Say something positive about the USA

Wow, I really enjoy reading mutants posts when they are coherent and researched.

But yea, as Crni, has pointed out as well, the U.S. isn't clean. We can only try to be less bad than our closest competitors.

This thread has taught me that Bill Gates is a good example of America's foreign aid. And that if you are American you should just leave the nation if you don't want people to hold you accountable for the government's decisions. Yes, the classic if you don't like it then why don't you leave your established life? Duh. Why didn't I ever think of that? Just, you know, sell all of my shit, buy a plane ticket and go to some other country where I'm not a citizen and start renting and working immediately in some job I'm overqualified for. Yeah, that'll show <Insert President name>, I'll never vote for them again!

No one likes being ribbed for their country's fuckups, especially not when they don't agree with it. Not the British, not the French, not the Russians, no one.

Maybe that's what you get for allying with Nazi Germany.

But yes you are right that according to the Paris peace treaty after WW 2 Finland was banned from having subs.

"Under the Paris Peace Treaty of 1947 between Finland and the Soviet Union, Article 17 states "- Finland shall refrain from making, fabricating or testing any atomic weapon, self-propelled or guided ammunition, or equipment related to its launch (except for torpedoes and torpedo launchers included in the warships permitted by this Treaty). weaponry), non-contact explosive sensing mechanisms, sea mines or torpedoes, manned torpedoes, submarines, or other submersible craft, motor torpedo boats, or special types of assault craft."

The Mir submarines, built in Finland in 1987, were designed in collaboration between Rauma-Repola and the Institute of Marine Science of the Russian Academy of Sciences. Built in the late 1980s, the Mir submarines represent state-of-the-art technology. The specialty of the ships was that they were able to withstand diving to a depth of over 6,000 meters. The US CIA suspected that Mir ships could be used against a superpower underwater information management system. The CIA and the Pentagon put pressure on Rauma-Repola to stop submarine production and the development of marine technology.

In the 1980s, Finland was one of the leaders in the submarine industry. Mobimar is one of the companies founded in the wreckage of the shipping industry, Late, which closed down in Turku in the late 1980s. Mobimar has built 16 submarines, or nearly half of the world's tourist submarines. The last one went to Korea in 2003. No new ships have been ordered because the old ones are working and very expensive.

Military articles of the Peace Treaty were abolished by a government announcement in September 1990, with the exception of the nuclear section. Nevertheless, no submarines have been purchased for the Finnish Navy."

https://www.globalsecurity.org/military/world/europe/fns-ss.htm

I'm really looking forward to finishing my PhD in four years or so, because then I'll do a road trip through the US. Maybe some really cheesy "Harley on Route 66" type of thing.
Remind me to get a motorcycle license first...

I'm really looking forward to finishing my PhD in four years or so, because then I'll do a road trip through the US. Maybe some really cheesy "Harley on Route 66" type of thing.
Remind me to get a motorcycle license first...
How does international license work? I know different states are to respect other states' laws on licensing in the US but I didn't even think about foreign licenses. Can you get a German motorcycle license and come ride motorcycles here without worrying about being ticketed?

How does international license work? I know different states are to respect other states' laws on licensing in the US but I didn't even think about foreign licenses. Can you get a German motorcycle license and come ride motorcycles here without worrying about being ticketed?
As far as I can tell, yes. At least for a short term visit it should be fine if I have a valid license for whatever I'm driving from my country of origin. But I guess since licenses in the US have to be renewed (I think?), this is only temporary.

But I guess since licenses in the US have to be renewed (I think?), this is only temporary.
Yeah they have to be renewed but not necessarily retested. It depends on what type of license and other conditions. If you miss renewal for normal vehicles here you have to retake a test or some shit but otherwise 90 year olds who bought a license back in their day (yeah, no tests, you just paid the government some money) who never missed renewal still don't fucking understand some traffic laws.

But yeah, I guess it makes sense as long as the visit in the States isn't over a year or some shit.

Yeah they have to be renewed but not necessarily retested. It depends on what type of license and other conditions. If you miss renewal for normal vehicles here you have to retake a test or some shit but otherwise 90 year olds who bought a license back in their day (yeah, no tests, you just paid the government some money) who never missed renewal still don't fucking understand some traffic laws.

But yeah, I guess it makes sense as long as the visit in the States isn't over a year or some shit.
It's apparently fine for 90 days, for longer visits it's recommended you get an international license, and it's recommended for a few states, while others don't readily accept the international one. Best way is to get the international one or a translation of your normal one and show it along with your original and your passport.

It's apparently fine for 90 days, for longer visits it's recommended you get an international license, and it's recommended for a few states, while others don't readily accept the international one. Best way is to get the international one or a translation of your normal one and show it along with your original and your passport.
Might be a good idea. The best thing to do is not get pulled over though. Never have to worry about doing anything wrong if you don't get caught.

Might be a good idea. The best thing to do is not get pulled over though. Never have to worry about doing anything wrong if you don't get caught.
Absolutely. Well, it's still about four years until I'd do anything like that, and I need to get a license in the first place.

Never have to worry about doing anything wrong if you don't get caught.
You can try ...

9c4e2d-GTA5%2021-11-2016%2022-58-34-737.jpg

You can try ...

9c4e2d-GTA5%2021-11-2016%2022-58-34-737.jpg
They gonna magically scan his wallet from that thing? My point is don't break the traffic laws, if you do, you best make sure not to be near a cop. Also, just hope you never run into a checkpoint either but I don't know how other states do those. My area is extremely rare unless it's a drinking holiday or a missing person was spotted in the area.

I know what you mean. I think. I have this habit where I 99% of the time stop at traffic lights with my bike even on roads that are not busy. Even though people particularly on bikes have this habit where they often just ignore it, oh? No car is coming! Then I can just pretend like there is no traffic light.

One day I stopped at a traffic light on a road I often cross even though there was no car coming, someone else a woman on her bike, of course crossed the street despite the red traffic light... just to see a police car standing right next on the other side of the street. I didn't notice the police car either to say that. There never was one before. The woman tried hastily to steer away in to another street but the speaker of the police car was shouting after her and she stopped. I guess trying to escape at that point would have been much more risky and costly.

I still remember it because if filled me with joy.

They gonna magically scan his wallet from that thing?
I am pretty confident ... where the police is going, they will not need to scan your wallet. - Back to the future refence!

The best thing about the USA is people talk about you all the time even when you don't want them to.

Back