NMA Podcast #5: Interview with Chris Avellone!

Hassknecht

For hate's sake.
Staff member
Admin
Board Cop oTO
Orderite
Now usually the NMA Podcast isn't exactly newsworthy, but in this installment there is something special going on: An interview with this guy:
:hatersgonnahate:
Chris Avellone! You might know him from classic games like Star Trek: Starfleet Academy and some random games nobody cares about, like Fallout 2 and Planescape: Torment.
Anyway, here's the interview:

"You have to take account the options for Speech and conversation, and not spoil the combat-centered characters. Some game masters forget that."
Reminds me of something...
"Did you guys find the transition of Fallout 2 to Fallout 3 very jarring?"
:Everyone bites their tongue:

Swell interview.

I sure would've opened up at the question about how jarring the move from Fallout 2 to 3 was...

wow, why someone not ask him for his input on the nuka break film? :(

Last edited:
You mean '...for his input on the Nuka Break film.'

Overall, I was trying to keep the questions moving with the line of responses he had for us. Hence why you'll see me bring up things he mentioned before asking him a question so often.

Very nice and nice that he is open for a round two. If/when that happens I would be interested in being part of it. I didn't realize that @AgentBJ09 would be willing to read text to him, I don't have a microphone but wouldn't mind asking him some questions. Would have been nice imo if there where some shoutouts to the members that asked questions and if a shoutout was done for @Ragemage for getting the interview juices flowing.

Edit:
I thought I should give my answer here for Chris' question as @Hassknecht was really the only one to answer it out of a panel of 6 people.

I played Fallout 1 when it came out and thought it was the greatest game to ever be created. I found it frustrating with all the dialogue and how old I was, but very rewarding.

Fallout 2 succeeded Fallout 1 for me. I loved the car, companions and stealing guns off of guards, I put a lot of time in and still do to this day, ranked one of my favorite games of all time. I liked that I had to save constantly because the world of Fallout 2 is very cruel to the Chosen One. The amount and variety of random encounters is enough to keep me coming back.

When I saw the commercial for Fallout 3 and that it was made by, at that time, one of my favorite companies, I was like a kid waiting for xmas day. I was excited because I knew of the love I had for 2. When I played Fallout 3 something unfortunate happened. I was cycling the thought of, "When does it get good?" I personally feel one has earned the right to criticize something when and only when having played or invested time in it.

I played it a number of times to get the full picture and to discover what I didn't like as non-objectionably as possible.

I love player agency, but even in it's absence, the illusion of impact or a footprint should be solid. Fallout 3 left me feeling that literally anything I did didn't matter. The world felt hollow. The people felt hollow. The people felt like they were placed by a level designer into a world that was supposed to be a envisionment of Fallout, but not like they live there or were a part of anything other then a scene. On top of that, they were not interesting. Exploration to me seemed very linear and static.

My transition to Fallout 3 left me depressed and disappointed in Bethesda. At that point I sort of gave up on the Fallout franchise. One day about a year after New Vegas was released, I stumbled upon it by chance looking for info on Fallout 2. I had a slight curiosity and did not know who Obsidian was. I thought it looked too colorful and chalked it up to being another bad Bethesda ripoff. A few months went by and I was very bored, I bought a physical copy of it in a game store. Played it, loved it. Felt like a Fallout game to me, disappointed there was no car :), but it has tied with 2 now. Review of Fallout 4 is in my signature.

Last edited:
Swell interview.

I sure would've opened up at the question about how jarring the move from Fallout 2 to 3 was...
The move itself couldn't be that jarring it was like a ten year difference.

Edit:never mind I'm dumb. Just now fully understood what you meant.

I think a good question for round 2 would be:
Did you see the The Shandification of Fallout video by MrBtongue? If so, how did it make you feel, if not, why?

I would still like if my question was asked from round one, do Super mutants retain original memories post dipping, if so, what are the odds.

What types of made modifications do you find the most impressive.

Do you still play Fallout 1/2/NV?

and this.

The way he phrased his answer to the question at 9:05, makes me wonder if he was referring to mods such as F2RP and Fixt.

Hmm...

Back