Fallout 4 does not make sense

• Thread starter Thread starter TorontoReign
  • Start date Start date
"ever since Fo3" that kind of says it all, doesn't it?

Did New Vegas had those kind of shit with Skeletons? Other than the weird Ghoulified Military General in Lonesome Road they were always more sensible with placement of skeletons.

Yes, that was the joke :]

I can't remember anywhere in FO1 or 2 that's littered with skeletons

There are some bath-tub-skeletons in New Vegas though, but I'm not remembering how many or how common it is

To be fair here, a skeleton in a bath-tub does not mean that the person died 200 years ago. If someone blew their brains out in a tub it could very well just have been a decade or so since it happened. It depends on the skeleton and what is implied by its surroundings. A skeleton in a tub could mean someone who's died fairly recently.

Indeed, I have even found myself interpreting it that way. Some wastelander giving up on scavenging, offing themselves in a tub (should have proper plumbing though, but whatever)

The skeletons in FO4 are too obviously supposed to be blasts-from-the-past in a way that simple-people can recognize. They are fully dressed in pre-war leisure clothing :I

Comscar: yes, that is the location I remember having these skeletons, off the top of my head anyway

Last edited:
I'm not interested in discussing how realistic things are in an alternate universe post-apoc game w/ talking mutants and ghouls.

It's not about "realistic", it's about "believable." I mean, that's pretty clearly explained at the very start of the rev...ohhhh, I see.

Never mind. Let the "explaining that we use the same word to mean different things in English fairy" handle it when he gets here. :D

I'm not interested in discussing how realistic things are in an alternate universe post-apoc game w/ talking mutants and ghouls.

It's not about "realistic", it's about "believable." I mean, that's pretty clearly explained at the very start of the rev...ohhhh, I see.

Never mind. Let the "explaining that we use the same word to mean different things in English fairy" handle it when he gets here. :D

He was quoting Pete Hines ;)

But yeah, we're probably stupid to read so deeply into it, since skeletons posed around in the hundreds have always been a staple of Fallout, ever since FO3.

Heck. Since Fallout 1 really. Then again in F1 & 2 it was always difficult to tell if they were supposed to be "war" corpses or if they were more "recent" bodies. Some of the environmental story telling in Fallout 4 worked because either the death had happened post-war or the areas were fairly enclosed so the environment wouldn't have resulted in too much spreading of the bones.

But the real crux of the article was the presence of a skeleton in the active diner. While trash and bodies fit the aesthetic of the series, they don't fit the reality of people's lives. If that diner is an active trading post, and every bit of scrap is valuable, then it should be clean. Not undamaged, but clean. So tables should have plates and cups on them, but neatly set out for customers. And there should be NO BODIES in the booths.

The big flaw I've noticed in the Bethesda Fallout games is not so much the format or the changes to gameplay. Those are style changes and will be fought over forever by fans. It's like an argument about which of the Star Wars movies is best. It'll never end, and you'll never convince anyone to change their mind.

Instead, I think that their biggest flaw is that they get too excited about world building and don't focus on the details like the interior of the diner. The Commonwealth is filled with tons of things to discover, hidden stories, and exciting and strange locales (I love it so far). But they forget odd details like the inside of the diner, or big plot holes like how the Brotherhood should be able to locate synths easily by x-raying people's skulls. They try to put so much in that they forget to fine tune what's already there.

They get excited about having an NPC like the Brotherhood member who lost her legs and walks around in a modified power armor frame. But then they forget about other details like, why can't you choose to not
kill off the Railroad
during the BoS and Institute plotlines?
It makes no sense. They're hidden. You could just leave, tell Desdemona to move to another base, then nuke the church and tell Father/Maxon that the job's done.
Even though it's an obvious alternative, they missed it. Probably while getting excited while designing the Glowing Sea.

That's one mod that I want to try to build once the construction set comes out. A "realism" mod to clean up that Diner and other spots where they slipped up on small stuff.

Not so much with the skeletons but there was some issues like this even in the original fallouts in regards to trash/broken down stuff/ect. It wasn't common to find skeletons inside of inhabited buildings in a town. Not non-existent but not common.

Some of that could have been due to graphical limitations. Also in NV it always bugged the hell out of me how trashed up Camp Golf is inside.

personally, I like the skeletons. Its something to look at. I like the attention to detail in how they are set up and the liltle stories they tell.

sure, it Int realistic. Boo Hoo. Go live under ground in a desert if you want a slightly more realistic post apocolyptic feel.

Would you really rather stare at a nice clean dirt floor and 100 candles? Or what?

Maybe you'd like just one weapon, ability to carry 50lbs, virtual piss stops, and inability to play past your bedtime.

REALISM YAY

personally, I like the skeletons. Its something to look at. I like the attention to detail in how they are set up and the liltle stories they tell.

sure, it Int realistic. Boo Hoo. Go live under ground in a desert if you want a slightly more realistic post apocolyptic feel.

Would you really rather stare at a nice clean dirt floor and 100 candles? Or what?

Maybe you'd like just one weapon, ability to carry 50lbs, virtual piss stops, and inability to play past your bedtime.

REALISM YAY

Oh goody a typical 12 year Bethesda fanboy. Please keep gracing us with your amazing intelligence and spelling errors.

REALISM YAY

Oh goody a typical 12 year Bethesda fanboy. Please keep gracing us with your amazing intelligence and spelling errors.

Wow I guess the Bethesda fans enjoy those wacky skeletons that shouldn't be there in dusty run down places that serve no purpose and should've been renovated! Environmental "storytelling". That's what you get when you pay $60 to Bethesda. They give you a sandbox to make your own stories because the writers couldn't write anything to save their lives so you have to use your "imagination" for a story. People pay money for THEM to make a story not for us to do their job. Makes me sick.

REALISM YAY

Wow I guess the Bethesda fans enjoy those wacky skeletons that shouldn't be there in dusty run down places that serve no purpose and should've been renovated! Environmental "storytelling". That's what you get when you pay $60 to Bethesda. They give you a sandbox to make your own stories because the writers couldn't write anything to save their lives so you have to use your "imagination" for a story. People pay money for THEM to make a story not for us to do their job. Makes me sick.

Commercial genius!

REALISM YAY

A couple of well-placed skeletons can give a bit of atmosphere, even if it's not fully realistic. As I said before, a skeleton with a shotgun in a bathtub can add to the post-apocalyptic feel, if it is in an abandoned shack miles from anywhere. A skeleton in someone's house, where they have supposedly been living for decades without touching it, that breaks immersion. (Yes, I know immersion is a dirty word around here sometimes, but when it's not being misused by Bethesda, it is still an important concept in gaming. Anything that makes you jolt upright and realise you're playing a game instead of experiencing a story and a world is bad game design)

There is a huge contrast with the early games, where we actually got to see new societies emerge, ones that weren't simply squatting in post-war buildings and wearing post-war rags, but had developed unique cultures and ways of life. Even the people that were living in ruins still managed to have built something that was clearly and distinctly new, not just an imitation of a pre-war life they never experienced.

Did New Vegas had those kind of shit with Skeletons? Other than the weird Ghoulified Military General in Lonesome Road they were always more sensible with placement of skeletons.

The Survivalist that everyone raves about in the Honest Hearts DLC has been lying on an exposed hilltop quite happily for over a century...

The Survivalist that everyone raves about in the Honest Hearts DLC has been lying on an exposed hilltop quite happily for over a century...

At lest he wasn't positioned with a coffee cup in his hand or cuddling with another skeleton.

By the way, is it explained where chems, medicine, guns, ammo, electricity, food, education comes from in Fallout 4? I've seen some plants here and there so I guess that might take care of the food issue (but then again, the raiders, what do they eat?), but what about other stuff? Does the Institute fund the anarchy with chems and meds or something? And what about ammo, The Pitt? Where do the doctors get their PhD's?

By the way, is it explained where chems, medicine, guns, ammo, electricity, food, education comes from in Fallout 4? I've seen some plants here and there so I guess that might take care of the food issue (but then again, the raiders, what do they eat?), but what about other stuff? Does the Institute fund the anarchy with chems and meds or something? And what about ammo, The Pitt? Where do the doctors get their PhD's?

There's some farming in Diamond City, as well as a primary school where children sit by their desks 24/7-into-infinity, because people in beth's worlds react naturally, go to and from work, and such. Except when all motivation has evaporated, and children sit by their desks untill the universe implodes

Raiders eat.. people? I suppose...

Another question is - why do raiders raid? I've seen arguments defending the "raider trope" that raiders don't need to communicate with civilized people, because they raid.
But what exactly do they raid?
Dinner?

For the sake of argument, let's say the raiders manage to raid Fort Knox itself, then what? Do they eat the gold?

Back