Things you like from Fallout 3

Too bad they spend so much money on a big name only to give him lines of dialog like this...

0lJdSFjOusnBOfuroDJWUY_N0PW1jNhB9zVkdowEHWc.jpg

What, you haven't blown up a town of people because it was blocking the view from a tower that belongs to a saturday morning cartoon villain and got only a slap on the wrist? Amateur.

In Fo3 you get the bb gun in the vault; dad gives you bb's. The player can unload all 50 shots at the dad's face, to which he basically says, "Stop that"... The player can ask him for more bb's, and he gives them more to do it all over again; indefinitely.

The Pitt is literally the best part of the entire game aside from killing rednecks.

I enjoyed The Pitt more. It had a story that didn't completely suck ass and some nice architecture and surroundings.

The Pitt was definitely the highlight of Fallout 3. I do agree Point Lookout was another better aspect of the game. The game itself is really weird. It had SPECIAL and skills in a FPS, open world a la Bethesdian style but then it had two pretty solid DLCs and two others that are complete ass and then one no one cares about because it just lets you keep playing the main quest more.

Mothership Zeta is the worst thing Bethesda has ever done to Fallout and I'll die on this hill. Bad area to play in, enemies were annoying, stupid lore retcons with aliens mind controlling some sap into starting the Great War being the biggest "we don't give a fuck about the themes and tone of this."

I'd like to see Bethesda do more Pitt. Not necessarily Pitt but that was probably the most morally grey they ever got and they introduced new ideas with a distinct location that felt like it made enough sense. If the whole game was like that, I think less people would easily take issue with what Fallout 3 gets wrong.

Liam Neeson gives a truly terrible performance in this game; in fact just about everyone except like Malcolm McDowell sounds like shit the voice acting is terrible in the game even from VAs who normally sound ok.

McDowell is consummate in just about every performance... Also he completely forgot about the game afterwards. He was asked about it in an interview and didn't know what it was; didn't remember anything about it.

________

Years ago, I worked sound for these guys [singers] at a small event at a local college.
People fondly remembered this commercial from years before, and at the end of their set, a few asked them about it (asked them to sing some of it)—and they said that they didn't remember it. Most (all?) didn't speak English, and said that back then they would do back-to-back studio sessions for several clients, and did not know the song to sing it again. I'd expect that it was probably like that for McDowell.

There's a hilarious reddit thread from a few years back of some guy who met Liam and told him he loved him in Fallout 3 and he had no idea what the fuck that was and all the kids in the thread were heartbroken that the only dad they ever had didn't remember them. I'll see if I can find it.

There's a hilarious reddit thread from a few years back of some guy who met Liam and told him he loved him in Fallout 3 and he had no idea what the fuck that was and all the kids in the thread were heartbroken that the only dad they ever had didn't remember them. I'll see if I can find it.
A similar thing happened with Malcom McDowell.

They probably were just hired to do voice lines and weren't really in the know of what the project even was and just accepted the paycheck. Doesn't entirely shock me.

I just really like to imagine some guy walking up to Liam with a vault boy funkopop asking him to sign it and him just being confused and scared as to why its happening to him.

It had SPECIAL and skills in a FPS, open world a la Bethesdian style but then it had two pretty solid DLCs and two others that are complete ass and then one no one cares about because it just lets you keep playing the main quest more.
I will say to its benefit, Broken Steel is at least one of the only things in Fallout 3 where you can see the consequences of your actions, or where the relations between settlements/factions are considered in any real way.

It's neat to see water caravans suddenly going out all over the place. It's neat to see the Brotherhood suddenly overwhelmed by really having to run a state apparatus. It's neat to see the scams and schemes that arise from this sudden change in the economy of the region. I also like some aspects of the final confrontation with the Enclave more than the one in the base game.

Of course, this is undercut by the fact that there are literally three quests/events that deal with this sudden and immense change in the world. It is also all hard coded, none of it is effected by your actions. It also would have been neat to see some of the consequences of your choices in the base game actually implemented in the world since this is post-end game play. And the Enclave having this massive base is even more of a stupid ass pull than having the Enclave in DC in the first place. Really the main plot should have been something to do with water. Maybe use Talon Company, and Enclave Remnants that aren't an even more powerful of the base-game Enclave.

My biggest problem with Broken Steel is how pathetic it is. The game makes this grand narrative statement about being a story about sacrifice. It's really stupid, bad, contrived, but hey man if that's your art, go for it. But when this decision is unpopular, they just completely bow to public pressure and totally revise this story, making the entire main narrative useless. That is utterly pathetic, and honestly kind of despicable to me.

The Pitt was definitely the highlight of Fallout 3. I do agree Point Lookout was another better aspect of the game. The game itself is really weird. It had SPECIAL and skills in a FPS, open world a la Bethesdian style but then it had two pretty solid DLCs and two others
that are complete ass and then one no one cares about because it just lets you keep playing the main quest more.

Mothership Zeta is the worst thing Bethesda has ever done to Fallout and I'll die on this hill. Bad area to play in, enemies were annoying, stupid lore retcons with aliens mind controlling some sap into starting the Great War being the biggest "we don't give a fuck about the themes and tone of this."

I'd like to see Bethesda do more Pitt. Not necessarily Pitt but that was probably the most morally grey they ever got and they introduced new ideas with a distinct location that felt like it made enough sense. If the whole game was like that, I think less people would easily take issue with what Fallout 3 gets wrong.
There was two fellas who are mostly responsible for the Pitt, I can't remember their names and if I wasnt extremely lazy I'd look it up but I couldn't find it on the wiki in 30 second so... Eric something and maybe something with a Z last name, the pictures they had on the wiki they both had goofy beards. I just remember finding the "Meet the Developers" QA thing for FO3 thing on the wiki and you could tell those two guys were clearly the only ones who were putting any actual thought into the writing/world building at all. I'm also pretty sure by the time I looked it up both those fellas had already left Bethesda.

Back