Things you like from Fallout 3

I liked the feel of DC and the DLC well enough. I like urban environments, the subways. Even the battle at the Capitol and Mall.

I just don't like the actors much in it who are fighting, however.... At least Point Lookout went nearly wholly new with the factions, that was nice.

I actually hated Point Lookout. I hated the characters, the story, the fact that most enemies were bullet sponges and making me stretch my suspension of disbelief more then I care to. The only good thing about it was the environment. I liked the spooky swamp environment. Will give Bethesda credit with that. They are good when it comes to environments.

Last edited:
I actually hated Point Lookout. I hated the characters, the story, the fact that most enemies were bullet sponges and making me stretch my suspension of disbelief more then I care to. The only good thing about it was the environment. I like the spooky swamp environment. Will give Bethesda credit with that. They are good when it comes to environments.
That is the only thing I liked about it. I just enjoy seeing my own kind depicted so faithfully.

Wait so they included cosmetic-only items?

Isn't that entirely immersion breaking and should otherwise be avoided in an IMMERSIVE MMORPG?
So there are skins you put over armor. Some of these armors are just horrid bulky looking messes.

Just look at that shit. However you can put a skin over it like this.

I liked the chinese pistol. I remember shooting people in the head while yelling things in a racist Chinese accent

An annoying thing with the Chinese pistol though, is that it did absolutely zero damage.

Despite firing an overpowered 10mm Auto round that'd explode someone's head, it did barely more damage than a BB gun...For some reason.

Bethesda needs to seriously realize that 99% of the damage from a gun comes from its cartridge, and not its design.

An annoying thing with the Chinese pistol though, is that it did absolutely zero damage.

Despite firing an overpowered 10mm Auto round that'd explode someone's head, it did barely more damage than a BB gun...For some reason.

Bethesda needs to seriously realize that 99% of the damage from a gun comes from its cartridge, and not its design.
the .32 pistol was a peashooter

I must say, I did really like Arefu and the series of killings carried out by The Family.

Overall it's a well paced quest, and feels like a good self-contained adventure. The idea of a secret cannibal cult terrorising a small town is fairly small in scale, doesn't affect much, and overall fits the pulpy theme of Fallout quite well.

If this was in any other game, I will honestly say I would have liked it. The only flaw is that like everything in Fallout 3, it's held back by taking place in the nonsensical Capital Wasteland.
I actually hated Point Lookout. I hated the characters, the story, the fact that most enemies were bullet sponges and making me stretch my suspension of disbelief more then I care to. The only good thing about it was the environment. I liked the spooky swamp environment. Will give Bethesda credit with that. They are good when it comes to environments.
I sort of agree with you, and this might just be my nostalgia talking, but I've actually come around a lot on Point Lookout.

First time I played it I found it fairly barren and uninteresting, a small handful of Swampfolk and not much else. I also had minor gripes like the Point Lookout Tribals cultivating fruit in the middle of a church rather than in a garden, which felt typical of Fallout 3 using symbolic locations rather than pragmatic ones.

I've kinda come around a lot on it though. I actually quite like Desmond and Calvert's rivalry, it's corny to the point of ridiculousness with Calvert being pissed Desmond took away his body, but hey, it's a pulpy setting and it's kinda cool.

I also like this idea of "The Great Game" where all these pre-war aristocratic families treated their competition with each other as almost a game, and have figured out ways to prolong their lives to play this game even after the war. Maybe if Desmond wasn't a Ghoul, but rather just someone who underwent experimental medical treatment I would have liked it more, and I liked Calvert's goal to conquer Maryland by portraying himself as a living God.

I liked the Lovecraftian influence with the swampland being occupied mostly by cults worshipping eldritch gods, some explainable, some not.

Initially I was kinda apathetic to the Swampfolk. I liked how they had their own internal culture, and how they aren't just straightforward orcs like Supermutants: they trade with outsiders, and you can speak to multiple characters who were born in to that culture getting more insight in to them.

What I initially disliked is that they're kinda just dehumanised rednecks, devoid of actual human motivations which is dissapointing. I like humanoid antagonists to actually have goals and aspirations, and don't really like killing sentient people for no reason.

In hindsight however, I realise they're inspired by both Deliverance and Shadow over Innsmouth, and in both cases they fit what they were going for pretty well: the horror of being chased out in the middle of a rural area where nobody will ever find you.

In the case of Shadow over Innsmouth, I can't say the Swampfolk don't fit Lovecraftian Horror. To a certain extent all Lovecraftian Horror is based on some degree of Xenophobia in the literal sense of the world(Appropriate for the man himself).

Like Shadow Over Innsmouth partly works as a horror precisely because of HP Lovecraft's Xenophobia, because it's set in an incestuous New England fishing town, whereby the locals could be up to anything behind closed doors, and Lovecraft is clearly deeply suspicious of people like that, and later works in the same genre, such as, say Stephen King's mist, the horror is in these urbanites trapped among these rural people who, in the face of eldritch horrors, turn to barbaric cults based on human sacrifice to stop the end of the world. Both of these are in a sense, based on a horror from Othering groups of people, and the horror comes from this Xenophobia towards people the authors view as simple.

While I feel this could leave room for more critical discussion, I can't say the vibe of othered rural people with lovecraftian practices you don't understand being evil isn't appropriate for the genre, and it's a fairly good encapsulation of what Lovecraftian horror is.

Last edited:
While the hunting rifle firing identical ammo had a dozen times more damage!

Truly Bethesda has no clue how to make balanced guns, who'd ever use the .32 pistol!?
Bethesda's logic is "The smaller the gun the less powerful the gun is!" Even if that gun uses the same ammo. As someone from a family of gun nuts I find it to be insulting. It is a very bad design which is why I am glad New Vegas fixed it.

Last edited:
Bethesda's logic is "The smaller the gun the less powerful the gun is!" Even if that gun uses the same ammo. AS someone from a family of gun nuts I find it to be insulting. It is a very bad design which is why I am glad New Vegas fixed it.

:thinking:

Then for some reason in their games, .44 magnums do almost as much damage as .308.

Anyone who knows abouts guns knows that a .44 will kill you dead, but .308 is something else entirely.

Truly Bethesda has no clue how to make balanced guns, who'd ever use the .32 pistol!?
These weapons are there so the enemies can use them against a very low level character. If the enemies used more powerful weapons when the character just came out of the vault, the game would be "too hard" for some characters/players during those low levels.

You know Bethesda. They get scared that the game gets too hard at the start and that would turn off players from the game right away. Or something like that. :lmao:

These weapons are there so the enemies can use them against a very low level character. If the enemies used more powerful weapons when the character just came out of the vault, the game would be "too hard" for some characters/players during those low levels.

You know Bethesda. They get scared that the game gets too hard at the start and that would turn off players from the game right away. Or something like that. :lmao:
Reminds me of the people who got pissed that Red Rock Canyon being a death trap for low level characters despite the fact that NPC's in Goodsprings tell low level characters to avoid the area unless they are very well armed and armored.

But weirdly enough few ever actually use the chinese pistol/.32.

In fact right out of the vault its not uncommon to see hunting rifles, 10mm pistols and even the occasional AR.

Ironically this makes the weapons even less useful as you can rarely, if ever, repair them.

But weirdly enough few ever actually use the chinese pistol/.32.

In fact right out of the vault its not uncommon to see hunting rifles, 10mm pistols and even the occasional AR.

Ironically this makes the weapons even less useful as you can rarely, if ever, repair them.
I think that was designed so players were powerful enough to take out enemies like Super Mutants early in the game if you planned on going far along in the main story.

I think that was designed so players were powerful enough to take out enemies like Super Mutants early in the game if you planned on going far along in the main story.

Which still doesn't quite justify the weakass Chinese pistol and .32 pistol.

As I recall, commonly some of the first enemies I met were supermutants with hunting rifles and even the occasional minigun toting Brute (Minigun also nerfed to shit...For some reason?).

FO3 is made so the first enemies the player should find are weak wildlife (molerats, bloatflies, vicious dogs, radroaches and giant ants) or raiders (raiders are actually spread around vault 101, like the Superduper Mart, Springvale, and other small raider outposts).

The player can find super mutants quick if they go straight to the GNR building. Just crossing the river near Farragut West Metro Station will spawn a few Super Mutants on the opposite side of the river that will be fighting raiders on the other side of the river.
These "early" super mutant places are not the places the game encourages the player to go through at the start of the game though. And they are further away than the raiders.

Basically, the game encourages the player to follow some paths at the start (by way of the main quest, side quests and visible landmarks) that makes it so the player will only encounter Super Mutants around level 10 give or take a few levels.
Many Super Mutants are made so they have weaker weapons at lower levels, like nail boards and assault rifles, except the ones named "Super Mutant", those are the ones that can start with Hunting Rifles, which hurt a lot at lower levels but are slow to reload and are in the hands of the weaker and less armored super mutant variant.

Just crossing the river near Farragut West Metro Station will spawn a few Super Mutants on the opposite side of the river that will be fighting raiders on the other side of the river.

These fuckers!

I almost ALWAYS fought these guys super early somehow because something kept drawing me towards that area...Maybe just exploring? I tended to do lots of exploring between quests.

Not that it mattered, even the bullet sponge brutes barely dent you because nothing does 'serious' damage apart from the scripted DLC enemies.

Basically, the game encourages the player to follow some paths at the start (by way of the main quest, side quests and visible landmarks) that makes it so the player will only encounter Super Mutants around level 10 give or take a few levels.
Many Super Mutants are made so they have weaker weapons at lower levels, like nail boards and assault rifles, except the ones named "Super Mutant", those are the ones that can start with Hunting Rifles, which hurt a lot at lower levels but are slow to reload and are in the hands of the weaker and less armored super mutant variant.
So it's complete bullshit that the game actually encourages the player to go anywhere they want and actually tries to lead the player into specific paths at the beginning of the game? Good to know it has always been a load of crap that the game wants you into go anywhere at the start of the game.

Which basically makes any people that critcized New Vegas for leading into a specific path at start of the game complete hypocrites. Because they criticize one for doing one thing but somehow forget that the other game also does it. Which made worse by the fact they claim that the other game doesn't do it when it actually does it as well.

So it's complete bullshit that the game actually encourages the player to go anywhere they want and actually tries to lead the player into specific paths at the beginning of the game? Good to know it has always been a load of crap that the game wants you into go anywhere at the start of the game.
It encourages, or maybe it's more like hints the players to go into specifics directions, but it doesn't force the player to go there and still allows the player to go anywhere without much difficulties (level scaling and all). Well, the Mall is full of Super Mutants, so there's difficulty there, since even low level Super Mutants can be a bit tough for low level players.

It's quite different from NV, where one has to think and actually come up with strategies to avoid the Cazadores and Deathclaws. It's still not impossible to go straight to New Vegas, but most players will not be able to do it unless they have previous information of the game.

Things I liked:

-the entire Mall area. Museums, Capitol, Washington and Lincoln monuments are fun and interesting to explore (especially after spending 10 hours in the subway to get there)
-while gimmicky, settlements are memorable. Town around the nuke, on the aircraft carrier, village on top of ruined overpass or a slaver town in a ruined mall are way better than generic mud farm #2 in FO4
-the best uniques are really unique (let's avoid talking about a special nail board that does 2 damage more than a normal one). Prototype medic armour that talks, Lincoln's rifle, military prototype stun gun, Chinese general's electrosword, spec ops invisible suit are great rewards for exploring/ finishing quests/ finishing DLC.
-new skill books fit well with the ones from classic games
-Adam Adamowicz's concept art
-Enclave Radio. While Three Dog was pretty annoying, I really liked listening to Eden talk about baseball, his dog and rebuilding America.
-You gotta shoot them in the head- hands down best quest in the game. Deceptive quest giver that you can investigate without quest telling you to do it, multiple ways to get the keys and kill Crowley/ Tenpenny and the way these opportunities are also parts of other quests/ unmarked. Also the option to sell the keys to Crowley, murder him for Tenpenny and then loot Fort Constantine.
-random encounters. New Vegas would really benefit from having them.

Back