NMA Podcast #5: Interview with Chris Avellone!

Dopamine Cleric and I were talking about this for quite some time. Good to see someone took the initiative and got it done. NMA still has a pulse however faint it may be.

I gain a lot of respect for Chris Avellone for adding the companion dialogues.

I really wish more people would experiment with the combat system. Neither like the combat system of Fallout 1/2 or the combat system of the new Fallout titles. I didn't like the idea that Van Buren was going to have a separate turn based and real time mode. However, I would imagine that the pen and paper mock up wouldn't really work with those system. I disliked how I couldn't exit combat mode until I killed everybody in the floor that wanted to kill me. In FO2, I stuffed a lot of TNT into AHS-9's desk to avoid having to fight everyone in the floor.

I'd say we should probably either sort something for the end of the year, or start of next year (in terms of a Chris Avellone interview).

But saying that, why don't we take this chance to open those doors and try and get a Josh Sawyer interview, or even one with Brian Fargo, hell, we could always try and get Tim Cain as well.

Plus I felt important trying emails from Chris... Ah, that was a good few months.

Does Tim Cain even do interviews anymore?

I'm pretty sure Josh can be interviewed. IIRC he still responds to FNV related question on that, uhm, blog thingy of his or something.

The last Interview I was able to find with Tim Cain was published August 2015, it was about diversity in the games industry. My search results were fucked up because of Tim Kaine's VP nomination though, so there might have been a more recent one.

I'd say we should probably either sort something for the end of the year, or start of next year (in terms of a Chris Avellone interview).

But saying that, why don't we take this chance to open those doors and try and get a Josh Sawyer interview, or even one with Brian Fargo, hell, we could always try and get Tim Cain as well.

Plus I felt important trying emails from Chris... Ah, that was a good few months.
Maybe when NMA does another interview with one of the creators of Fallout or Fallout 2 we can have more then a 1:6 ratio of people that played the games chronologically or at all. I was a little embarrassed to find that most NMAers were introduced to the franchise through FO3 or NV, not that there is anything wrong with that, but perhaps a more diverse cast next time? @Hassknecht was the only one who was able to answer Chris' question properly out of six members. Making it sound like if it wasn't for Bethesda, these 'hardcore fans' wouldn't have known about 1 or 2, not going to mention any names, but it seemed like even one of the member never played 1 or 2.

I believe he's referring to when Chris asked the change from fo2 to fo3 felt jarring.
Indeed. I said it wasn't THAT jarring for me because while I was expecting a very different Fallout game (having been hyped for Van Buren for years), I was also a big fan of Morrowind already, so I was already used to Bethesda's style of doing things. Although Oblivion sucked, and I didn't have the highest of hopes for Fallout 3 to not suck as well...

Which question was that?
I believe he's referring to when Chris asked the change from fo2 to fo3 felt jarring.
I can't listen to the whole thing again.
Yes, most members on the podcast said that they started with FO3, NV, never played 1 or two or never played 3.
I suggested having a one on one might be better before this whole thing and I see the value of having more people involved, to a degree, and nothing against the other 5, but can we please get at least one more person who has Fallout experience from 1997 and less from 2008, maybe a mix of like 2 oldies, two midies, and two noobs, instead of 1 oldie and no offense 4 midies and 1 noob. Where's the Order? Guess they feel they don't need to represent with Chris in the house.
>NMA4Shame

Yes, most members on the podcast said that they started with FO3, NV, never played 1 or two or never played 3.
I suggested having a one on one might be better before this whole thing and I see the value of having more people involved, to a degree, and nothing against the other 5, but can we please get at least one more person who has Fallout experience from 1997 and less from 2008, maybe a mix of like 2 oldies, two midies, and two noobs, instead of 1 oldie and no offense 4 midies and 1 noob. Where's the Order? Guess they feel they don't need to represent with Chris in the house.
>NMA4Shame
Well, where were you :P
NMA is getting younger, nothing we can do about it. People like me who started with Fallout 1 around the new Millenium are all approaching their Thirties and start to stop giving a fuck about video games.

Well, where were you :P
NMA is getting younger, nothing we can do about it. People like me who started with Fallout 1 around the new Millenium are all approaching their Thirties and start to stop giving a fuck about video games.
Next Podcast with Chris or any other Fallout dev I would like an invite. My current situation I don't have a mic, I might in the future, but I would still like to be a part of it, and I won't be a dbag to them, don't worry. :)

Next Podcast with Chris or any other Fallout dev I would like an invite. My current situation I don't have a mic, I might in the future, but I would still like to be a part of it, and I won't be a dbag to them, don't worry. :)
The podcasts are free for all, anyway, no invites necessary :D

Shouldn't be too long, I think it's planned to be about Nuka World and the final words on Failout 4.

>NMA4Shame

We can try, but that all depends on schedules and availability. Plus, there's participants not having mics, or having connection issues, which is an easily solved problem if what we're using has a chat window.

We can try, but that all depends on schedules and availability. Plus, there's participants not having mics, or having connection issues, which is an easily solved problem if what we're using has a chat window.
Well, I guess I'm an oldie when it comes to Fallout, not a lore buff or anything, but like @Atomkilla I would be interested in a podcast that was more 1/2/NV/Mod/Fallout Developer related. I would hate to be the hobo without a mic, but it is a matter of having a seasoned Fallout player I have put over 500 hours into each game. I have also Privately modded NV and Fallout 4 (Fallout 4 to get a slight familiarity of the system and to see changes, or to confirm suspicions, nothing significant)

Well, the next one will likely be the last to really focus much on Fallout 4, so in the future it will likely be more about the originals.

Back