Fallout 4 - Wasteland Workshop Official Trailer

I think part of my dislike for the male protagonist stems from the fact that if you look closely at his face when he's talking, he is almost always smirking or smiling. The character model has this weird smirk on his face while delivering dialogue that just breaks the immersion even more than the voiced protagonist itself does.

I'm thankful the female protagonist does not seem to have this problem and her voice acting is better than "WHA WHA WHAR SHAUN WHAR MY SON KELLOGG" and "OH YEA? YOU WAN GO FOR ROUND TWO HUH?" because both of those lines made me exit the game immediately because it was just so dumb.

/voiced protagonist in Fallout was an enormous gamble and coupled with the dialogue wheel it just failed miserably, but the female voice actress did a good job delivering her lines. Not surprising since she was a major character in Mass Effect.

The male voiced protagonist on the other hand is the most cringeworthy thing I've personally experienced in any video game ever and if it weren't for an alternative female protagonist I would likely have refunded the game.

/should probably not have been voiced protagonist to begin with because that and the dialogue wheel has dumbed down the dialogue of the Fallout franchise to an unrecognizable level where it now has more in common with Borderlands than the great role-playing games that came before it.

Yes, the voiced protagonist is absolutely ridiculous if you don't want to be Nate. For the next Fallout, the developers may remove the voiced protagonist part of the game if they want to fix the dialogue system.

Or perhaps something new entirely? Honestly, more Fallout is generally a good thing.

At this point I really don't give two shits about Fallout 4. 90% of this DLC was already made by mod authors without the damn GECK. The reason these are made is to make a quick buck from the console kiddies before the GECK drops which I suspect will be April 26 because A: its a tuesday and triple-A developers love their tuesday release day, B: it gives enough time for those people to buy this little DLC pack, C: They said it was would be released in April and seeing how their new Bethesda.net thing is flopping, that gives them 3 weeks to fix their shit.

Honestly, at some point the options become too overwhelming due to the upfront time required to make a respectable looking settlement. If an average player sees this trailer or some of the reddit falleoutsettlements submissions, they're going to immediately know -- "It's going to take me 40 hours just to build something that doesn't immediately feel like trash." But wait, there's more! This is Fallout 4, so it's actually 400 hours since you need to grind out collecting all the cement, nuclear material, and copper.

Just makes you not want to bother. It would have been the same for NV. Why bother with my lego junk when I can just download the Underground Hideout mod (or the Freeside Apartment/Strip Underground Bunker mods)?

Instead of "more shit to build with" I'd prefer it if they actually 'did something' with the settlements to make them worthwhile. I mean, why would I bother starting up another settlement when the building mechanics are shit and ultimately it only gives me some resources? Why bother?

And I'd rather have a real arena than have to build one myself. And all the other shit just looks like pointless fluff. Like the traps, oh yes, I 'could' create a death labyrinth for attacking raiders to fall into... Or... Or! OR! I could just fucking kill them myself and not bother with the hair-pullingly awful building mechanic and scavenging for resources for something I will bother with once before the charm is drained out of it.

It just looks like fluff.
Pointless fluff.

Sure, it expands on the settlement building mechanic, but it appears to be expanding upon it in a way that doesn't have any pay-off. We can craft an arena, okay. So what? Wouldn't it be better to have a proper Arena DLC with a storyline and interesting characters?

We can craft labyrinth death-traps. Okay... But... What iiiiiiif... We had a "The Cube"-DLC?

We can craft more shit for our settlements. Uh-huh... Or.... Or? How about a DLC where each location gets unique NPC's with their own small quests to help individualize settlements?

So we craft the arena, painstakingly so, and once we're done we get to enjoy what? A fight or two before the charm of it wears off.
So we craft a death labyrinth, then what? Wait for the dumb AI to make its way through it? Then what? Oh the attack is over. Now to wait for another attack to happen at this precise settlement again.
So we craft more shit for our settlements.... Becaaaaause? It looks nice? Have you heard of your lord and saviour The Sims?

What a piece of shit. I'm flabbergasted with how bad it looks. How awkward it is promoted with its ingame footage, how desperately they're trying to find ways to lure in customers to actually giving up money for this crap.

Instead of "more shit to build with" I'd prefer it if they actually 'did something' with the settlements to make them worthwhile. I mean, why would I bother starting up another settlement when the building mechanics are shit and ultimately it only gives me some resources? Why bother?

And I'd rather have a real arena than have to build one myself. And all the other shit just looks like pointless fluff.
All those boarded up towns and the boxing rings placed all over, 1000 caps says DLC to populate them. Which will subsequently fuck any mod authors who decided to use them because BGS was saving them to sell. I swear every time I'm just about over talking about this game they just pull me back in.

Even with this paid DLC, the "Real Time Settler" mod for both Fallout 3 and New Vegas still trumps the shit out of Bethesda's rip-off of it. It's a sad, sad day when a MODDER does a better job at making a settlement-builder than a TRIPLE A studio with over 5 years of working on this travesty. Not to mention New Vegas had a damn good built-in arena from the start, "The Thorn", where you could bet on fights, set up custom matches, and even fight in the arena yourself. Plus it came with its own questline.

I might check out Automatron and Wasteland Workshop for myself just to see if there is anything that can justify it being a Bethesda DLC and not a paid mod.

I haven't played any of the Fallout 3/NV settlement type mods but I am impressed with the Bethesda settlement building in that it functions well enough. Some of the settlements people are building look incredible. Mine look like a nuclear war just happened, but there are some really amazing settlements people have built with the system.

This of course has nothing to do with a Fallout RPG, but in evaluating the crafting itself I'd say it functions fairly well and at least for now it looks like it has opened the door for modders to add a lot more to it. In essence, the mods could actually be really good for this aspect of the game.

Such a cash grab... they wanted to release this shit before the Creation Kit to make sure people don't do the same thing for free. Talk about milking the cow...

But seeing how the building mechanics are shit in Fallout 4 and also how annoying the settlement missions are I probably won't get this, unless I find it cheaper on 3rd party websites.

I'm wondering what they are thinking when they know that people see through their bullshit. Because I know they must have a few PR guys reading on popular fan sites. They must be like: "God damn nerds, they saw through our bullshit again. FUCK! Let's get Todd to give an interview to remind people how great Fallout 4 is"

Last edited:
I might check out Automatron and Wasteland Workshop for myself just to see if there is anything that can justify it being a Bethesda DLC and not a paid mod.

Just do yourself a favor and go get the "Real Time Settler" mod, the "Robco Certified" mod, the "Slavery Simple" mod, and the "Leash" mod for New Vegas. It's basically the same thing but done a lot better. (even if "Real Time Settler" takes a little longer to get started than FO4's system)

Just do yourself a favor and go get the "Real Time Settler" mod, the "Robco Certified" mod, the "Slavery Simple" mod, and the "Leash" mod for New Vegas. It's basically the same thing but done a lot better. (even if "Real Time Settler" takes a little longer to get started than FO4's system)
While it does feel like these are paid mods, it's not really a bad thing that Bethesda has realized players liked building their own settlements and so they put that kind of thing in the base game. It IS more content after all and it might make it easier for modders to improve on that system in a way that makes a great settlement mod.

Whether or not the Fallout 4 crafting is as good as those Fallout 3/New Vegas settlement mods, I don't know, but as I said earlier I'm just trying to be optimistic here and give the game a chance now that I can play it without cringing so much.

Did anyone actually watch the trailer all the way through without skipping or muting any parts at all? I legitimately couldn't, I cringed harder than during any movie scenes I've watched for the past two years after hearing the first few seconds of narration.

Yes, the voiced protagonist is absolutely ridiculous if you don't want to be Nate. For the next Fallout, the developers may remove the voiced protagonist part of the game if they want to fix the dialogue system.

Or perhaps something new entirely? Honestly, more Fallout is generally a good thing.

There's this thing called "dreaming" and I think you're doing it right now. :mrgreen:

Yes, there were people opposed to the voiced protagonists, but even most of the people outside NMA that didn't enjoy Fallout 4 very much were somewhat passive about the whole voice thing, not realising that the whole reason the RPG conversation trees went out the window was because of the voice acting.

While it does feel like these are paid mods, it's not really a bad thing that Bethesda has realized players liked building their own settlements and so they put that kind of thing in the base game.
I'm not saying that adding content for players who enjoy base building is a bad thing, except BGS can't add anything to one of their games without removing 3 better things. They also felt that their system was so awesome they didn't even bother to let you dismiss followers to Homeplate, and still haven't patched that in for players who give zero fucks about settlements. People can hope and dream that BGS gets it and next time it will be better, or maybe Obsidian will do a new Fallout, nope series ends here for me.

That's because it's exactly that kind of DLC. They decided that full expansions with actual content to them is last-gen and that the next step forward will be to screw players even more.
You just wait for Far Harbour, I have the feeling it will be a big map with mostly water and then a whatever size landmass, with maybe 2 to 3 locations with NPCs and then full of locations with just enemies and loot.

You just wait for Far Harbour, I have the feeling it will be a big map with mostly water and then a whatever size landmass, with maybe 2 to 3 locations with NPCs and then full of locations with just enemies and loot.

Holy crap, I didn't even consider that being a harbour Bethesda could get away with half the entire map being just water, with maybe four underwater dungeons. Especially with all the underwater content they've been hyping up.

I think part of my dislike for the male protagonist stems from the fact that if you look closely at his face when he's talking, he is almost always smirking or smiling. The character model has this weird smirk on his face while delivering dialogue that just breaks the immersion even more than the voiced protagonist itself does.

You aren't bothered that neither of the voices have a BOSTON accent? I modded out the voice acting as soon as I could because of it.

I did enjoy F4 quite a bit even with all it's flaws. But so far both DLC's looks like expensive mods and i may just skipp buying em.

Could be worse. Could be Tomb Raider kind of mods.

Back