Fallout 4 - Wasteland Workshop Official Trailer

NotAcasul

meanie

Arrival date for all consoles: April 12th

"With the Wasteland Workshop, design and set cages to capture live creatures – from raiders to Deathclaws! Tame them or have them face off in battle, even against your fellow settlers. The Wasteland Workshop also includes a suite of new design options for your settlements like nixie tube lighting, letter kits, taxidermy and more!"

Thoughts?

Edit: Oh, right. I'm not allowed to put this into the news section. Someone higher than me, pls move it k? thnx bby <3

Last edited:
Looks like they're improving the "base building" aspect of the game, which wasn't exactly bad on the first place, but it was indeed a bit lacking. Also, are they hinting some kind of "tower defense" with all those traps? Maybe settlement attacks will be more common? I didn't have much of a problem with them using the turrets on the base game.

I don't think improving the settlement mechanics is bad, I considered that aspect a good addition and a nice rest for all of the "KILL. LOOT. RETURN. REPEAT" cycle that is the core of the game. However, I'd say the price will play a huge part, paying 10$ for a bunch of new items to place and the ability to fight and "capture" creatures... I don't know. It doesn't look like anything that can't be modded on to the game once the G.E.C.K is released. And probably a good modder would do a better job.

Eh...
I don't like how Fallout 4 turned out and I don't like where it's going but I will say this at least looks better than the last DLC, if only because it's not all action based and it's something that improves a mechanic of the game at least.

I'm not too sure if I really care about it at all to be honest.
I'll check it out when it's released.

Seems a bit much to make people pay for it through, this could have easily have been an update.

Bethesda... why didn't you just stick with the previous good DLC?
(And before anyone mentions it, I know both Courier's stash and Gun Runner's Arsenal both exist, but they were released way after the other DLCs were announced and at least gave us some interesting shit. One even gave us a Vault 13 Jumpsuit which I was meant to get with my pre-order, but I still got it... and I enjoy it).

Looks like it should have in the base game.

I am going to give it a try and see how much stuff is in it, once it releases. Hopefully it will be better than automatron.

Also, the price for such small features is kind of absurd, if I have to be honest.

Looks like they're improving the "base building" aspect of the game, which wasn't exactly bad on the first place, but it was indeed a bit lacking. Also, are they hinting some kind of "tower defense" with all those traps? Maybe settlement attacks will be more common? I didn't have much of a problem with them using the turrets on the base game.

I don't think improving the settlement mechanics is bad, I considered that aspect a good addition and a nice rest for all of the "KILL. LOOT. RETURN. REPEAT" cycle that is the core of the game. However, I'd say the price will play a huge part, paying 10$ for a bunch of new items to place and the ability to fight and "capture" creatures... I don't know. It doesn't look like anything that can't be modded on to the game once the G.E.C.K is released. And probably a good modder would do a better job.
Looks like it should have in the base game.

I am going to give it a try and see how much stuff is in it, once it releases. Hopefully it will be better than automatron.

Also, the price for such small features is kind of absurd, if I have to be honest.
I agree that Bethesda is doing some good here by really going all in with this crafting/base building and weapon, armor, robot modding stuff. It is actually an amazing addition to the game. I also agree that $10 for Automatron and whatever Wasteland Workshop costs is probably too much considering modders could probably do the same thing and there is little to no story content here.

I think they released these first because they know that modders would probably just make this stuff anyway, but then again they were talking about going back to paid mods eventually so that is still a possibility at some point. That would pretty much be the last straw for Bethesda's goodwill that they have built up with the gaming community though, so I hope they don't do that.

I gave Fallout 4 a lot of shit but I'm learning to enjoy it for what it is. And I think Bethesda's gameplay additions like this crafting and workshop stuff is an absolutely brilliant, truly creative way to make full use of their unique game worlds. And if Obsidian gets a chance to make another Fallout game, Bethesda's additions coupled to Obsidian's writing and RPG skills will probably end up making it game of the decade.

The best first-person Fallout game would be one where Obsidian or Black Isle people managed the writing and role-playing and Bethesda managed the game world and they worked in collaboration, because I think Bethesda's strength is in creating beautiful, atmospheric game worlds to explore with fun gameplay but they are simply sub-par when it comes to writing and role-playing.

I'm hoping Far Harbor brings enough new story content to compliment these first two DLC which add more gameplay and crafting.

Last edited:
Well... I'm not offended by this trailer. It's not too bad, tbh. Wish it was cheaper or just a free update, but I understand why they didn't do it like that.

@Irwin; Yes. Bethesda, for all it's faults, is really good at making a world that's nice to look at. I want Obsidian to write the game and design the world and RPG mechanics, while Bethesda does their stuff with FPS and other game mechanics and even stuff like settlement building (provided it's not as completely stupid as it is in Fallout 4)

I agree that Bethesda is doing some good here by really going all in with this crafting/base building and weapon, armor, robot modding stuff. It is actually an amazing addition to the game. I also agree that $10 for Automatron and whatever Wasteland Workshop costs is probably too much considering modders could probably do the same thing and there is little to no story content here.
The crafting is the worst part of the game for me, it's just Sims:Wasteland Edition, and I hate the Sims. The direction they went with the base game was bad, and wasn't even the Skyrim level watered down I was expecting, and that's a low bar. Now with these DLC's instead of hitting the breaks they just keep going full throttle in the wrong direction. Who knows maybe Far Harbor will surprise me, but I have a sinking suspicion there will be more stupid shit to craft, radiant quests, things to shoot/loot/return, and those ever so deep faction choices. FO4 is the worst gift I ever got(don't tell my wife)

The crafting is the worst part of the game for me, it's just Sims:Wasteland Edition, and I hate the Sims. The direction they went with the base game was bad, and wasn't even the Skyrim level watered down I was expecting, and that's a low bar. Now with these DLC's instead of hitting the breaks they just keep going full throttle in the wrong direction. Who knows maybe Far Harbor will surprise me, but I have a sinking suspicion there will be more stupid shit to craft, radiant quests, things to shoot/loot/return, and those ever so deep faction choices. FO4 is the worst gift I ever got(don't tell my wife)
The issue is I don't think they can do much about the dialogue wheel and voiced protagonist and because of this I don't think they can do anything to improve the major flaw of the game - the actual RPG part of it (the part that makes a Fallout game special). So the next best thing is for them to put all their marbles into making a really deep crafting/settlement system, a deep survival mode, and all sorts of gameplay improvements to make the game incredibly deep in terms of gameplay content.

I would love it if they could improve the things that mattered most in Fallout - the role-playing and dialogue, but without a complete overhaul of the dialogue system that isn't going to happen. While the female protagonist voice actress is pretty much saving Fallout 4 for me by allowing me to play it without cringing at the terrible voice acting of the male protagonist, the whole dialogue system is kind of a disaster for a Fallout game, or for any game for that matter.

Based on how dumbed down the last two Bethesda games have been, I'm happy Fallout 4 even has a dialogue system at all at this point.

It's hard for me to even consider what they have in Fallout 4 a "dialogue system".

It feels more like a QTE (quick time event) that just allows forever for you to select one of the two options you had no choice in avoiding to progress the plot, both of which are effectively the same to you since your character doesn't really change or progress beyond becoming more of a jack of all trades ubermensch.

They don't even really change the plot, they just occasionally change which circuitous path you took to get to the same exact place.

The issue is I don't think they can do much about the dialogue wheel and voiced protagonist and because of this I don't think they can do anything to improve the major flaw of the game - the actual RPG part of it (the part that makes a Fallout game special). So the next best thing is for them to put all their marbles into making a really deep crafting/settlement system, a deep survival mode, and all sorts of gameplay improvements to make the game incredibly deep in terms of gameplay content.
That's not what I see at all. What I see isn't them not even trying to right the ship, what I see is BGS thinking what they did and are doing with Fallout is a step in the right direction, when it clearly is not. A modder made a mod to show all the dialogue, show weapon models, shut the player voice off, these are features that would show me that BGS is trying to do something for RPG fans. I guess it's easier to just add more crap, I mean crafting stuff.

It's hard for me to even consider what they have in Fallout 4 a "dialogue system".

It feels more like a QTE (quick time event) that just allows forever for you to select one of the two options you had no choice in avoiding to progress the plot, both of which are effectively the same to you since your character doesn't really change or progress beyond becoming more of a jack of all trades ubermensch.

They don't even really change the plot, they just occasionally change which circuitous path you took to get to the same exact place.
At this rate I expect Elder Scrolls VI to have a voiced protagonist voiced by some actor that has never heard of Elder Scrolls, and there will be no dialogue choice of any kind - not even a wheel. Also, you will only be able to play as one class/race, probably as Emperor Urinal Septum leader of all factions from the start.

Why yes, I am bitter about how childish the Elder Scrolls/Fallout has gotten...but I'm trying to be positive and find enjoyment in Fallout 4 because DAMN IT I'm A FALLOUT FAN.
That's not what I see at all. What I see isn't them not even trying to right the ship, what I see is BGS thinking what they did and are doing with Fallout is a step in the right direction, when it clearly is not. A modder made a mod to show all the dialogue, show weapon models, shut the player voice off, these are features that would show me that BGS is trying to do something for RPG fans. I guess it's easier to just add more crap, I mean crafting stuff.
I see what you're saying. My point is simply that I don't think there is anything they can do to "right the ship" at this point. The game's dialogue system is set in place and there's really no way to completely undo that outside of making a new game. That is sadly why I have high hopes but low expectations for Far Harbor bringing anything good to the table in terms of role-playing, and why I'm choosing to try to enjoy the game for what it is.

Thoughts about how the DLC is going to be like:

Extra props that should've been featured in the game from the beginning.

Also as for the protagonist: "Shaun? Who's Shaun? Quit bugging me about this person and let me get back to playing with my junk Legos!".

I agree with Irwin. Fallout 4 is hardly an RPG and this flaw is not something you could fix with mods. My point is DLCs are, in essence; pretty, big, payed mods crafted with a higher or lower level of professionalism and, as such, we cannot expect them to insulate Fallout 4 with some of that RPG goodness we're craving.

Fallout 4 is doomed as Fallout game. At least as the Fallout game we want it to be, so now that BGS has fucked up big, why not try to improve what it does right instead of trying to fix all the unfixable lot that it did wrong? I'm not saying to just go and forget about it's faults, some mistakes can still be fixed. But things like the dialogue wheel, the choice and consequence or the dialogue... as much as it pains me, I don't think there's much that can be done to them without a brand new game.

Honestly, in my opinion, this sort of DLC is dead when the G.E.C.K drops. That's it. You're finished. Modders can make whatever you can make at a faster and less-expensive option. Hell, they even did half of the content of this thing before-hand.

What modders don't have is voice acting. Voice acting can't be added by making some models and making magic out of the game. Voice acting needs the proper equipment and actors to be really good. Most mods (surprise) don't have this.

New Vegas Bounties?http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/37310/?

Shit voice acting. (By Bethesda's standards)

I'll admit they did pretty good for what they had, but it's got nothing on what Bethesda's got. Seriously, Brian T. Delany is really good at his job.

This is not bad news, trust me. This means Bethesda will be forced to make Story focused quests and worlds and the lore that goes with it.

We might get to see something good from Bethesda! What about another Pitt-like DLC? Fallout 3 wasn't that great, Pitt DLC was the bomb! Fallout 4 wasn't that great, Pitt-like DLC = bomb!

Just trying to stay optimistic. :)

Honestly, in my opinion, this sort of DLC is dead when the G.E.C.K drops. That's it. You're finished. Modders can make whatever you can make at a faster and less-expensive option. Hell, they even did half of the content of this thing before-hand.

What modders don't have is voice acting. Voice acting can't be added by making some models and making magic out of the game. Voice acting needs the proper equipment and actors to be really good. Most mods (surprise) don't have this.

New Vegas Bounties?http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/37310/?

Shit voice acting. (By Bethesda's standards)

I'll admit they did pretty good for what they had, but it's got nothing on what Bethesda's got. Seriously, Brian T. Delany is really good at his job.

This is not bad news, trust me. This means Bethesda will be forced to make Story focused quests and worlds and the lore that goes with it.

We might get to see something good from Bethesda! What about another Pitt-like DLC? Fallout 3 wasn't that great, Pitt DLC was the bomb! Fallout 4 wasn't that great, Pitt-like DLC = bomb!

Just trying to stay optimistic. :)
There's a difference between being optimistic and stating that the male voice actor in Fallout 4 is "really good at his job." The voice acting alone made me quit the game repeatedly just from making me cringe. It ruined the entire game for me. If you couple that bad voice acting with the fact that the male protagonist constantly has this weird, smug smile on his face during almost all dialogue scenes, it makes the game look abysmal.

The only reason I can even play Fallout 4 is because of the female voice actor providing a much better alternative. She actually did a good job.

The demand by some gamers for voiced protagonist pretty much destroyed Fallout for a lot of people. It really doesn't belong in Fallout at all.

/just my opinion though

There's a difference between being optimistic and stating that the male voice actor in Fallout 4 is "really good at his job." The voice acting alone made me quit the game repeatedly just from making me cringe. It ruined the entire game for me. If you couple that bad voice acting with the fact that the male protagonist constantly has this weird, smug smile on his face during almost all dialogue scenes, it makes the game look abysmal.

The only reason I can even play Fallout 4 is because of the female voice actor providing a much better alternative. She actually did a good job.

The demand by some gamers for voiced protagonist pretty much destroyed Fallout for a lot of people.

/just my opinion though

I happen to like his voice acting. We seem to have a disagreement here. You know the rules. Two enter, one leaves.

I happen to like his voice acting. We seem to have a disagreement here. You know the rules. Two enter, one leaves.
I think part of my dislike for the male protagonist stems from the fact that if you look closely at his face when he's talking, he is almost always smirking or smiling. The character model has this weird smirk on his face while delivering dialogue that just breaks the immersion even more than the voiced protagonist itself does.

I'm thankful the female protagonist does not seem to have this problem and her voice acting is better than "WHA WHA WHAR SHAUN WHAR MY SON KELLOGG" and "OH YEA? YOU WAN GO FOR ROUND TWO HUH?" because both of those lines made me exit the game immediately because it was just so dumb.

/voiced protagonist in Fallout was an enormous gamble and coupled with the dialogue wheel it just failed miserably, but the female voice actress did a good job delivering her lines. Not surprising since she was a major character in Mass Effect.

The male voiced protagonist on the other hand is the most cringeworthy thing I've personally experienced in any video game ever and if it weren't for an alternative female protagonist I would likely have refunded the game.

/should probably not have been voiced protagonist to begin with because that and the dialogue wheel has dumbed down the dialogue of the Fallout franchise to an unrecognizable level where it now has more in common with Borderlands than the great role-playing games that came before it.

Last edited:
Back