Examples of Bad Writing in Fallout 4 [Spoilers]

I cannot really tell much about writing, as I dig more gameplay over the story and stuff, but what bothers me is the starting up there. You are as a couple, choosed to be lawyer or a soldier. Why they couldn't let you be a single man? a hobo? that vault dude that goes from door to door? And why have the game end if you don't follow the railroaded road into the Vault, and not have you come out as ghoul? That would give out lot more degrees of player freedom right there, as much as Bethesda could do with such engine.

That actually would have been a pretty good idea, kind of like how most of the "Alternate Start" mods for the latest Bethesda games (NV included). If they wanted for it to be more in-depth, they could have done with an "Origin" system like say, Divinity: Original Sin 2's, even if at a lesser extent with way more occasional special interactions and events. Of course, maybe add some perks/traits from the get go, and some starting gear. The benefit of classless systems is that if they do have starting kits, they can shape for challenges and add some variety to the early game.

The moment I realized they'd half assed it was the fact there was no individual Companion reaction to every ending just Institute and Institute Go Boom.

The moment I realized they'd half assed it was the fact there was no individual Companion reaction to every ending just Institute and Institute Go Boom.

You only realized then?

I cannot really tell much about writing, as I dig more gameplay over the story and stuff, but what bothers me is the starting up there. You are as a couple, choosed to be lawyer or a soldier. Why they couldn't let you be a single man? a hobo? that vault dude that goes from door to door? And why have the game end if you don't follow the railroaded road into the Vault, and not have you come out as ghoul? That would give out lot more degrees of player freedom right there, as much as Bethesda could do with such engine.

While I like that kind of idea, I don't think it would have worked that well due to the PC having an actual voice.

I was willing to go along with the game for most of it and enjoyed it until the end but I expected SOME resolution to all the major plots and ideas.

I was also pissed off it wasn't MORE like Blade Runner because I *LOVE* Blade Runner.

I saw the Nick Valentine-esque Detective in Scolley Square and wanted to BE that guy.

Yes ... but that would have been acutall role playing.

Can't have that in a Bethesda game.

But you could always pretend to be one! That's according to a lot of Bethesda fans, just as good.
Actual role playing in games are BORING! New Vegas sucked because the NPC talked way too much and there was way too much dialogue to chose from. Fallout 4 was sooooo much better because it didn't have any of that boring shit and is the best Fallout game. And yes, this is a actual comment I found on YouTube. These are the type of people that Bethesda pander to with each release.

Well we're always doing that!
I will be honest, maybe I am weird, but I don't pretend I am the character in computer games. I only do it more if it is tabletop P&P RPGs.

In computer games I feel more like I am just watching the memories or a movie about the character and I can choose to see what happens when that character does, says or reacts to things. I don't pretend to be the character because there is no way I would say or do most of the things characters do/say in games, I would say and do stuff that is not implemented in the games at all. :aiee:.

If I am pretending to be a character, I need the freedom to be able to react and do stuff the way I want that character to. But games throw situations at me and force me to react or do it in ways they want me to... Even if I don't want to do any of those. I can't pretend to be someone who has no real choices besides the imposed to them. That is why I can only pretend I am a character in tabletop RPGs, because I have the freedom to choose what that character do and say the way I want them to...

Last edited:
I will be honest, maybe I am weird, but I don't pretend I am the character in computer games...
In computer games I feel more like I am just watching the memories or a movie about the character and I can choose to see what happens when that character does, says or reacts to things.
That's roleplaying... if your choice is based on your estimation of how that character would react in their present situation.

The more common —player substitution— approach tends to just be digital cosplay. :(
*Why care?... Because the downside to this is that its popularity among recent players will influence the assumptions of any new "RPGs" that come out, and might make real RPG development into an obscure lost art; an unprofitable relic notion of the past. :(

Last edited:
Actual role playing in games are BORING! New Vegas sucked because the NPC talked way too much and there was way too much dialogue to chose from. Fallout 4 was sooooo much better because it didn't have any of that boring shit and is the best Fallout game. And yes, this is a actual comment I found on YouTube. These are the type of people that Bethesda pander to with each release.

I like the one I read on the Bethesda forum that the guy praised Bethesda's decision to not include traits (an awful mechanic, he says) in the game because that would be the same thing as forcing a feature on the PC.

Obviously he ignored that traits are optional and that the PC is always a soldier / lawyer :confused:

So yes, this is the target audience. This is the guy who fills them with money. I can not blame them, as a microentrepreneur, I also wanted my clients to be like this.

Back