Fallout 2 mod RPU - Talking Heads Addon

Is it possible that she can be without a wrench when you first meet her and that the portrait switch to one with a wrench after you have given it?

Change the script, make it a different tool; locking pliers, bearing puller, calipers, a ball joint separator.

Thanks for the tips Gizmo. I like the idea of changing the dialogue script but I'd have to change other files like the wrench proto itself and the quest data. Don't want to change to many things, just for compatibility's sake.

And yes, I planned to just change the accessorie for the 3D model. Most animations would be untouched but still not keen on rendering all those frames again lol

Questions for @Goat_Boy :

1. Once you're done with FO2, any plans to extend your magic to FO1 and the Total Conversions, like Fallout 1.5 Resurrection and Fallout of Nevada?

2. I record someone said you had a Discord for your mods, but I didn't get it at the time. Where is it?

Questions for @Goat_Boy :

1. Once you're done with FO2, any plans to extend your magic to FO1 and the Total Conversions, like Fallout 1.5 Resurrection and Fallout of Nevada?

2. I record someone said you had a Discord for your mods, but I didn't get it at the time. Where is it?

Hi @Slaughter Manslaught ,

I'm so sorry, I just realized now that I never replied to your post!

To answer your questions:

1) Black_Electric and I would like to work on FO1 next, more specifically Et Tu. Will probably be a smaller scale mod compared to this one but I'll try to make the talking heads to the best quality I can - more in line to the vanilla heads as well.
On the side, though, I'd love to make a similar mod for Resurrection as it's my favourite total conversion mod.

2) Here is the Discord link: https://discord.gg/WgAfvVFdmb
You can also the link on the mods page on the Nexus.

How is your Hearts of Iron mod going on by the way? Would you need any more assets?

Hi @Slaughter Manslaught ,

I'm so sorry, I just realized now that I never replied to your post!

To answer your questions:

1) Black_Electric and I would like to work on FO1 next, more specifically Et Tu. Will probably be a smaller scale mod compared to this one but I'll try to make the talking heads to the best quality I can - more in line to the vanilla heads as well.
On the side, though, I'd love to make a similar mod for Resurrection as it's my favourite total conversion mod.

2) Here is the Discord link: https://discord.gg/WgAfvVFdmb
You can also the link on the mods page on the Nexus.

How is your Hearts of Iron mod going on by the way? Would you need any more assets?

Would you be tempted to recycle any of the fallout 2 models and use them for similar style characters in Fallout 1 at all?

Did I ever give the feed back that Jules in New Reno should have visible golden teeth as in the description?

Did I ever give the feed back that Jules in New Reno should have visible golden teeth as in the description?

Vanilla 1.02d claimed he had "a golden tooth" so only one.. the golden teeth is probably a fuckup addition like the kertyn=>cretin change in doc Vault City's courtyard doc. Andrew's dialogue about enhanced implants. Although this was later reverted to the original, though Jules golden tooth still is golden teeth, good catch my man, perhaps someone someday will fix this booger as well. personally I hate all those spelling overcorrectors, they seem to think they do us all a favour, while they fuck up most of the wordplay shenanigans, and now Jules will probably get a talking head with a golden mouth, instead of a single golden tooth like he should have.

I watched the tutorial video and put the dat files for talking heads and the talking heads update but when I start a new game there is no change.

I watched the tutorial video and put the dat files for talking heads and the talking heads update but when I start a new game there is no change.
Check if there's a mods_order.txt in the "mods" folder and its content. If it has no records of dat filenames, append them to the list.

Last edited:
Check if there's a mods_order.txt in the "mods" folder and its content. If it has no records of dat filenames, append them in the list.
I've done that as well, here is a screenshot of the folder and the txt file.
Screenshot (8).png
Screenshot (9).png

Try putting talking_heads.dat below RPU.dat, the latter is overwriting the mod. Basically the mods are loaded from top to bottom :ok:
Might be better to update the installation instruction with editing mods_order.txt.
Also, no need to use that old sfall_dev.zip because now there's a new sfall release (just make sure to tell people not to overwrite the existing ddraw.ini).

Might be better to update the installation instruction with editing mods_order.txt.
Also, no need to use that old sfall_dev.zip because now there's a new sfall release (just make sure to tell people not to overwrite the existing ddraw.ini).
At risk of going off topic rabbit hole, what do new versions of sfall do? I am more experienced on modding with the newer games but have no clue about the classics despite playing them since I was little.

Thank you, I haven't had much time to check on the mods but will make sure to state that!

Hello,
i am going to play fallout 2 again after 20 years i played it the first time.
Can someone help me with telling me the difference between "talking heads" and "F2 RP Armored Talking Heads Set [v1.03]". Does talking heads cover all of armored talking heads, do i need both?

Hello,
i am going to play fallout 2 again after 20 years i played it the first time.
Can someone help me with telling me the difference between "talking heads" and "F2 RP Armored Talking Heads Set [v1.03]". Does talking heads cover all of armored talking heads, do i need both?

The latter gives specific armored talking heads to companions that use armors. It best goes with the companion armor mod, which is included in RPU, which changes the sprite of companions when they wear different armors. In vanilla, you give a leather armor to Vic for example, and he looks the same. With the companion armor, his sprite changes so he looks like he's wearing leather armor. With Armored Talking heads, he'll have a talking head that wears leather armor as well.

Meanwhile Talking Heads mod gives talking heads to characters that originally don't have one, quite a few of them actually.

I simply cannot believe my eyes and ears going through this thread. What a mind blowing amazing achievement. People have been asking for this ever since the game was released. To see this all come together with such heart-warming, down-to-earth collaboration. Beautiful! One great big thank you to you all!

There was one observation that struck me that I wanted to point out as constructive feedback. I truly do not intend this harshly or as a put down to those who have put themselves forward to act these roles.

I wonder what swayed the decision to cast the voice actors for Obidiah and Cap A. Ron. Now I’m not trying to say they are bad, they certainly aren't, they just sound so British. The ascents seem out of place and immersion breaking. I’m English myself so I’m not trying to be discriminating, but there isn’t a single character in the game that gives any kind of vibe as having come from England. Not that it is impossible I reckon, but it seems glaringly unlikely, especially for these two characters.

After several generations of post-apocalyptic breakdown of the old world order I just don’t see many people coming from England to these parts of West Coast America and those who had ancestors from Britain before the apocalypse surely would have long lost any foreign accents over the generations.

All the other voice samples sound pretty spot on for their respective character. In fact, they are a good deal better than I would have expected given that most of the actors are just volunteers and unlikely to be professionals. Truly incredible work!

Back