Fallout 2 mod RPU - Talking Heads Addon

Just wait till you realize that goris actually says actual player character name in his dialogues, you'll decide to insta quit the voice acting on him :p sorry but i have no idea how are You gonna tackle that one :p
This seems like a really easy fix to just switch out the PC's name with some other title or pronoun. It's kind of obvious that Gustarballs1983 person here despite beeing present like 7 years on NMA still doesn't know the basics of NMA modding database archives, which either deems him, an Ignorant, or as 'Ol Harold says requires a" little time on the wetstone himself" a.k.a "..not the sharpest tool in the shed.."

So... that guts the feature then; Goris would no longer refer to the PC by name. :(

He's monstrous... So how about use an AI voice to record the list of names [potentially processed with plugin/distortion after], and have the voice actor imitate the AI voice—close enough—that the inserted name clips don't stand out so much from the human performance?

Last edited:
So... that guts the feature then; Goris would no longer refer to the PC by name. :(

He's monstrous... So how about use an AI voice to record the list of names [potentially processed with plugin/distortion after], and have the voice actor imitate the AI voice—close enough—that the inserted name clips don't stand out so much from the human performance?

It's not just goris, there are a handful of characters that use the player's name. It would just be too much work to record a thousand common player names.

Only othwr way would be to use machine learning and the VA's lines as a training set to create a text to speech model for each character. It just isn't practical.

The players name will still show up in the dialog box, it just won't be spoken.

Most modern games seem to use this system, have the subtitles say the player's name but have the actor say a general pronoun. In this case it could be "Chosen One".

Progress update: Finished integrating completed dialog for:

BARKUS (Vault City)
SHERIFF MARION (Redding)
STEVE (Broken Hills)

Also I fixed the bug with Slim picket not displaying as I had re-generated his script using an outdated copy of the SSL from before Goat Boy's head updates. These updates will be in the 0.2.0 release to come at the end of the week, along with additional completed dialog for:

KEN LEE (Shi)
DEX (EPA)
MIRA (NCR)
MOM (Den)
GREG (Vault City), pending audio fixes
WOOZ (Gecko), pending a few lines of dialog from VA
FESTUS (Gecko), pending a few lines of dialog from VA

This seems like a really easy fix to just switch out the PC's name with some other title or pronoun. It's kind of obvious that Gustarballs1983 person here despite beeing present like 7 years on NMA still doesn't know the basics of NMA modding database archives, which either deems him, an Ignorant, or as 'Ol Harold says requires a" little time on the wetstone himself" a.k.a "..not the sharpest tool in the shed.."

Yeah and seemes smebody beeing called the same by myself has a serious PITA about it ;p
and yeah it's over 13 years not 7 ;p

UPDATE 3.1

promo.png

(New TH for Mason, armour by
@TPOl7uHKA)

Updated portraits for:

Mason, Mayor Ascorti, Stuart Little, Leslie Anne Bishop and Angela Bishop.

New Talking Heads for:
Cornelius, Farrel, Balthas, Jonny and Laddie.

This is the first of the next few updates aiming on remaking older THs to be of higher quality than they were.
This update was focused on adding all remaining characters in Modoc, I believe every character in that location should be covered (aside maybe Karl in the Den if he counts).
Apologies for updating so soon after the last one.

Last edited:
I love the project, but I don't believe that I'd want re-imagined originals, as opposed to revised originals.

Adding new heads is wonderful, but re-imagining them is overwriting the developer's original art.

Last edited:
I love the project, but I don't believe that I'd want re-imagined originals, as opposed to revised originals.

Adding new heads is wonderful, but re-imagining them is overwriting the developer's original art.

I'm just replacing older portraits I made not vanilla ones. Should've phrased it better.

Last edited:
We are deffinetely not planning on replacing anything or adjusting the dialog. Completely agree on preserving the original artwork.

Anyone know if the .ssl scripting language performs order of operations like PEMDAS or is it from left to right?

In the middle of redoing my VA script generator as I found that several dialog sets were incomplete due to missed lines when analyzing the .ssl.

I wrote a program to extract all the voiced dialog that we need from each character and to generate the script for the VA's. However, there was a bug in this program that caused several lines of dialog to go missed in the script for an unknown number of characters. So for the past couple weeks up until today, we have been on a script-sending freeze while I address the bug.

The freeze is finally lifted and we are sending out voice actor lines again, now that we are no longer dealing with this issue, since I made my tool much more robust in analyzing the .ssl's. Just sent out scripts for Dalia, Stuart Little, Smitty, Ben Wade, Angela Bishop, and The Brain, all of which will be in the next major revision update of THAT mod (0.3.0), which will go out sometime next month, once we can get closer to 40-50 voiced characters.

In the mean time, the next release, THAT mod 0.2.1, will go out in the next week or two, and will include a bug fix for smiley as well as integrating in missing lines from the current character set.

Version 0.2.0 is currently available on the nexus and includes 26 voiced characters, but some are missing dialog lines or some lines (in smiley's case) aren't playing due to an issue that will be resolved in the next update.

Last edited:
I dig the new portraits! It will take some time for me to get used to Vic. I like the look of him, however in my mind I have always pictured him something like this:

o11_saul.jpg

Seeing him now with his round little face is very odd to me.

I have never thought about it before but games like Fallout are sometimes akin to reading. While you interact with characters you conjure your own depictions of them in your mind. Having more talking heads diminishes this aspect. It's that effect like when you have read the books and then see the movie depiction and hate it because it doesn't resemble your imaginings.

Another thought I had, which might not be true, is that the talking heads of Fallout 1 were better done than the original ones for Fallout 2. It's something about them that make them stand out more and be more memorable, even though there's some good ones in Fo2 as well.

Valerie asks you to bring her a wrench... But she's holding one in her hand! Elephant in the room.

Great portrait though!

Last edited:
Valerie asks you to bring her a wrench... But she's holding one in her hand! Elephant in the room.

Great portrait though!

I know :(
From that mistake I learned to read through all a NPCs dialogue before making their talking head.

I doubt I'll be remaking Valerie's portrait anytime soon as she has a LOT of frames, each one of them took a long time to render.

Change the script, make it a different tool; locking pliers, bearing puller, calipers, a ball joint separator.

tools.jpg

Aside: If you make [future] accessory items as linked objects, then you can swap them out by just changing the linked file to a different object. [wrench, hammer, pipe / staff, chain saw, ... or even nothing.] Re-render with a changed link, and no need to adjust the base scene file. (Works for clothing as well.)

Last edited:
Back