Isometric TBRPG or New Vegas-styled FPSRPG?

Ben Soto

Professional Salt Shaker
The title is really all you need. Which would be better for the next Fallout game?

I personally feel keeping with an FPSRPG style would be the best course of action. I liked Fallout 1, but it's gameplay was absolutely horrible. Meanwhile, NV and (from what people seem to be saying) Fallout 4 have pretty good and fun gameplay. Besides, if we get a decent writer on board, the FPSRPG angle could work a lot better.

I'd be fine with either, honestly. I don't like first person shooters but having a pause like VATS and an emphasis on roleplaying with a lot of negative space to do stuff other than fight makes them tolerable. I think the FPSRPG would definitely sell better though.

I enjoy both equally. The turn-based gameplay complements the RPG mechanics better, but the first-person perspective gives the nice sense of being thoroughly immersed in the Fallout universe. I'm fine with either and I find the perspective and gameplay to be the least of the problems with Fallout. What people don't get when debating Fallout (outside of NMA, anyway) is that it's not about the gameplay. It's about the world.

I'm thinking New Vegas FPS.

The problem with a lot of games is that they either have too much story, so they don't focus on fun-having, or vice-versa.

This is why I love New Vegas.

One of the closest balance between both fun and story I've ever seen.

Although, the map could be a bit better and maybe the gunplay was clunky.

Isometric TBRPG,

I enjoyed New Vegas but I'm not much of a fan of the FPS aspect of it though, I have love for FPS games but I prefer not having it in RPGs.

The thing about the FPSRPG games is the need to render and create ALL details as opposed to not having to do all of that for isometric. Also due to engine limitations you have to make sure for enough NPCs, houses/buildings, etc in towns and cities. Then you have the map feeling scrunched up and tiny due to how close everything is together.
@Walpknut explained it perfectly a long while back.

I would be okay with a FPSRPG but with all of the FPS/TPS games filling up the market I've grown sick and tired of the popamole gameplay that has become popular in games in recent times, it can be fun but it's usually the same "hide behind cover and pop out to shoot the enemy in the head" gameplay.

You don't have to worry about "graphix" either since the view is further away.

Just my two cents, nothing important.

I like twitch based combat, turnbased can sometimes annoy me if an enemy is in my face and I miss knowing in real time that wouldn't have happened. Honestly I don't care much either way as long as the story isn't fucking trash again.

The only reason I enjoy New Vegas' shooting is because I run it modded to hell. I can go either way, I enjoy both turn based and action games. I just want deep gameplay with lots of variations.
Modded it using what mods if you don't mind me asking?

Project Nevada, AI Overhaul and Project Ultimatum along with a bunch of new weapon and armor mods and leveled list modifications.

I'm definitely an isometric RPG fan. I liked New Vegas, but I relied heavily on the VATS function which pretty much limits the character builds I can go with. I'll need high perception and agility just to be able to use VATS properly. :(

I'm so bad at shooters it's embarrassing. The whole immersion argument doesn't do anything for me either. Isometric view combined with text is a lot more immersive for me, actually. Maybe I'm just weird like that, but the whole first person business mainly just stresses me out.

I just want deep gameplay with lots of variations.
I agree, that's all I really want from a Fallout game.

I'm so bad at shooters it's embarrassing. The whole immersion argument doesn't do anything for me either. Isometric view combined with text is a lot more immersive for me, actually. Maybe I'm just weird like that, but the whole first person business mainly just stresses me out.

Since the release of Super Hot, it got me wondering if a First Person turn based RPG can exist. Time would stop and AP could be used to move around, shoot, open inventory, etc. I digress. What I mean to ask is, would you enjoy playing a First Person turn based RPG if it is at all possible?

I prefer isometric and turn-based. I like strategy more than I like gunning shit down.
Fallout is about character skill, not player skill. Isometric is better at that than first person.

Since the release of Super Hot, it got me wondering if a First Person turn based RPG can exist. Time would stop and AP could be used to move around, shoot, open inventory, etc. I digress. What I mean to ask is, would you enjoy playing a First Person turn based RPG if it is at all possible?
I could probably live with a system like that. It does sound kind of weird, though. I think they'd have to come up with some pretty interesting mechanics to make this feel realistic. Then again, realism is overrated anyway. That's why I play video games.

I wouldn't care either way as long as it were executed well. But let's be realistic, we won't be seeing anything isometric or turn-based coming out of Bethesda, nor probably anything well-executed if Fallout 4 is any indication.

My guess is that they're going to take the Fallout series more in the direction of Fallout 4 and keep dropping more and more RPG elements from their games. It's a development that's been going on for quite a while now, and I don't see why they'd suddenly stop. I mean, it sold really well, why not stick with it, then?

Last edited:
My guess is that they're going to take the Fallout series more in the direction of Fallout 4 and keep dropping more and more RPG elements from their games. It's a development that's been going on for quite a while now, and I don't see why they'd suddenly stop. I mean, it sold really well, why not stick with it, then?

What makes me question the likelihood of this experience is that other AAA RPG developers in the west had followed a similar path, but eventually reached a point where the mechanical streamlining was too much and actually reversed course on this. Like Bioware agreed that Mass Effect 2 had too limited weapon selection and character customization, so they massively increased loadout choices (even adding encumbrance as a mechanic) and added choices at nearly every level of the various skills, rather than just the last one. Dragon Age: Inquisition was a much more tactical game than its predecessor, with many more character customization options.

It's conceivable that Bethesda will follow the same trajectory where they'll step back from the proverbial abyss and say "you know,
'yes, yes, later, and sarcastic' isn't a good basis for a dialogue system and there should be more quests that aren't 'shoot those guys'."

Any time you keep pushing a trend further and further, you're going to reach the point where it's too much. Perhaps Fallout 4 is that point for Bethesda.

Last edited:

I'm more hopeful, Fallout 4 is getting some mixed reviews, and many people are disappointed with the game. I know with its success they could completely ignore their long time fans and just pander to the newcomers (people who played only Fallout 4). But it might be a stupid idea, because the long time fans are responsible for massively advertising the game. They're the fuel to their hype train.

Back