic uncanny dodge animation(looked shitty too) when attempting to hit an enemy with an arrow.

There was missing in Skyrim but in the form of the most unrealistic uncanny dodge animation(looked shitty too) when attempting to hit an enemy with an arrow.

Partly due to their shitty animations no doubt. A competent developer could pull it off.

I think TW3 nailed that pretty well with how Geralt moves.

I just prefer the miss mechanics from isometric turn based games as it works better than in a first person environment if you're trying to add animations to make it seem more "immersive". Maybe I'm just stuck in the ways of older gaming(since modern gaming certainly hasn't gotten too much better with age besides some things like graphics).

I just prefer the miss mechanics from isometric turn based games as it works better than in a first person environment if you're trying to add animations to make it seem more "immersive". Maybe I'm just stuck in the ways of older gaming(since modern gaming certainly hasn't gotten too much better with age besides some things like graphics).

Because you are right.

My first Western RPG was Skyrim... yeah yeah, cue the laughter. And my latest RPG are Fallout 1 and Baldur's Gate EE, the latter which I'm currently playing. And at least in FO1, the animations are much more believable. And I believe it is because of the turn-based system, where you can't get away with lazy animations of a character being hit and barely reaction the attacks (plus an isometric turn-based game offers a much more controllable world than a FPS, since an enemy can only be attacked by one character at a time).

Back