Recommended mod thread

Hauptmann said:
BTW. Try Fallout 3 Nexus and check out the Best 50 list and top 10 files of the month. U should find mods wich suit u in no time.

I don't recommend you do this unless you really want a ton of 10 year old anime girl followers.

What you should do is go to fallout3nexus, search for "fix", download anything that fixes game issues.

Then, go to Browse categories / Gameplay Effects and Changes
Go through all of them and see which ones seem like good ideas.

I use XFO and check the ones I want. I don't really care about a million new guns or monsters. I didn't want a radically different experience, just more of a "fixed" one.

http://home.comcast.net/~xodarap777/XFO/XFO_Readme_Current.html

From the XFO list, I would recommend checking:

Playstyles - Various tweaks, all sensible, to increase realism and challenge.

Pacing Medium - You gain EXP half as fast as vanilla.

SP Fix 2 - Less INT effect and also Tagged skills go up x2, but no immediate bonus.

Weapskill accuracy not damage - If you want more of a challenge. Means damage does not scale with levels, so a low level raider can do a lot of damage. He will not be very accurate though. You really notice this one, and will die much more frequently.

Med rarity medium - I'm playing on rarity high, there are very few stims to be found. I like it that way but it's very hard.

Ammo rarity mild - Much rarer than in vanilla. I wouldn't go any rarer than this.

Necessities - Need to sleep, eat, and drink. Gives all that food and water meaning, as well as finding a bed. Interesting.

My list.

I hadn't played since before Broken Steel came out and decided to give it another go, with, AO, Pitt, BS and Point Lookout.

Gameplay:
CALIBR
FOOK
XFO
MMM
WMK
Robco Certified
No car explosions (the dumbest thing in vanilla.)
Quantum for all (Hate looking for the things.)

Graphic:
Fellout
Enhanced night sky
hi-res moon
Darnified UI
Taking out the Trash. (after 200 years no decomp?)

I recommend only two for gameplay: Welcome to the Wasteland (WttW) and the included (optional) gun mod.

- Food are more healtier and more radiated
- Stimpaks are very valueble, even with your barter are maxed out they are still expensive (100 caps)
- Don't even think about swimming in a river, it's 40+ to 90+ rads/s, you will die in a matter of seconds (wich makes sense, look at Chernobyl, even in nowdays. The radiation decreased a lot, but the area is still contaminated, even after all the clean up).
- Crippled limbs don't heal unless you use a stimpak or a doctor
- No more "magic clothes" that boost your stats
- XP are gained with exploration, not killing
- no more 300 books in the game, there are a very few ones, so use your points with wisdon.
- Levelling is hard and takes much more time (only playing the game + all the DLCs + all the main/side/hidden/whatever quests make possible I reach level 26! You'll have to be specialized, no more good in anything)

And the cherry on the top:
- one shot of a Combat Shotgun point blank dispatches anyone, (including you!!!), so no more beating a Super Mutant Master carrying a Minigun with only a nailboard.

The wastes don't care about you. :P :D

[ ]'s

FOOK 2. 1.0 is very good for those who like shooting up thing with various weapons :P
I recently switched to FWE 4.1 from FOOK, and i must say its one of the best re-balancers for F3.
There is much less gun-weapons and ammo for them, melee combat actually is useful, healing and crippling is done in a much better way. Generally speaking - all is very well balanced, and all skills count.
Lets be honest - not like in F1 or F2 but much more then in vanilla.
Also - primary needs make sure u actually need to drink, eat and sleep, and radiation (contaminated water) is really an issue . finally we can see why the hell dad build some stupid purifier :D
One thing i miss -> variety of weapons is much smaller then in FOOK2.
It makes me miss times when in one game i can find one set of weapons n the beginning, and in 2nd play through some other set.
And i miss my Ak 47 :P
All in all -> without FOOK2 or FWE 4.1 the vanilla is unplayable for me now.
Thumbs up for those mod.

Which mods do you recommend for the Game of The Year Edition? Are there any gameplay fixes included in the GOTY?

Thanks.

I haven't had the time nor the willpower to actually play through Fallout 3 yet, but this list here has the mods you will want to play with.

http://forums.bethsoft.com/index.php?/topic/1056342-mezs-gameplay-and-immersion-mod-list/

Basically, the two main gamplay mods you want are FWE- Fallout Wanderers Edition and Martigen's Mutant Mod (MMM). Weapon Mod Kits and Energy Visuals Enhanced (EVE) are also apparently quite good. Take a look over the list, especially the "Cornerstone Mods" section.

Thanks for the info, I decided to go with the FWE and MMM as main overhauls, and a couple of minor mods (that are compatible with FWE according to Mez).

So the way I did it:

installed FO3: GOTY EDITION
installed fomm
installed fose
installed fwe
installed MMM
installed 2 other mods
activated ArchiveInvalidate Invalidated (is that important, and when should I activate it?)

So I installed my mods, but I'm not sure about my load order. Should Fallout3.esm be loaded or not? Also not sure where to put 1PipboyPDA.esp.

Anchorage.esm
ThePitt.esm
BrokenSteel.esm
PointLookout.esm
Zeta.esm
CRAFT.esm
CALIBR.esm
FO3 Wanderers Edition - Main File.esm
Mart's Mutant Mod.esm
CRAFT - Activation Perk.esp
DarNifiedUIF3.esp
FO3 Wanderers Edition - Main File.esp
FO3 Wanderers Edition - DLC Anchorage.esp
FO3 Wanderers Edition - DLC The Pitt.esp
FO3 Wanderers Edition - DLC Broken Steel.esp
FO3 Wanderers Edition - DLC Point Lookout.esp
FO3 Wanderers Edition - DLC Mothership Zeta.esp
1PipboyPDA.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - DLC Anchorage.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - DLC The Pitt.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - DLC Broken Steel.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - DLC Point Lookout.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - DLC Zeta.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - Increased Spawns.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - Tougher Traders.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - Zones Respawn.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - No Ghoul Raise.esp

Total active plugins: 28
Total plugins: 41

Is that order OK? Did I miss anything important?

Sorry for your trouble..
:roll:

egamad said:
So I installed my mods, but I'm not sure about my load order. Should Fallout3.esm be loaded or not?
Yes, it should be the first one on the list.

You will need compatibility patches to use MMM with FWE. Go here and grab the one called "FOIP - Marts Mutant Mod RC5 package"

Also, you don't want to use any plugins from MMM, as according to the FWE devs they come already included in FWE.

Take a look at the sample load order template on the description tab from the link I sent you.

When in FOMM, you must click "Toggle invalidation" once and only once. You should also click "Load Order Report" to see what your load order should be. It will differ slightly from the sample template given by the FWE team, but it should be fine.

Oh, and I assume you got the 5.02 FWE patch as well as the MMM Trog mesh fix.

That list is really great. Trying to find lore-friendly/RPG/balanced mods is quite difficult otherwise.

I am using :

Fallout Wanderers Edition
Mart's Mutant Mod
WeaponModKits
Darnified UI
Raider Expanded
Mercanary Expanded
EvE
Xepha's Dynamic Weather
Fellout
Taking Out The Trash
No Stupid ExplosiveCars
DCinteriours
FO3 Unofficial Patch
Scavangable Vehicles

I wanted to use FWE, MMM and Project Beauty as well as DarnifiedUI.
Unfortunately game crashes the moment menu should pop up :? I've installed needed FOIP as well as created merged patch (all.esp), any hint why this could be happening guys ? Here is my load order from fomm:

Fallout3.esm
Anchorage.esm
ThePitt.esm
BrokenSteel.esm
PointLookout.esm
Zeta.esm
CRAFT.esm
CALIBR.esm
Project Beauty.esm
FO3 Wanderers Edition - Main File.esm
Mart's Mutant Mod.esm
FO3 Wanderers Edition - Alternate Travel.esp
DarNifiedUIF3.esp
Project Beauty- Broken Steel.esp
Project Beauty- Point Lookout.esp
FO3 Wanderers Edition - Main File.esp
FO3 Wanderers Edition - DLC Anchorage.esp
FO3 Wanderers Edition - DLC Broken Steel.esp
FO3 Wanderers Edition - DLC Mothership Zeta.esp
FO3 Wanderers Edition - DLC Point Lookout.esp
FO3 Wanderers Edition - DLC The Pitt.esp
FO3 Wanderers Edition - Optional Restore Tracers.esp
FO3 Wanderers Edition - Optional Restore Tracers (automatics only).esp
Mart's Mutant Mod.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - Project Beauty.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - DLC Anchorage.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - DLC The Pitt.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - DLC Broken Steel.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - DLC Point Lookout.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - DLC Zeta.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - FWE Master Release.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - FWE Master Release + DLCs.esp
Mart's Mutant Mod - FWE Master Release + Project Beauty.esp
DUIF3Extras.esp
all.esp

Total active plugins: 35
Total plugins: 39

I'm running win7 64 bit on laptop - c2d 1,7 , 4gb ram , gf210

Thx in advance

New Vegas, best mods

How is New Vegas now with the best mods?

I kinda got bored of NV on 360 so been waiting til the mods have completely overhauled it for significantly more challenge.

Merged with "recommended mods" sticky. Seriously, make some effort to at least glance at the stickies before posting a new thread.

I finally decided to post here and attempt to work this out. After two days of trying to get Fallout 3 GOTY to work with mods, I am a bit frustrated. Attempting to download mods to make the game even close to New Vegas is a challenge, and then when I seem to get the right ones downloaded, I can't get them to work.

My files got corrupted from messing with them so much, so now I need to reinstall. While I'm doing that maybe I can figure out the problem.

My main issues seems to be getting FWE,MMM, and darnified UI to work at the same time together, and they CTD everytime, even with the FOIP patch. I used FO3 edit to do the merged patch as well, but still no good. It is so hard to mod this game to the point of play-ability.

CTD every single time. I don't have New Vegas for PC yet,so I am stuck trying to get Fallout 3 to work.I really need to find the best mods with the least conflict. I checked out Mez's thread and it was helpful, but I'm getting fed up. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated? Do any of you still have load orders for Fallout 3, or has everyone went to New Vegas?

I have found that running in windowed mode lowers the chance of crashes. I wish there was a better way around this.

I recently reinstalled Fo3 (Goty) and had a similar problem (crashing before main menu) but got rid of it by extensive edits to both Fallout.ini (in My Games/Fallout3) and Fallout_default.ini (In Steamapps/Fallout 3 Goty). I seem to recall having to edit both files in the past as well but I'm not 100% sure which edit that have to go into Fallout_default.ini as well. My guess would be Darn's Font edits, bInvalidateOlderFiles=1, or perhaps iPreloadSizeLimit=26214400.

I also had some compatibilty patches with missing master which also didn't help, but FO3Edit would have told you about that.

I also recently purchased fo3 goty on steam and discovered a few videos on youtube showing off FWE and wanted to try and install. But this nexus mod manager is driving me nuts. I dont understand it at all, and i could not find any youtube videos explaining how to install fwe.

I wanted to use FWE 603, MMM, EVE and Project Beauty (this new renamed version) as well as DarnifiedUI. Any youtube guides around on what exactly i all need. and how to set it up, i have zero modding experience with fo3 and it seems a huge challenge with most tutorials being out of date or assuming i modded before :(

Id like the game to look like this guys games: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wAI7tro1GA&feature=relmfu

any help would be much appreciated.

also do you think the person in the video increase his cells for further view distance? or do they seem like default setting. What amount of cells is recommended for fwe?

a last question : is there any mods out there that randomize boggle heads and weapons into different locations so no game is the same and it offers incentive to explore every nook and cranny of the map again.

sofar i have thrown nexus mod manager out the window. I hope i uninstalled it correctly. Now i have fomm 0.13.21. I activated archive invalidation in fomm. Now im about to install fose 1.2beta2

Are there any mods to fix some of the plot holes in the game? I really want to play the Main Quest but I just can't take it seriously.

There's not a single one. Believe me, I've tried to find them.

But I thought NMA Liked New Vegas? So where's the gosh darned NV mod thread/list/tea party huh?!

If I had to recommend just one, and only one mod for NV it would be - darker nights. Darker nights improve the atmosphere of the game immeasurably, IMO, without affecting the game purity at all.

'Nevada Skies' would be my choice.

Back