Fallout 76 Nukes Lore and Releases

• Thread starter Thread starter TorontoReign
  • Start date Start date
Awful, awful game. It just confirms that Bethesda games are basically obsolete- this cobbled together hack mess is their best foot forward, and it feels like it belongs half a decade ago.

Really, Bethesda games have been obsolete for a while. Back a few years ago you could sort of ignore the bad gameplay, the horrendous bugs, etc. because they usually had enough interesting quests that it could be ignored, and there was a time when there wasn't all that much better in terms of singleplayer RPGs... but now its years later and they are still making buggy messes, the game physics are still the most unrealistic around, the graphics look like they're from 2012 or so. Bethesda storytelling only gets worse.

I played the Beta, and cancelled my Amazon preorder after (I'd preordered to play the beta to see how bad it was going to be), and it just wasn't engaging. The guns feel like peashooters, VATs is just aim assist but with extra jank, the animations are still the old Bethesda jank, it looks ancient, listening to audio logs wasn't fun or interesting when it was the main story. I lost interest in the story immediately, because I didn't really want to just go on a series of fetch quests, and explored for a bit. Constant framerate drops on the PS4- it ran far, far worse than Red Dead Redemption 2, for instance, despite looking a lot worse, and playing a lot worse.

Exploration was boring because its basically the same as you find in any other Bethesda fallout game. Some dilapidated buildings here, unenterable buildings there, some audio logs or whatever, no interesting characters (well... no characters at all this time). No new ideas, no interesting use of the setting, just janky, uninteresting enemies.

Moreover the whole recreational nukes thing (which is basically what the nuke mechanic is) feels like it goes against the whole idea of Fallout, the game felt soulless and the more I think about the more flaws I start seeing in previous Bethesda games.

Its a joke, and people defending it should stop supporting bad business practices. This year had RDR2, Assassins Creed Odyssey, etc. - plenty of new games that actually play well, function well, and in RDR2's case is arguably one of the best games of the decade- while Bethesda slap a £50-60 price tag on an uninspired cobbling of Fallout 4, Skyrim, and Rust.

Wow, this is bad. Even the critics, who normally stick up for Bethesda, have gone off on Bethesda for Fallout 76. Fallout 4 was bad but it wasn't on Fallout: POS level of bad. Now it looks like POS has a contender for title of "Worst Fallout Game". Well done Bethesda!

For some reason the word "Lore" nowadays makes my skin crawl, specially when people threat it as something that is measurable ("This game is choke full of lore"). I am guessing most of those people don't usually read books.

"See this book has a lot of pages, that means is good" they would say.... if they did read books. Probably when they read a comic they prefer if it has a shitload of panels per page too.

For some reason the word "Lore" nowadays makes my skin crawl, specially when people threat it as something that can is measurable ("This game is choke full of lore"). I am guessing most of those people don¡t usually read books.
No, like Petey Hines, they hate reading and dialogue. Which is why we ended up with Fallout 76.

You can't complain that the writing is shit if the game has a bunch of shittily writen notes on every toilet.

You can't complain that the writing is shit if the game has a bunch of shittily writen notes on every toilet.
Hey man, that is prime environmental storytelling! Forget the environmental storytelling of The Witcher 3 or Red Dead 2! Fallout 76 and its toilet notes and skeleton poses is where its at!

For some reason the word "Lore" nowadays makes my skin crawl, specially when people threat it as something that is measurable ("This game is choke full of lore"). I am guessing most of those people don't usually read books.

"See this book has a lot of pages, that means is good" they would say.... if they did read books. Probably when they read a comic they prefer if it has a shitload of panels per page too.

The kinds of people who call themselves gamers don't usually try to go into other hobbies at all besides maybe bad anime (no offense)

I think a lot of these people have a lack of perspective. I was arguing earlier with someone who actually said that Fallout is post-post apocalyptic because people actually rebuilt society and I was saying how dumb of a term that is because of redundancy and there's plenty of settings similar to Fallout in other art mediums like books

At least the lore has been resolved.

Enclave? BoS? All indig versions, and most importantly, all dead. Why? Fucking Zombies. Rescuemen and CEG? Dead. Raiders? ROBOTIFIED.

Fallout 76 is Bethesda's late and shitty addition to the DayZ/PUBG craze, and falls flat because of it. Someone tried - Maxson's Speech isn't all that bad and radio-proselytisation isn't that bad of an excuse - but Bethesda writ large fucked it up since conception, forcing it to be something it could never be.

I don't mind change, I wouldn't mind some co-op or multiplayer Fallout FPS MMO(RPG?!), but this was just a shit Battle Royale.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lore is supposed to SUPPORT a story, not be the only content. Any asshole can write a Wikipedia entry. Specially when they are 1 paragraph long.

This game is the equivalent of a truckstop toilet AIDS germ. Gameplay wise it's a failure, and it fits into the established canon like a square peg fits into a circular hole. Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse, Bethesda whores out the Fallout name to make a broken and boring Rust clone 4 years too late.

Ah... what a shitstorm 76 turned out to be.

On the bright side, there is a new game to share PoS's spot as worst Fallout game.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Scorchbeast

Boy oh boy. Nuking the surface REGULARLY is Necessary to keep everyone safe.... Do these people even get the point of the series?

So apparently the reason why there are "petrified corpses" next to intact buildings is not because the Nules magically only kill humans and leave property intact, but because of the Zombie virus that turns people into petrified corpses after a while, and it's a fungus. It's like Last of Us but writen by a 4 year old.

They should just say that neutron bombs were detonated and fuse fry those people.

Last edited:
So it's been 4 days since the release and on metacritic not a single version of the game has even gotten 4 reviews so a score can't be set yet on the critic side.
Is that normal? Don't they usually have a review embargo and they can't release reviews until the game hits so they write them a bit in advance and let them hit around the same time at release date? Where are all the critic reviews?

Oh and here are the scores:
Playstation:
#1 - 30 (negative)
Xbox
#1 - 65 (Mixed)
#2 - 56 (Mixed)
PC
#1 - 76 (Positive)
#2 - 60 (Mixed)
#3 - 50 (Mixed)

The only one that is positive has a "76", so I dunno if the score is a meme or joke or whatever on the name or if that is their real accurate score. I did skim that review though and there was an awful lot of criticism of the game for it to be rated positively.

[edit]

Oh and a video I watched that was a compilation of bugs and shit in F76 had moments of Todd talking and he kept saying that this was their biggest project to date and that they had help from multiple studios over and over again and... I'm just... Where? If this amount of work was done on it and had contributions from the other studios to perfect various aspects of the game then where is it? Is it in the bigger than the game itself patch? Has it hit yet? Where is the evidence that this is anything but a bunch of mods thrown together and taped with scotch tape?

Last edited:
how do you guys think, will this be a flop and an end to bethesda's fallout? or will they go back to the roots with fallout 5 and everything will be how it used to?

falliout.jpg

how do you guys think, will this be a flop and an end to bethesda's fallout? or will they go back to the roots with fallout 5 and everything will be how it used to?
I wouldn't talk of failure yet. Brings bad luck. It's true that neither Fallout 4 nor 76 have been much of a success among the community, but they still have their brain dead fans. I assume Fallout 5 will be more on the RPG side to try to regain some favour, however it will be still a mixed big because of compromise

I'd say give it 18 months and then ask again.

This game is online, meaning there will probably be constant bugfix maintenance and perhaps the occasional piece of new content. There's also the six DLCs we have to look out for. If 76 has a sizeable playerbase that's still going strong by mid-2020, then Bethesda might write off the initial backlash as expected growing pains and continue on their path.

There is a chance after this that if 76 does poorly, Bethesda will reel things back. I expect Fallout 5 to be most similar in terms of gameplay and writing to Fallout 3. SPECIAL and skills will probably return. I doubt it'll be a masterpiece, though.

If things go really badly and Bethesda tanks somehow (I see this as unlikely) then I can foresee Bethesda letting other studios at Zenimax take a crack at Fallout. Depending on the studio, that could be a good thing or a bad thing.

The only thing I see Bethesda possibly going back to is the dialogue. I doubt they will go back on anything else unless they start losing money.

Fallout 4 is what it is, and yet Bethesda made more money on that game than any other to date. They don't care if the game is bad and get a poor score, as long as it gives them tons of money.

They will care if they make a bad game, it sells well, then make a sequel and it sell very poorly. Then they will start wondering why they didn't sell as well and go back to the previous formula. They will give interviews with Todd saying that they tried new things and didn't work, so everyone should buy the next game because they will be back to the "roots" of what sold well.

If this game flops, I can definitely seem them going "we are going back to the roots" or "making a single player game like you wanted" for the next game and write off Fallout 76 as a mishap or an oopsie daisy and a lot of their fans will get hyped and Todd will go back to say "sweet little lies" as usual.

Back