The NMA Podcast General Thread

Hassknecht

For hate's sake.
Staff member
Admin
Board Cop oTO
Orderite
Hey folks,
so the previous installments of the NMA Podcast have been met with a generally positive reception, and it has been talked about making it a more regular thing with shorter runtimes.
So this is supposed to be the general planning and discussion thread for future installments. Suggestions for technical issues, future dates and topics belong in here. Further discussions after each podcast should probably take place in separate threads for the respective podcast as to not clog up this thread too much.
I think for the next time we'll try Teamspeak instead of Google Hangouts, is that correct?
What was suggested for when the next podcast should take place?

One option for the broadcasting software I think we should look into is Open Broadcaster:
https://sourceforge.net/projects/obsproject/
It's, well, an open source broadcasting software, might be worth to look into it.

Last edited:
Since Far Harbor is out in mid-May, early June would give us enough time to gather info or watch Let's Plays to comment on the DLC. We should by then, hopefully, hear something about the second DLC batch as well.

That'll also give us enough time to try out other options like that Broadcaster software. (EDIT: Yeah, TeamSpeak is what we're using next, as such...)If I can make Audacity record what comes in with that software, or others, that'll leave the door open to simply upload a splash screen for YouTube postings.

Last edited:
@AgentBJ09 when it comes to audacity and TeamSpeak... As I mentioned while I was with you in the hangout you'll likely need VAC (virtual audio cable) to route some of the output to specific channels. I've had very similar issues because FRAPS was unable to capture the two streams simultaneously and I needed input and output being recorded together.

TeamSpeak is not very good for recording 'natively' (i.e from system sound output) as the input of the user and the output of the client are on diff audio streams :)

It is possible, but you need a little savvy is all.

It may be that with specific broadcast software, it could capture different streams together...

Also, I'd like to further re-iterate I part-own and run a TeamSpeak host, I'm sure I could get us a room set up should it be required :)

As for potential dates, if decide to do these more frequently and with a shorter runtime, I say we should do them on the first and last Saturday of every month.

As for what software we use, I believe OBS (I think that's what it's called) might work. I'm not exactly an expert in livestreaming, but I've heard it's a good software.

Since we're going into podcast #4 next time, thought I'd throw this up as the source for a potential theme for us. (Listen from 0:00 to 0:12.)

EDIT: So, the Creation Kit is out. Ahead of when I thought it was going to be. And Bethesda's already pushing Bethesda.net as the way to upload mods between PCs and consoles.

Looks like we have a new topic to touch on.

Last edited:
Since we're going into podcast #4 next time, thought I'd throw this up as the source for a potential theme for us. (Listen from 0:00 to 0:12.)

EDIT: So, the Creation Kit is out. Ahead of when I thought it was going to be. And Bethesda's already pushing Bethesda.net as the way to upload mods between PCs and consoles.

Looks like we have a new topic to touch on.

Definitely.
I might have mentioned it in one of the previous podcasts, but I'm very interested in an NMA-community-designed Fallout PnP. Now two threads in the RP board popped up that show similar interest:
http://nma-fallout.com/threads/anybody-looking-to-get-a-fallout-pnp-game-going.205607/
http://nma-fallout.com/threads/the-nma-rpg-group.205585/
So I think this would be an interesting topic for the next podcast as well, as I think it could freshen up the community a bit and get people to work productively on the world of Fallout instead of bitching and moaning about Bethesda's failings.

Definitely.
I might have mentioned it in one of the previous podcasts, but I'm very interested in an NMA-community-designed Fallout PnP. Now two threads in the RP board popped up that show similar interest:
http://nma-fallout.com/threads/anybody-looking-to-get-a-fallout-pnp-game-going.205607/
http://nma-fallout.com/threads/the-nma-rpg-group.205585/
So I think this would be an interesting topic for the next podcast as well, as I think it could freshen up the community a bit and get people to work productively on the world of Fallout instead of bitching and moaning about Bethesda's failings.

I'm all for it.

BRP and Exodus aside, any systems you know that could handle something like SPECIAL? Or would a homebrew system work better?

I'm all for it.

BRP and Exodus aside, any systems you know that could handle something like SPECIAL? Or would a homebrew system work better?
GURPS would be as true to Fallout roots as it gets, I guess :D
One could also use Fallout PnP, but personally I think it's too math-heavy (yes, I'm a terrible physicist).
Maybe we could expand upon Fallout: Warfare and extend it to a full RPG with skill rolls. Although that might just be Fallout PnP in the end.
Personally, I like the idea of a homebrew. Maybe even call it "NMA" :D

so fallout PnP, i dont know why it should include driving skill. nod to original game? cause y'all knows how rare fuel is in fallout, and this is not mad max either

so fallout PnP, i dont know why it should include driving skill. nod to original game? cause y'all knows how rare fuel is in fallout, and this is not mad max either
Why not? Cars might be rare, but there's no reason electrical cars shouldn't work if microfusion cells are around.

/edit:
I started a thread with a poll regarding a No Mutants Allowed PnP:
http://www.nma-fallout.com/threads/a-community-effort.205614/

Last edited:

Mical wanted to include mechanics from F1,F2 and F:Tactics(Pilot skill,Pilot perks).He even expanded the vehicle section and wrote some rules on vehicle combat.
There are some nods to Wastland also.
But you are right - it should be considered super rare if you want to recreate a core game world(F1,F2).

One could also use Fallout PnP, but personally I think it's too math-heavy (yes, I'm a terrible physicist).
Fallout PnP 2.0 has many rolls. This system is close to 1:1 translation of the games to tabletop.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
exmpl: Minigun( only shots in 10 round bursts!)
A 10 bullet burst shot needs 10d10 (ten dice with ten sides) for attacking,

the to-hit number you need on each d10 is:

Your Big Guns skill (lets say its 132%,it gets rounded off to closest ten so its 130 and you remove the zero since each side on a d10 is 10%)
, to-hit=13

minus Range penal (if the target is within optimal range of the minigun then no penal, if its beyond that you get a minus 10% ( -1 on to-hit chance) for every 10 meters.)
let say the target is 20 meters out of optimal range so -2 on to-hit
,to-hit=11

minus Cover(if any, dont remember how this rule went but i remember not liking it, so lets say no cover in this example :) )
,to-hit=11

minus Target AC(armor class= Agility stat + armor bonus)( this guy is wearing Leather Jacket (AC:8) and has AG=8 so his AC is 16 so i guess it gets rounded of to 20? so a -2
,to-hit=9

minus extra factors ( usualy nothing but can go up to: A Tornado! = -200%) no extra factors (its a bright day with no tornados)
,to-hit=9

An extra rule for burst shots is that a roll of 10 is always a miss and a role of 1 is a critical if your crit chance=10 (luck + More Criticals) if CC=20 you crit on a roll of 1 or 2 but
you can only crit on one bullet per attack. :(

So any result of 1-9 on a d10 in our example is a hit, and a roll of 10 is a miss.

and then up to 10d4 for damage, and each bullet hit needs to be moded for cover+armor DT/DR.
So thats 1d4 minus DT X n (however many bullets hiit)
, than add all that toghether and X DR= how much dmg you actualy did.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some systems to consider:
- D20 Modern (never played, DnD with guns)
- Savage Worlds ( the base ruleset is generic as gurps, and i found some post-apoc. PDF on Savagepedia: http://savagepedia.wikispaces.com/f...v2.0.pdf/212207622/Savage Apocalypse v2.0.pdf )
- Fallout PnP 3.0 ( An newer version of Mical's rules, fan made i think: http://falloutpnp.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page )

I can do any date up to about the 5th June (except maybe this Thursday).
I've already gone through the main quest so I'm ready for it.

If we do it after the 1st of June, I'll need at least a week from that day; my wisdom teeth are coming out that day, and I won't have access to my PC for a while.

This Thursday/Friday however, I'm free, so set-up and testing would be viable.

If June 11th is when this is happening, I can't make it. (Requested that day off before I went for surgery but it was turned down and I've got an 8-hour shift to deal with that day.)

Since Bethesda has something big, possibly, coming up during E3 this year, what about the 18th instead? The mods are also out for XBOX One, which my roommate is already getting sucked into, and there's reports of theft of mods, which we could cover as well.

Back