Fallout: London trailer

Truth to be told, I have got no hope for this mod after New California and Frontier.

I could be wrong, but I will not hold my breath.

Hats off.png

Hats off to whoever's running this account, you're hilarious.

Honestly, even if it won't be "Fallout" beyond claims to be set in the same universe due to it's lack of similar material (A good choice rather than rehasing the Brotherhood and Supermutants for the 500th time), I think it still has a lot of potential.

From what I've seen so far it looks aesthetically interesting and I like the plot they're going for. If this mod is good in terms of writing, aesthetic design, gameplay, ect., it could easily be a unique take on a Dystopian London.

I've seen some 80s skinhead aesthetics for the raiders from their concept art, as well as suggestions that they'll be including Punk and Modder Subcultures and honestly I hope they lean in to that as much as possible: leaning in to the subcultures from the 80s in Britain and the violence they carried out on one another would be perfect for a setting that's Post-Apocalyptic London.

Just because it won't have the fundemental Fallout touches doesn't mean it can't be a fun setting in it's own right.

Truth to be told, I have got no hope for this mod after New California and Frontier.

I could be wrong, but I will not hold my breath.
Well, the Fallout London Twitter did say that "Frontier is how not to make a mod". That and you still had stuff like Salt Lake Stories.

Just because it won't have the fundemental Fallout touches doesn't mean it can't be a fun setting in it's own right.
Then why call it Fallout? They could have just named it anything else if it's not gonna have hardly anything to do with Fallout's themes and aethestics. And no, no one saying to recycle BoS and Super Mutants for the 500th time, because that's not what Fallout is.

And what does Fallout have to do with 80s stuff? Fallout's entire schtick since day one is the 50s trying to predict the future, what does the 80s have to do with that?

Obviously i'm not saying for people to not get excited for this, but we give Bethesda so much shit (with good reason) for completely misinterpreting the setting, why do mods like these get a pass?

Last edited:
Then why call it Fallout? They could have just named it anything else if it's not gonna have hardly anything to do with Fallout's themes and aethestics. And no, no one saying to recycle BoS and Super Mutants for the 500th time, because that's not what Fallout is.

And what does Fallout have to do with 80s stuff? Fallout's entire schtick since day one is the 50s trying to predict the future, what does the 80s have to do with that?

Obviously i'm not saying for people to not get excited for this, but we give Bethesda so much shit (with good reason) for completely misinterpreting the setting, why do mods like these get a pass?
Eh, it's a mod for Fallout and is roughly going to take place in the same universe I assume.

So I don't care that it's called Fallout, and just hope it's good.

Fallout had a strong 80s influence in the post-apocalyptic parts of its design, I guess. I always felt it was the 50s WORLD OF TOMORROW with the social collapse and ultimate catastrophe of Mad Max happening to it.
I mean, this isn't exactly a 1950s vision of the future, innit:
latest

The punk-inspired 80s PA-movie style had been a thing from the start for many character designs.

I think the world of Fallout outside the US would be interesting. Other countries had slightly different interpretations of the future, and in the universe of Fallout their collapse would work out in different ways.
15ba04f6e6b5e621e5da293da98c3585.jpg

This is a german illustration from '68, for example. You'll find that the difference between the futuristic visions didn't differ that much between nations since the whole point was going for something radically new, but you'll find some interesting details that differ.
This is soviet, for example.
591c35707fa44c5a7d001f02.format-webp.width-1440_Ocjl06bbmwrT98cS.webp

I think it would be quite interesting to explore the styles and architectures and developments of other countries in the universe of Fallout, treat it more as a general setting with some fundamental rules from which the design and style derives, rather than a specific and fixed setting around the american west coast.

If Fallout: London doesn't have copious references to Clockwork Orange, I'll be very disappointed.

I'll just repost what I said in the first Jogre thread

I'm going to be rather negative here and say that London and Britain as a whole (as a half Brit) is a godawful setting for Fallout for a myriad of reasons. I'm not a fan of non-US Fallout for personal taste reasons but England particularly vexes me as a choice.

Narratively it's the bottom of the barrel in terms of non-US countries for a Fallout story. If you're doing non-US Fallout, you do China. Even then, I'd sooner see non-mainland USA such as Alaska or Hawaii.

Thematically it's also a really poor fit. Fallout is built off the back of Cold War zeitgeist, something which I don't think the UK makes a great case for in terms of setting. Again, China is an obvious pick here: Fallout's dystopian retrofuture from the perspective of the communist bloc rather than the USA's irrelevant little kid brother (during the Cold War). Similarly, the Mad Max desert Wasteland tone for the post-war obviously really falls in England too.

Do I think you could make a cool post-apoc game in England with retro themes? Absolutely. Do I think you could make a cool Fallout game in England? Fucking no I do not. There's literally nothing that makes Fallout in that setting. It just seems like a misguided mod project IMO

I'll just repost what I said in the first Jogre thread

I'm going to be rather negative here and say that London and Britain as a whole (as a half Brit) is a godawful setting for Fallout for a myriad of reasons. I'm not a fan of non-US Fallout for personal taste reasons but England particularly vexes me as a choice.

Narratively it's the bottom of the barrel in terms of non-US countries for a Fallout story. If you're doing non-US Fallout, you do China. Even then, I'd sooner see non-mainland USA such as Alaska or Hawaii.

Thematically it's also a really poor fit. Fallout is built off the back of Cold War zeitgeist, something which I don't think the UK makes a great case for in terms of setting. Again, China is an obvious pick here: Fallout's dystopian retrofuture from the perspective of the communist bloc rather than the USA's irrelevant little kid brother (during the Cold War). Similarly, the Mad Max desert Wasteland tone for the post-war obviously really falls in England too.

Do I think you could make a cool post-apoc game in England with retro themes? Absolutely. Do I think you could make a cool Fallout game in England? Fucking no I do not. There's literally nothing that makes Fallout in that setting. It just seems like a misguided mod project IMO
How would England not work for Cold War zeitgeist?
The UK was, besides Germany as the projected main conventional battlefield, projected to be the first to be nuked, and there was a strong and healthy fear during the Cold War. The UK wasn't exactly irrelevant in the Cold War either, providing, along with France, the most european nuclear firepower.
That being said, the whole "Cold War zeitgeist" wasn't really that strong in Fallout until Fallout 3, anyway. Fallout 1 in particular has very little reference to pre-war location and culture. It is, after all, post-apocalyptic and it's a new strange world that develops from the War, not from the 1950s mindset.

My beef is how damn intact everything is. The damn Bonyard was miles of twisted steel and jagged concrete. Nowadays everything is just a little run down looking and the streets are kinda fucked. congrats the nuclear apocalypse turned the world into Detroit.
Fallout 1 in particular has very little reference to pre-war location and culture.
I think as we move further on here people seem to forget this part. beyond the Zeerust look of items and some of the robots most of the rarely seen culture of the pre-war world in Falout 1 was the faded and burnt adverts on the sides of broken and shattered buildings and wrecked automobiles were nothing more of a tombstone of what was. Fallout 3 ever wanting to be set in two different times acting like the apocalypse just happened within living memory despite being set over 200 years later has people trying to repair bethesda's shit writing to have it make some semblance of sense.

This is a travesty. Fallout can ONLY be set in California. It must be in isometric perspective, and released in the late 90s by Interplay or subsidiaries. Soundtrack must be composed by Mark Morgan, and it must contain few, if any, recognizable landmarks.

Even though this a joke, I actually agree with some of the points. I really do think fallout should contain only a few recognizable landmarks. 200 years after the war, after the bombs fell and everything looks like it was struck by a recent hurricane not nuclear war. Everytown bethesda has made so far has looked way too good for it's setting and so does this mod. Also even though I will get flack for this. Fallout really should of stayed isometric.

Edit: After rewatching this trailer again. Another problem I have with mod, is that it is 50's styled instead of looking retro futurist.

Last edited:
Even though this a joke, I actually agree with some of the points. I really do think fallout should contain only a few recognizable landmarks. 200 years after the war, after the bombs fell and everything looks like it was struck by a recent hurricane not nuclear war. Everytown bethesda has made so far has looked way too good for it's setting and so does this mod. Also even though I will get flack for this. Fallout really should of stayed isometric.

Edit: After rewatching this trailer again. Another problem I have with mod, is that it is 50's styled instead of looking retro futurist.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of the Tomorrowland + radiation theme park approach to Fallout.

I think the world of Fallout outside the US would be interesting. Other countries had slightly different interpretations of the future, and in the universe of Fallout their collapse would work out in different ways.
15ba04f6e6b5e621e5da293da98c3585.jpg

This is a german illustration from '68, for example. You'll find that the difference between the futuristic visions didn't differ that much between nations since the whole point was going for something radically new, but you'll find some interesting details that differ.
This is soviet, for example.
591c35707fa44c5a7d001f02.format-webp.width-1440_Ocjl06bbmwrT98cS.webp

I think it would be quite interesting to explore the styles and architectures and developments of other countries in the universe of Fallout, treat it more as a general setting with some fundamental rules from which the design and style derives, rather than a specific and fixed setting around the american west coast.

If Fallout: London doesn't have copious references to Clockwork Orange, I'll be very disappointed.

Earlier joking aside, I do think it's tough to make these nods to architecture and aesthetics while still maintaining something that feels like original Fallout to me. And I don't mean because Fallout has to be in America. Bethesda has been doing this retrofuturist take on the series, but one of the reasons it has never worked for me is that the world of Fallout never looked like that aspirational 50s future world.

Because the game was isometric and there was very little old world architecture, I might be projecting a bit. But part of the point to me was that the Fallout world always looked like its own thing, and never was the Jetsons paradise America that the advertising claimed, even before the bombs fell.

Last edited:
Yeah, I'm not a fan of the Tomorrowland + radiation theme park approach to Fallout.

Earlier joking aside, I do think it's tough to make these nods to architecture and aesthetics while still maintaining something that feels like original Fallout to me. And I don't mean because Fallout has to be in America. Bethesda has been doing this retrofuturist take on the series, but one of the reasons it has never worked for me is that the world of Fallout never looked like that aspirational 50s future world.

Because the game was isometric and there was very little old world architecture, I might be projecting a bit. But part of the point to me was that the Fallout world always looked like its own thing, and never was the Jetsons paradise America that the advertising claimed, even before the bombs fell.
Yeah, Fallout didn't have much to show in that regard. The biggest architectural design elements were those art deco-like heads on some buildings. The fact that the world is heavily ruined kinda makes it easier and harder to make something "feel" like Fallout, since there's little to go by except some very esotheric feeling.

This is a Bethesda fan level take
It's not. That's literally how the setting has been since the first Fallout game. Sure, there might have been some inspiration for other eras for some other things (mainly Mad Max), but Fallout's thing was that it was the 50s trying to predict the future.

And there's a giant difference between taking stuff from Mad Max, and have your setting take stuff from the 80s that had nothing to do with Mad Max. And they took stuff from the Mad Max series because it was also a franchise that used an apocalyptic event for their setting and plot and not because there was 80s stuff in it.

Last edited:
Back