Fallout 4 - Wasteland Workshop Official Trailer

Okay. My thoughts...

Right from the start, there's this bit of speech: "...time to kick back..."

I guess that's Bethesda's cue to the audience that they've completely given up when it comes to literary support for the mentality they wanted us to have with Shaun's kidnapping, both post-launch and within the DLC. (Why the hell did they even write that main story if this was what they going to do in the end? The Season Pass was announced before launch.)

Otherwise, it's just an ad for more settlement junk, things that modders are just as capable of making if they wanted, yet that's probably why the Creation Kit is being delayed. Hines' statement about DLC being prioritized over the Creation Kit makes the most sense that way.

Making people fight against Deathclaws to the death for fun? They're still not aware of total disconnect between storytelling and gameplay that F4 suffers from.

Player is allowed to commit worst kind of slavery yet how they depict this is very... immature?

Last edited:
I'm not saying that adding content for players who enjoy base building is a bad thing, except BGS can't add anything to one of their games without removing 3 better things. They also felt that their system was so awesome they didn't even bother to let you dismiss followers to Homeplate, and still haven't patched that in for players who give zero fucks about settlements. People can hope and dream that BGS gets it and next time it will be better, or maybe Obsidian will do a new Fallout, nope series ends here for me.
On that note, why can't we set up a supply line to Diamond City?

I still don't understand why the Name of the DLC is Wasteland Workshop... It's like they are trying to say the Commonwealth is a wasteland :lmao:.

The Commonwealth is at best kinda ruins of a city, but it is not a wasteland.

I gave Fallout 4 a lot of shit but I'm learning to enjoy it for what it is. And I think Bethesda's gameplay additions like this crafting and workshop stuff is an absolutely brilliant, truly creative way to make full use of their unique game worlds. And if Obsidian gets a chance to make another Fallout game, Bethesda's additions coupled to Obsidian's writing and RPG skills will probably end up making it game of the decade.

The best first-person Fallout game would be one where Obsidian or Black Isle people managed the writing and role-playing and Bethesda managed the game world and they worked in collaboration, because I think Bethesda's strength is in creating beautiful, atmospheric game worlds to explore with fun gameplay but they are simply sub-par when it comes to writing and role-playing.

If you're suggestion did happen, I would have a few...demands from Bethesda.

1. They should make lots of places to explore, but not litter them everywhere. Most buildings should be destroyed. If they want to make some, that's cool, just not going overboard.

2. They should keep the number of enemies to a minimum. Having a Ghoul Pack around one corner, a Yao Gaui round another, and a Deathclaw around another is not cool. Having every single quest require you to fight some bad guyz is not cool. They should make combat not define the game.

3. From a crafting perspective, I would be entirely fine with the Settlement Building, if handled correctly. Building your own house in the wasteland would be ok, just not "OMFG Your the general, you rule over all of these settlements.". And it should be handled more realistically, like you need to take a perk showing that you have knowledge of building to build most stuff, with maybe Robotics expert for turrets, ect., and a realistic amount of resources, you should work hard for the wood needed to build a wall, not just build it out of 3 pencils.

LOL
mNYAu8E.jpg

You aren't bothered that neither of the voices have a BOSTON accent? I modded out the voice acting as soon as I could because of it.
It's probably the last thing I noticed considering how awful I find the male voice actor to be in the game. I've never actually played a game before where I cringed so much that my reaction was to exit the game multiple times until I played Fallout 4 with the male protagonist.

So stuff that the PC guys had for years with New Vegas. With stuff like under sea ruins in the game, this is what they come up with? Fuckin a Bethsoft.

...because both of those lines made me exit the game immediately because it was just so dumb.

Sure, to some extent it's a matter of taste, but when the DIALOG makes you rage-quit a game, there's something wrong.

Making people fight against Deathclaws to the death for fun? They're still not aware of total disconnect between storytelling and gameplay that F4 suffers from.

Tricking enemies who are attacking you into fighting each other instead of you is tons of fun! Capturing enemies and making them fight to the death in an arena for your entertainment is, well, if it's also tons of fun, you should seek therapy.

Last edited:
Oh Bethesda! Take away basic features and add shallowly implemented features that nobody asked for. Skyrim gives you a wide range of people to marry while adding zero gameplay or story relevancy. Most RPG developers don't have this much money to waste on adding more features to a poorly implemented mechanic.

In the trailer it looks like the guy in the Power Armor fighting the deathclaw at 1:24 is Preston Gravey. If this mod allows me to put Preston in an arena and have him fed to a deathclaw, I would pay upwards of $20 for this mod.

I suppose that's good business practice - make your essential characters so terrible and annoying that people will pay you to get rid of them since they are unkillable in the base game.

ALSO: this trailer definitely looks like a PAID MOD buy I may just get it to judge for myself if it really turns out that way.

Last edited:
Tricking enemies who are attacking you into fighting each other instead of you is tons of fun!

Actually, I find this very fun. However, it would be a lot more fun if there was actually lore and context to make the act all the more satisfying, i.e. NCR versus the Legion, as opposed to just running Super Mutants into a bunch of patrols in baseball gear armed with wooden guns.

Sure, to some extent it's a matter of taste, but when the DIALOG makes you rage-quit a game, there's something wrong.

Honestly, I wouldn't have cared too much for the dialogue if it wasn't for the paltry fact that it was supposed to be a ROLE-PLAYING GAME!

I agree that Bethesda is doing some good here by really going all in with this crafting/base building and weapon, armor, robot modding stuff. It is actually an amazing addition to the game. I also agree that $10 for Automatron and whatever Wasteland Workshop costs is probably too much considering modders could probably do the same thing and there is little to no story content here.

I think they released these first because they know that modders would probably just make this stuff anyway, but then again they were talking about going back to paid mods eventually so that is still a possibility at some point. That would pretty much be the last straw for Bethesda's goodwill that they have built up with the gaming community though, so I hope they don't do that.

I gave Fallout 4 a lot of shit but I'm learning to enjoy it for what it is. And I think Bethesda's gameplay additions like this crafting and workshop stuff is an absolutely brilliant, truly creative way to make full use of their unique game worlds. And if Obsidian gets a chance to make another Fallout game, Bethesda's additions coupled to Obsidian's writing and RPG skills will probably end up making it game of the decade.

The best first-person Fallout game would be one where Obsidian or Black Isle people managed the writing and role-playing and Bethesda managed the game world and they worked in collaboration, because I think Bethesda's strength is in creating beautiful, atmospheric game worlds to explore with fun gameplay but they are simply sub-par when it comes to writing and role-playing.

I'm hoping Far Harbor brings enough new story content to compliment these first two DLC which add more gameplay and crafting.

while i agree on other gameplay mechanic like settlement, enemies ai now have specific behaviour and enviroment aware (giant scorpion and molerat digging to ambush you for example). cant say about combat and enemy eccounter aspect though.
thing is i prefer of new vegas DT and DR over Fo4 physical and energy Damage resistance, even though bethesda kinda fix the power armor mechanic and how it should feel when wearing them.

Last edited:
Actually, I find this very fun. However, it would be a lot more fun if there was actually lore and context to make the act all the more satisfying, i.e. NCR versus the Legion, as opposed to just running Super Mutants into a bunch of patrols in baseball gear armed with wooden guns.

For probably the first time in my life I wasn't being sarcastic! :) I really do think tricking enemies into attacking each other is actually fun. ;) Although when the game goes out of its way to make this really easy for you it takes some of the fun out of it, but I guess that's yet another different problem. :/

Now, I'm not very well versed in gaming history, so if I'm wrong on this feel free to correct me. Did Bethesda spark the whole piecemeal DLC practice with Horse Armour? I know DLC existed a short while before then, but if I recall correctly, they were the one to popularise the "five bucks for fuck all" pattern we see so regularly these days. If that really was the case, then this is quite appropriate.

Sad really, they start off with piecemeal DLC first as an experiment, got poor responses, then focused on making content-filled expansions instead, which was seen with Shivering Isles and later with all of Fallout 3's DLC. Starting with Skyrim's Hearthfire and down from then on, they are falling back into the very habits they presumably begun, and even shed away.

This wasteland workshop thing is low, even for Bethesda. Especially as they held out with full expansions for a long time after the trend they set off had the mainstream market stuffing DLC everywhere, and got a deserved good reputation for it. Why would they return to the very practice they took flak for? Did everyone who had common sense leave after Oblivion's final DLC got released? Wouldn't be surprised.

In the trailer it looks like the guy in the Power Armor fighting the deathclaw at 1:24 is Preston Gravey. If this mod allows me to put Preston in an arena and have him fed to a deathclaw, I would pay upwards of $20 for this mod.

I suppose that's good business practice - make your essential characters so terrible and annoying that people will pay you to get rid of them since they are unkillable in the base game.

ALSO: this trailer definitely looks like a PAID MOD buy I may just get it to judge for myself if it really turns out that way.
OR you could instead spawn some unessential Preston clones and some deathclaws with console commands without wishing for such a thing to be made possible.

Do people genuinely still care about this game? If I didn't come to this website every now and then I would forget about its existence.

Back