Recommended mod thread

Biges

First time out of the vault
Hi!
I want to play Fallout 3 for the first time, so I'd like to ask which mods/unofficial patches should I install to fix the design glitches and put back more of the F1/F2 atmosphere.
One of them is the Compenium I suppose? But it has not been updated for quite some time, has it?
Thanks

F3C plays very differently from the origianl FO3. It's much more difficult and not very newbie friendly. If you are a veteran FO / FO 2 player, you should honestly have no problem. It's still easy. However, if you've never played through FO3 originally, you should at least do a short run through of the game (which should take you about 10-15 hours if you rush) to familiarize yourself with the game.

Well, 'must have' varies from person to person. I would recommend Dread Dogmeat, Mart's Mutant Mod and ACE Cripple Effects no matter what. F3C has some very good bits (the xp system, ap use in real time, etc) but also some bad bits (like having food heal way too much, etc). I would recommend using FOMM and GECK to use whatever custom weapons you like and modify some of the aforementioned mods to your liking. There are some very good custom weapons out there are not in F3C (like the Junk Metal Weapons or 14mm pistol) but both those weapons and the ones in the F3C should have their damage numbers tweaked (real easy). For added awesome, I would recommend the mod that disables bobblehead effects.

The following mods I have installed
-F3C (Every game should have this)
-The settlers
-Buildable bots
-The settlers RTS

Some new quests are added as well

-I've been trying to find a working Hunger and Thrist mod. I've tried a couple but they stop working after a while.

I'm using
-FOOK + FOOKU
-XFO (This mod has thirst and hunger by the way)
-GTS

Haven't used F3C yet, I was going to wait for the new damage system to be implemented before I checked it out.

Id say must have mods are:

Classic fallout Weapons Beta
EnclaveCommander
Enclave_Enabled_by_Moira_Brown
Marts_Mutant_Mod_1-RC1
MMMF3_-_Increased_Spawns
Nanotech_Perk_Pack
RobCo_Certified
TacticalWeapons
Weapon Mod Kits

DForge said:
Are those mods compatible with DLC?

CFW and WMK are compatible with everything.

Zombie Cemetery, an add-on of sorts to MMM and utterly fucking great, is compatible with everything.

MMM is sort-of compatible with everything. The Pitt isn't supported yet (but works fine), and one of the very last optional dialogue choices in the MQ is borked, making it possible (but not inevitable) to break Broken Steel.

Fallout Wanderer's Edition (FWE) is incompatible with Broken Steel, patch 1.5 and does not support (but doesn't break) Operation Anchorage and The Pitt.

FWE includes a total skill, SPECIAL and combat overhaul, new repair, injury, radiation, food and sleep systems, and its own custom versions of pretty much every decent 'realism' mod so far made (including the ones mentioned in this thread).

As you may have gathered, it is my humble opinion you're severely screwing yourself if you're not using FWE. The only things it doesn't make MOAR BETTER are detection and sneak modifiers, and that's a bug you can fix with 2 console commands, or by loading the relevant bits of XFO after FWE.

I'd suggest using Fasttravel Encounters too, but I can't make it work. YMMV.

Existence 2.0 Radio station mod. This mod is awesome! the new music is very good, and there is tons of it. I listen to it on my foobar when surfing the net I like it so much.

http://www.fallout3nexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=4968

Stick to the load order list at the bottom of that link as a rough guide. About as close to FCOM for Oblivion as you can get. Makes the game infinitely more playable and very difficult.

My own load order:

Fallout3.esm
Anchorage.esm
ThePitt.esm
BrokenSteel.esm
CALIBR.esm
FOOK.esm
FWE_FO3_Wanderers_Edition.esm
Mart's Mutant Mod.esm
FOOK.esp
DarNifiedUIF3.esp
DUIF3Extras.esp
FWE_00_QUEST.esp
FWE_01_COMBAT.esp
FWE_02_COMBAT_II.esp
FWE_03_CHARACTER.esp
FWE_04_CHARACTER_II.esp
FWE_05_ITEMLOOT_III.esp
FWE_05_ITEMLOOT_II.esp
FWE_05_ITEMLOOT.esp
FWE_06_SPAWNS.esp
FWE_07_IMMERSION.esp
FWE_08_FEATURES.esp
FWE Compatibility - FOOK.esp
WeaponModKits.esp
WeaponModKits - FOOK + FWE.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - Increased Spawns.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - Tougher Traders.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - Zones Respawn.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - Natural Selection.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - FOOK + FWE.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - Broken Steel.esp
NoUndiscoveredCompassMarkers(kalniel).esp
XFO_Pacing_Epic.esp

Total active plugins: 34
Total plugins: 35

Also (and this is very important) you want FO3EDIT, specifically the Fo3MasterUpdate bit, which all but solves the 1.5 patch/broken steel/mod incompatibility problems.
http://www.bethsoft.com/bgsforums/index.php?showtopic=994828

XFO looks like the winner when it's actually finished

Right now, I'd say it's Welcome to the Wasteland that's the major overhaul.

I've kind of given up on F3C

These may be repeated, but here are a few I consider essential to truly enjoying your modded game:

1. XFO
2. FOOK
3. MMM

Those are the big three. Adds a metric ton of content to the game.

There are also Level cap expanders, Skill cap extenders, and Wasteland Mastery Mod which gives a point to going above 100 points

XFO's webpage has a suggested Mod list, and they give a ton of great suggestions.

My personal favorite hands down is Robco Certified. Nothing like building your own army of robots. Animal Whisperer is supposed to be the animal version of the Mod, but i've never tried it.

I've been playing with XFO a bit. I can say the settings I have make the game substantially more difficult. Particularly the slow pacing (affecting experience gained), enemy rebalance, weapon accuracy, rarities, and necessities.

The slow pacing is really a kick in the pants. It takes forever to gain a level.

Med rarity is positively brutal, I have not found a single stimpack in a medkit. It's definitely the change that makes it the most difficult. The few stims I have are saved for emergency cripple healing. Buying them is out of the question, as they cost over 1000 caps. Needless to say the doc has seen a lot of me, which is a drain on the caps also.

Ammo is likewise a concern. You really want to wait until you see the whites of their eyes. You can't use an automatic in VATS as it is just too much of a drain. Grenades and mines must be used, where in vanilla I often just ignored them.

Raiders are nasty. They are still easy to dispatch but they dish out far more damage, so you really need to get the jump on them.

Mole rats are really tough. They are always in groups, they are small targets outside of VATS, and they rush you.

Supermutants are now true heavies. You last about two seconds against a minigun. I managed to take one out by ducking behind trees and lobbing grenades.

The hunger/thirst/sleep aspect is interesting. It's fun to actually value food that you would ignore in vanilla.

VATS rebalance is something I also checked. With 50% of the benefit of vanilla, you can take some nasty blows in VATS. It is not always better to use it now, and it's certainly not a god mode like it used to be.

I think my recommendation would be to leave pacing the same as in vanilla, or maybe just change it to mild, as the other changes in the game are enough to make it quite challenging. Unless you want to be forced to specialize. Personally I never saw the thrill of having to specialize in certain skills, and always got more out of games when I could be competent in most areas.

If anyone cares exactly what mods I am using, sya so and I'll post them.

Haven't played FO3 in a while

It's been a few months since I last played FO3 and it was only Vanilla FO3. With the new DLC looking pretty cool I kind of want to reinstall and play through again.

What would be some good mods to really make it more fun. Some texture mods would also be cool as well.

Thank you, guys. :D

Some of i do use / used:
1. FOOK 1.6 - but wait for 2.0 - for guns guns guns

2. Mart's Mutant Mod 3.1 - for more creatures, more spawns, more fun

3.XFO Fallout 3 Overhaul - for better stat balance - alternatively : Fallout3 Wastelands Edition (FWE)

4. Amplified Cripple Effects 2.0 - for more dangerous cripple effects

5. Real Injuries 3.02 - makes healing and radiation more of a problem

6. UPP Perks pack

or : F3C

BTW. Try Fallout 3 Nexus and check out the Best 50 list and top 10 files of the month. U should find mods wich suit u in no time.

Back