[POLL] Have you played Wasteland!?

Have you played Wasteland?

• Total voters
What's with the Wasteland game?it's just an old pixel game,i didn't played it because it's way to old.I don't even know why ppl are talking about it???

So, you don't play shit because it's old? Is that what your trying to say. What the fuck are you even doing on a website dedicated to the original Fallout's then?

Abull "This game's awesome!"
Some other retard "Yeah, it was made in the 80's"
Abull "What!?! Fuck that!"

Last edited:
I am not sure it is dedicated to the old games. There are Fo3, FoNV, and future Fallout sections. There is even a section about FoBOS.
Just that the forum existed before Fo3 and that the members took it hard as they had a significant knowledge of the franchise and its goals.
There is a lot of love for FONV here, and i am pretty sure that if some day, purposly or not, Bethesda manage to make a good Fallout, it would be praised even here.

There is a lot of love for FONV here, and i am pretty sure that if some day, purposly or not, Bethesda manage to make a good Fallout, it would be praised even here.
If they did, ~in theory~ I'd be among the first to applaud it... but in practice, I couldn't be among the first, because I'd probably be a month late; having assumed it was not worth it, and impossible due to company policies of design. They make fantastic assets and 3d worlds, but the very concepts that would make a great Fallout game, are detrimental to their design ethos and very calculated plan for improved sales; one that's been proven correct time and again ~sadly.

I have played Wasteland many times in the last decade or so; but I didn't see it the first time around... Back then I was playing Gold Box and Legend series RPGs. I did complete Destiny Knight; and have all three of the Bard's Tale games installed... It's why I bought InXile's recent Bard'sTale spin-off, it came with official BT installers.

Last edited:
No, I will stick with the sequel. The original seems unplayable. What is the plot behind? Does it have any choices that affects the world? Is there alternative ways to solve quests?

Last edited:
No, I will stick with the sequel. The original seems unplayable. What is the plot behind? Does it have any choices that affects the world? Is there alternative ways to solve quests?

Your questions are easily answered with a web search. But to answer them: 1) A madman bent on changing the world, 2) Yes, 3) Yes

They have re-released it with new graphics.

But for anyone that really wants to know the game, but cannot seem to play through it... A fellow named Tord did an excellent 14 part let's play of it; and he is a top notch roleplayer to boot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvYcu5qaO-s&list=PL74BAB66E726A508F

He doesn't see it all.

Just be careful; his voice can become very irritating after a while. I couldn't make it past the 4th segment. I don't think this wall-of-monologue style of video series suits him. Mostly because he apparently can't ever speak in more than one specific fashion, so everything sounds the same.

Who wants to listen a guy ramble in near-monotone for a few hours, making no differentiation in expression between whether he's reading interface text, paragraphs, or various characters? Screw that. We might as well have this guy do the LP:

Last edited by a moderator:
Considering the way the save system works, it you screw up, you have to restart from the beginning.
Well, i am kind off hoping for an optional save scuming feature.
For those who are not willing to restart from scratch upon losing their party, here is the

Wasteland Unofficial Multiple-Save Game Method:

1. In-game, manually save the game at a point you want to be able to restore.
2. Exit the game.
3. In your file explorer, find the Wasteland root folder.
4. Copy the folder, including sub-folders, to a back-up location.
5. Rename the back-up folder, something like "Wasteland Save Game 2014-07-20.A"
6. Relaunch Wasteland.
7. Resume playing.

To restore a save game at any point:

1. Exit the game.
2. Delete the Wasteland root folder. Bye-bye current (failed) game.
3. Copy the desired savegame folder to the previous Wasteland root folder location.
4. Rename the savegame folder to the original Wasteland root folder name.
5. Launch Wasteland. The game will start from your savegame point.

I'll bet the original, sadomasochistic development team never envisioned *that* awesome workaround. Take that, short-sighted suckers!

-m

p.s. Slicerdicers!

I use the crash to desktop feature (or rather the windows keyboard shorcuts that allow it) so it doesn't save the current/last fight.

5545 Trey >

I've not finished it.
There are different ways to solve problems, but they don't seem that numerous so far. But when they are, they seem balanced.
About C&C, it is not that deep, as most locations are self-contained and there is no reputation system that i am aware of. (beside you're fine or you pissed them and they will always be hostile)

What was new, and quite a Revolution at the time is that your choice remain aknowledged.
Most games that came before resetted the locations when you left them, to spare some space.
Here, if you kill a whole village or piss-off somebody, the village will remain dead or the guy will remain angry agains't you forever.
There is no status quo, but you live with the consequences of your actions, as the locations remain how you left them.
There is no forgivness after three days, no magic resurrection of dead NPC.

Good point, naossano; I'd forgotten that map areas not resetting was a new thing; it added a whole new level of excitement about the game. It made you worry about screwing something up, which really changed your game play: increasing the level of suspense and sense of danger.

I can still remember starting a fight in the bar in Quartz (iirc) and turning the whole place against my party, and kicking myself every time I went back there because I couldn't figure out how to complete one of the quests after everyone wanted to fight me instead of talk. And because of the no-savegame feature, I spent hours racking my brain and trying different ways to get around the mess I'd created. It definitely drove me to be more creative in my problem-solving - and more cautious and thoughtful in subsequent play-throughs.

-m

Finally finished it for the first time. (and maybe the last)

I guess i will have to make some kind of review later.

In short, i have some mixed feelings about it. The core of the gameplay seems all about fighting and riddles, and less about story & character interaction, which doesn't fit well with my taste and the time i consent to throw in those. On the other hand, it has some tone, plot point, and game mechanics design that i think would benefit to some other games.

Strangelly, i am currently more interested to do a little more post-end playing (not much since i used a playthrough for most of the game), than playing Wasteland 2 right after it.

IMO, the game's lore seems to work more on the imagination than in the actual delivery. You have an atmosphere, some pictures, a few description, and the locations layout, and you let your brain fill the blanks... A kind of design that i often despise in other games, but somehow works there, as the whole point is to throw you in the middle of that world and let you deal with it.

If by play, you include wasting time on it for 5 minutes before uninstalling, then yes. I feel like it's accomplishments that made it worthwhile to play back then have been surpassed already, most notably by fallout itself. And besides, I don't have the commitment necessary to read up on how to play properly to the point where I don't suck too much to finish a first quest.

I feel like it's accomplishments that made it worthwhile to play back then have been surpassed already, most notably by fallout itself.

I would say that Fallout is mostly better, but there are still some game mechanics that i enjoyed in Wasteland 1 that i don't find much often in other games. (that aren't in Fallout)

Back