Things you like from Fallout 3

So did I, come to think of it.

I also liked the —idea— that the Mirelurk king was the Black Lagoon creature; a classic B-movie monster. But in practice it seemed oddly out of place somehow. I guess it's because it wasn't crab-like.
I liked Bethesda's design of Mirelurks so much that I developed this elaborate fanon that the Mirelurk King was controlling the other Mirelurks with complicated sonar - afterall, the Mirelurk and the Mirelurk Hunter were already two species living together in harmony (Mirelurks being mutant Blue Crabs and hunters being mutant Horseshoe Crabs. But yeah, if Bethesda's actual worldbuilding were worth anthing they probably could have come up with a good reason.

I have a problem with the new notion of a timeline divergence limiting their technology. I would say that their technology is not limited*, but that whatever they make is always done with a pop-50's future aesthetic. The preference for using tubes (for instance) could just be for radiation hardening; not that they don't have other options.

* But not par with Warhammer 40k of course.

I remember some of the debates years ago during the development of Black Isle's Fallout 3 here on the forum on the discussion on the level of technology there should be and some people were so hammering on the vacuum tubes and magnetic tapes vs transistors and microchips it became really annoying.
Because according to their logic there should also not be rockets, satellites, and space stations despite those being a staple of 50s space sci-fi.
Or they felt that these conflicted with the setting of Fallout which I also found rather bull.

The pre war universe was not stuck on some technological level, it simply developed in a different way but still had quite some of the same ideas and concepts for machines and vehicles.

I did not mind that when it was revealed that there was integrated circuitry in the Fallout universe but that it tended to be very fragile compared to the more "tested" technologies.

I've never hear Bethesda fans say they hate the Pitt?
I have. The Pitt is kinda the unloved step-child with FO3 fans. It's one of the lowest rated FO3 DLC's on Metacritic. They didn't like the grey morality that was present in the DLC. They were so used to the choices being black and white in the main game that when a DLC presented a story where the choices are morally grey and your character wasn't a bad ass hero in the end of it that it rubbed them the wrong way. Funnily enough that is also one of the reason some Beth fans hate New Vegas.

I have. The Pitt is kinda the unloved step-child with FO3 fans. They didn't like the the grey morality that was present in the DLC. They were so used to the choices being black and white in the main game that when a DLC presented a story where the choices are morally grey and your character wasn't a bad ass hero in the end of it that it rubbed them the wrong way. Funnily enough that is also one of the reason some Beth fans hate New Vegas.
I dunno, generally I hear Beth fans way overstating just how good the Pitt was to argue that actually Bethesda's writing is as good as Obsidian's

I have. The Pitt is kinda the unloved step-child with FO3 fans. It's one of the lowest rated FO3 DLC's on Metacritic.
Not according to sites like Metacritic and platforms like Steam. Operation Anchorage and Mothership Zeta are more disliked than The Pitt.

Then again, Dead Money has a mixed reception at best from the general populace and that's actually arguably the best NV DLC.

And really, the choices in The Pitt aren't really morally grey. Risewild had a detailed post explaining why it's actually mostly black and white with the illusion of grey morality. If he can link that post it would be great.

Not according to sites like Metacritic and platforms like Steam. Operation Anchorage and Mothership Zeta are more disliked than The Pitt.
That warms my heart that Mothershit Zeta is hated by everyone yet Bethesda is still trying their damnedest to shove that shit into the Fallout lore. Apparently they tried shoving it in to 76 according to @AgentBJ09. Bethesda needs to realize when something is universally hated to just drop it and pretend it never happened.

Bethesda made them all Olympic sprinters too.
Yeah you're not wrong about that. But my point wasn't that they were 100% faithful to ghouls but rather they seemed to have stuck with the idea that they cannot reproduce or made again outside the presence of a nuclear detonation. Oh wait, Moira exists. I mean it was a nuke that happened but that was a bit silly. I think they really wanted you to do her quests.

They are also effectively Fallout's version of anti-elves; they remember the previous age, they are effectively immortal, but are ugly, and not at all agile.
Dude, I fucking love this interpretation of ghouls. Thank you.

The Pitt in its totality has the content for the trailer of a cool Fallout game but the DLC itself is very shallow. It is, I think, the fastest I've ever beat a Fallout DLC.

The "moral choice" that gets lauded around falls into the same pit (pun not intended) that Bethesda's "moral choice" in Skyrim of the Empire vs Stormcloaks falls, where both options are presented as so shitty and massively flawed that it makes you not want to choose at all (Empire v. Stormcloaks has the benefit of falling back on the generally solid TES lore, whereas the Pitt is more self-contained and by extension connected to the shitty East Coast lore) . I found my character not wanting to touch the situation there and just escape, because it was so fucked.

At least it's presenting a moreso grey choice for once instead of a commonly agreed good option and a commonly agreed bad option. It's better than A. Give a guy some water B. Tell him no and that he stinks
Or A. Disarm a bomb that could potentially threaten a town or B. Blow it up cuz haha fuck you.

It is and I think given more depth it could be a compelling decision, but the Pitt DLC is basically a trailer like I said. As a locale it is very cool though. The dusk-like warm smog skies, overbearing buildings and industrial nightmare is a very very cool Fallout setting.

latest

Pair this with

and it fits like a glove.

I don't mind that the Pitt's moral grayness is comparatively lacking because unlike Fallout 4 (which also has a shitty moral grayness going on, largely since it seems to be what people think is good about New Vegas when it's really more complicated) the world of the Pitt actually makes some degree of sense, and is one of Beth's better pieces of worldbuilding in the Fallout universe.

It is and I think given more depth it could be a compelling decision, but the Pitt DLC is basically a trailer like I said. As a locale it is very cool though. The dusk-like warm smog skies, overbearing buildings and industrial nightmare is a very very cool Fallout setting.

latest

Pair this with

and it fits like a glove.

I'm definitely not saying it's something insanely well made. But it was moreso on the right track than anything else in the game really. New mutants (we got what mirelurks and bloatflies in 3? Were bloatflies new?), no super mutant army being orcs, a tougher decision than being Jesus or a prick.

It introduced me to the series is probably the biggest one but outside of cop out answers and actually stuff about the game; the setting is visually nice and it managed to keep a good handle on having some goofier, wackier segments with some pretty dark and grim stuff. There's a part where you can engage in child slavery and get rewarded for it! Looking back on it a lot of parts really feel like they're just going down a generic "apocalypse fiction checklist" but since a lot of people who played it were younger like me it didn't feel as derivative.
The main story and a lot of the major quests are hot garbage. It's kind of gross how they felt the need to shoehorn in and radically change characters and factions from someone else's work to make it their own. I can't imagine being a Fallout fan back then and seeing how they decided to give Harold his ultimate fate for example. That being said some of the smaller stories that are told with the environment are good. Going through old pre-war buildings and see the remains of people's last moments, last few terminal entries leading up to the last day etc. It can be pretty compelling stuff.

And really, the choices in The Pitt aren't really morally grey. Risewild had a detailed post explaining why it's actually mostly black and white with the illusion of grey morality. If he can link that post it would be great.
Sorry I missed this post somehow. I don't think I have one post that is detailed. I think I have several posts about it instead. It was during a discussion I was having with some members back then.

I will rummage through my posts and see if I can quote them here instead (so it makes some sense):
Ashur doesn't like using slaves, and also doesn't like the word "slave". He is only using them because it is the only way to build a future for The Pitt.
He uses slaves because no one else would want to work in The Pitt because of all the radiation sickness. His plan is to build a industrial community that will benefit mankind for the future.

He says that once the cure is found (using his daughter Marie to do it), he won't need to force people to work anymore and will free all the slaves. After that he will continue using the industrial complex in The Pitt to pave the road for the benefit of mankind. A community that will be fair for everyone, leader and workers (where everyone will be prosperous and work on their own free will). It will be a prosperous place that can make use of the pre-war machinery to help mankind's future.

Basically, Ashur's doing a bad thing now to lead to a good thing for everyone. Exactly like "the end justifies the means". He is not proud of it, he doesn't even like it, but he is doing it to make the wasteland a better place for everyone.

Now Wernher says he wants to save the slaves, but what he does and says shows that he actually just want to sit in Ashur's throne. He doesn't mind killing an innocent baby if that makes that ascension to power faster. After we depose Ashur and Wernher takes control, everyone is still a slave and working exactly the same as when they were under Ashur's rule. No one is free, no one leaves The Pitt, nothing changes.

Basically, Wernher's just a power hungry bastard that makes a revolt just so he can control The Pitt.

If you should feel bad for taking one side or another is all up to you though. :lmao:
Based on what?
Based on beating The Pitt supporting Wernher. When you go back to the Pitt, the slaves are still in the same place, doing the same thing. Still live in the same area (instead of moving to Uptown where Ashur's "guards" used to live), Midea's is experimenting on Marie to find the cure in her tiny ruined "house" instead of doing it in the much nicer lab in Haven (Ashur's Home).

Also Midea says some things that don't strike me as Wernher freeing people or letting them go:
At least Wernher's taking care of organizing the city, so I can work on the cure.
It's not easy keeping these people from tearing each other apart. I don't know how Ashur did it.
Wernher takes the "ruler" position right away, and things just get worst for the "workers".

EDIT: I just remembered that even Wernher's own words made me think he was a power hungry bastard that doesn't care for the slaves or the Pitt. So I went to check it out:
I got folks working on it, 24/7. It'd go faster if they didn't keep fussing about not hurting the little squirt. {Grudging towards the complainers}
You'd think an old slave like her would know how to work without raising a fuss, right?
Oh, it'll be fine. I can take care of extracting the full cure from it, and meanwhile the slaves can raise it as one of their own. {Obviously doesn't care about the baby}
Still call them slaves and plans on having Marie being raised as a slave too :V.
You, him, and this whole town can burn for all I care. I'm gone.
But you know what? Fuck this city, and fuck the raiders, fuck the slaves, and fuck you too, fucker. I'm gone
Yeah, but it's gonna take work to clean up after the riots. I can take care of the day-to-day stuff - you just reap the benefits, huh? {Wernher just likes being effectively in charge of The Pitt, and is basically buying off the player}
Whatever you want, boss. I'll be whipping folks back into shape, and Midea's keeping an eye on the brat, so you can come and go as you like.
Now that Ashur's gone, there's gonna be some changes around here, believe me. {Pleased with himself, a little ominous}
No, I don't think so. You may not have the guts to change The Pitt, but I sure do.
The LW set the trogs loose on uptown. I assumed it was not a viable place to live anymore.
If you're taking over the Pitt, you will not want a place full of trogs right around the corner. Not to mention that Haven has much better equipped facilities and probably research notes that could improve the speed of finding the cure.
Also one wouldn't even need to kill the trogs. All one needs to do is repeat the Lone Wanderer's steps that lead to the trogs invading and turn the flood lights on again (which scares the trogs away, back to their "territory"). The Lone Wanderer did it once (to turn the lights off), it can do it again (probably even easier, since most or all trogs in the path to the terminal are now dead).
Someone needs to be in charge. And given that she says 'I don't know how Ashur did it' indicates that people were trying to tear each other apart before, so that doesn't indicate a worsening state of affairs.
No, it indicates that Ashur managed to not have people tear each other apart. But Midea doesn't know how he did it. Also, Ashur punished harshly any of guards that mistreated slaves. While in Wernher's case, people are all in a salvage state, trying to kill each other, no law or order.
Which means that Wernher sucks at being in charge or it makes it worst for people living there.
What else would he call them? The former slaves, the people, whatever people from Pittsburg are called or something along those lines? I guess that's worrying, but he strikes me more as laziness on their devs part than as a hint of what's 'really happening'. When you free slaves in game they don't get a new title/generic name in any other situation so it seems fairly consistent with that.
Erm... Ashur calls them workers, and even lectures his own right hand man when he calls them slaves. Names matter and just by this little example, we can see that Ashur cares more for the workers than Wernher does.
The devs were lazy, but clearly made sure that the player knows that Ashur calls them workers and doesn't like when their own men call them slaves (with an entire unskippable and unmissable conversation that you have to watch before continuing the story), but then just make Wernher still call them slaves after they are "free"? I doubt that.
The next block o' quotes start off with two similarly ambiguous statements as, unless I'm mistaken, those are said after you tell him that you're betraying him to work for Ashur. Seems like the sort of thing someone would say in that situation.
No, those quotes is if you try to convince Wernher to leave without a fight.
I also don't agree that would be the sort of thing someone would say in that situation, unless they are childish assholes that got angry that their dreams of power got shattered. What a person that cares for The Pitt and/or the slaves would say would probably be something like "Fine, you win. But you will have to live with the suffering of The Pitt people's in your conscience." or "Hope you know you're condemning The Pitt's people to a lifetime of slavery and suffering. I am out of here." or anything like that.
Not to mention Wernher's also lies in some conversations. He says that if Ashur gets the cure, no one will be able to free the slaves anymore, Ashur and his guards will have all the power. But Ashur makes it quite clear that he will free the slaves once he gets the cure. It's no secret and Ashur's quite adamant to tell you and anyone that wants listen, his great plans for the future of The Pitt.
Corporal punishment on the other hand is clearly indicated. I recall surviving in the Pitt is difficult so it's not like anyone who remains is going to have any easy time of things, and people are trying to kill each other. That they'd have to work their asses off under horrible conditions to survive just seems logical. So there are less terrible conclusions than 'everything is the same or worse' which are plausible. This is not to say that you're interpretation is wrong, it's just that there's only so much that we can definitively draw from what we see.
Some of my quotes were more aimed at the "author notes" that came with the quote. The "author notes" are notes that the writer places on the script to help the voice actors to know how to speak/say/intone certain parts of the script. It is the perfect way of knowing what the writer's want to demonstrate in the dialogue and many times shines a light on the personality of the character.

Those notes show without a doubt that the writer wanted Wernher to be a power hungry, lying, bloodthirsty, deceiving bastard that doesn't care about anything besides being in control and that he even plans to betray the Lone Wanderer (just like he tried to do with Ashur and got demoted from right hand man to a slave himself).

Here, I will quote a few more and bold the "author notes" used to convey Wernher's personality:
I got folks working on it, 24/7. It'd go faster if they didn't keep fussing about not hurting the little squirt. {Grudging towards the complainers}
Oh, things are fine. Don't let any grumblers tell you differently! {Slick and untrustworthy}
But it's a small price to pay for seeing the end of Ashur and his bastards, right? {Happily bloodthirsty}
Oh, it'll be fine. I can take care of extracting the full cure from it, and meanwhile the slaves can raise it as one of their own. {Obviously doesn't care about the baby}
It's a resilient little spud! Don't you worry about it. {Grinning and totally untrustworthy, like a used car salesman saying "TRUST ME!"}
And after all this work, you're going to turn around and betray me? {Emphasis on "you're going to betray ME?", suggesting that he was going to betray the player}
Yeah, but it's gonna take work to clean up after the riots. I can take care of the day-to-day stuff - you just reap the benefits, huh? {Wernher just likes being effectively in charge of The Pitt, and is basically buying off the player}
And if you really care, Midea said she's looking for toys for the brat. I guess if you find anything, you could bring them to her. {Doesn't like the kid}
Now that Ashur's gone, there's gonna be some changes around here, believe me. {Pleased with himself, a little ominous}
Don't you worry about a thing. I've got everything under control! {Untrustworthy}
You just wait, we'll whip The Pitt back into shape! {Untrustworthy}

We don't know the total trog population. We know they eat humans, and not other trogs. Naturally that would mean that trogs will keep coming toward human habitats. Any that the LW killed are likely replaced now that they have free reign of the area. The numbers the LW encountered were those there when the slavers were keeping them at bay (more than we ever saw). We also don't know if more would just keep coming, increasing their density in the area. Presumably, places actively cleared have less than those next to them, which have less than those next to them.
Trogs don't reproduce, they are created by the radiation sickness. Most (if not all) of the trogs got decimated when the BoS made what is known as "the Scourge", that happened 22 years before the Lone Wanderer reaches the Pitt. Since it is stated ingame that it takes years for a person to become a trog and that most people die instead of becoming trogs (75%-80% of adult people infected by TDC die instead of turning into trogs and only adults become trogs). We can safely assume that the trog population is not that high. Specially since guards and steelyard "workers" are implied to kill some from time to time.
What I just wrote is assumptions substanciated by what information the game provide us. But we can also see those results ingame.

I just played The Pitt picking Werhner side to refresh my memory and to make sure I don't spread misinformation. We can go back to the area where the light terminal is, I only encountered 4 trogs this time, while the first time I encountered waves of them. Those 4 were probably some I didn't kill the first time, since i rushed to the terminal. We can go back to the terminal without any problems.
We can speculate that it's possible to clear them out, but for all we know the lights, grid, etc needed regular repairs to work. For all we know the fighting damaged things. If the principle is the same as with wild animals in the real world, then it's effect is entirely moot once they're in the area that you want to keep them out of. It's more of a barrier than an actual repellent. It spooks, not hurts.
But we do know the state of things in Uptown. The game doesn't block access to it at all after you beat the DLC.
I just did so and there was 5 or 6 trogs there. Nothing I couldn't deal with by myself. The lights and fences show no sign of damage at all, nothing in the infrastructure changes. Not only that, but Haven still has it's lights on, and no trogs were near it:
sMbyCHI.jpg

This enforces what I said, there is nothing preventing us from just go there and wipe the trogs out and lock the fence gate that the trogs first come from. Then we just stroll to the terminal and turn the lights on. If the lights or fences needed repair for whatever reason, we have an entire work force to fix those things for us. Nothing would be stopping it.
Less than you think. Read carefully please. It doesn't indicate that either is managing to stop all violence. They might be, they might not be. It only indicates that both had/have something to stop from happening. Their success level is not really indicated. The rest is speculation without support. Not much to say about that.
It says "I don't know how Ashur's managed to stop people from wanting to kill each other". If people don't want to kill each other, then they wouldn't be killing each other... I don't see how you can think that under Ashur was as bad as under Werhner when those words leave nothing to imagination...
Ashur = People don't want to kill each other = Order.
Werhner = People want to kill each other = Chaos.
Him calling them workers is propaganda. It's coded language. Labels don't define people. Werhner also says they're freed. It's contradictory, but the fact that freed slave is an oxymoron doesn't stop people from using it. And Werhner may just be acknowledging that they have been slaves. It's not like more than five minutes have passed since they were 'freed' before he says it, or that anyone's going to jump in and say 'well actually we're free people because we're not enslaved anymore.'
I'm sorry, I honestly can't help but laugh here. It's fine if you want to believe him, but his propaganda is not prophesy. Even if he recorded saying as much to his daughter in those holo-whatevers that would just mean that he wanted her to believe it too. That isn't to say he couldn't be sincere, but Fallout generally doesn't reward innocence.
And I can't help laugh too. It is not propaganda. Ashur does want to free the slave and help The Pitt become a free citizenship place. If you don't believe his own words when he explains in great detail his plans, and you don't believe what he says in his diary for his daughter. Then read the writer's notes at the end of this post.
But how would you not believe his words for his daughter but you believe a untrustworthy bastard like Werhner?

To refresh the memory about what he say to his daughter in those diaries you mentioned:

He says he saw the Pitt with it's working steel mill the perfect opportunity to rebuilt civilization in a "world of leftovers" is not proud of using slaves, how forced labor is only a temporary measure and how her (Marie) will be considered a hero by the time she is 10 years old, because she would have been the cause for the cure that will help the entire city? Why would he lie to his own daughter in his own diary that is locked in a safe and that is the only container in the entire room that is considered "owned", you can freely take anything else from that room, including the stuff from a dresser and a desk.

If you still can't see how Ashur is really honest about his plans, then the head-cannon is too strong and I can't sway you with any of this information then try the writer's notes at the end of this post.
I said it before, and I'll say it again. he's definitely a power hungry asshole. This doesn't indicate that the slaves aren't free, or that he never intended to free them. He definitely doesn't give two shits about that baby. Their living conditions certainly didn't change dramatically overnight, though that was never in the cards.
There is a poor guy that is rolling on the floor saying how he is very sick, and the game gives an option to try to heal him (if we have enough medicine skill, which I didn't in this character) or the option to leave him be or to end his misery. I came back a couple days after "liberating" The Pitt and he is still there suffering. All the "workers" still complain about how much they are forced to work, how they just want to rest, how they can't talk and have to work, etc.
Not only that, but even Milly, a slave that was friendly towards me (because I found out what had happened to Wild Bill) before I beat the DLC, now just tells me aggressively to "Go Away!" instead of being friendly again.

This is all in the game and showing it right in our face, the slaves are forced to work the same under Ashur or Werhner, slaves that were friendly to you are aggressive now, no slave thanks you or is happy in any way, no slave mentions being free or working on their own free will, etc. The slave that is sick in the middle of the ground is still rolling on the ground suffering... Nothing changes.
On another note "Suggesting that he was going to betray the player" doesn't mean that he was planning to. Writers sometimes want their audience to consider things that aren't actually true. Also something I never expected to explain, but I guess that's a writer's affliction.
Reaching at straws now? How about how the writer notes in this case "Now that Ashur's gone, there's gonna be some changes around here, believe me. {Pleased with himself, a little ominous}"?
There is nothing to be interpreted by the word ominous, it means "with evil intent". Or the so many notes of "Untrustworthy" or how he lies about Ashur's plans (which the game shows are true).

We already take a look on Werhner's notes that the writer provided. So why not take a look at Ashur's writer's notes too:
Ever since the city was scourged, we've done what everyone does: whatever's necessary to survive. {A little sad - he's not proud of the part he played in scourging the city all those years ago.}
I know my city seems barbaric to you, but it's the only way we can carve out a home in this hellhole, and it's kept these people alive. {Unapologetic for his city, and proud of his people's perseverance.}
It's taken me a lot of work to rebuild this city. With your help, it's finally going to have a chance. {A little melancholy about the scourge - still feels responsible for the tragedy that befell the city back then.}
I wish I could, but you have to see things in the bigger picture. Without those workers, this city would fall apart. {Not happy that he has to keep people in forced labor}
Right now, nothing. Until we can reproduce a treatment from Marie, they'll have to keep working. Otherwise, this city falls apart. {Not happy that he has to keep people in forced labor}
While the rest of the world scrambles to survive, we have an army, industry, and thanks to a recent surprise, we've got no need to fear radiation. {Proud of his city and its bright prospects}
If you still want me to believe that the writer wanted to make Werhner the one to free the slaves and Ashur a liar that just want to keep using slaves to work on his city... Well, I can't imagine how you would still think that.

EDIT: Oops, posted it before I added the quotes... Fixed now.

I'm surprised to see so much love for The Pitt honestly. I thought it was pretty bland except for the area where you collect the ingots and some of the cool weapons.

@Risewild

So pretty much black and white. The only thing i got from that when it comes to grey morality is Ashur using slaves to build a better future but not liking the fact he's using slaves.

Ashur is a good guy having to do something bad to accomplish something good and Wernher is just a power hungry asshole.

It's right there, so close to grab, a situation that is fully morally grey, but they just had to make one of the sides a complete asshole that just wants power. Even when they try to be morally grey, they fuck up somehow.

The Pitt is definitely a good start, just wish it's story was a little bit longer. It feels really short, like Honest Hearts. Maybe some more stuff involving you as a slave perhaps.

when looking back on the Pitt it makes me wonder if Bethesda has any idea where Pittsburgh is located, sinceyou ride a Minecart from DC to Pittsburgh ffs.

when looking back on the Pitt it makes me wonder if Bethesda has any idea where Pittsburgh is located, sinceyou ride a Minecart from DC to Pittsburgh ffs.
I once looked at how long it takes "today" to ride a train from Pittsburgh to Washington DC.
It was 6 hours and a half to 10 hours and 10 minutes. A handcart would take many times more than that, since they are so slow compared to real trains, not to mention the times one has to stop and rest from all the physical labor it requires.
Not necessarily. There's a direct train tunnel right to the region and the Capital Wasteland could be the closest settlement worth raiding.
Today with modern trains and impeccable tracks it takes at least six and a half hours (6:30 is the shortest and 10:10 the longest of all the train rides I could find) to go by train from Pittsburgh to Washington DC, it takes four hours by car and it would take approximately 76 to 80 hours by foot. The Pitt doesn't have any working train either (we only see train wagons and they are blocking the tracks so no imaginary train can pass by them), the only way to move is using the handcar we take to travel to the Pitt. Now lets say 8 people fit in the car at once (if they snuggle together), where will the loot from the raiding fit?
Also what is there to raid in the Capital Wasteland? There are only four caravans in there, each of them only carry really low value things that are mostly in bad condition (that is why the player has to invest caps in their caravans twice before they have any decent stock) and none of them mention getting raided at all, and since they only have one guard for protection I assume they never got raided much at all. Do they take days to reach the Capital Wasteland to raid a couple pre-war clothes falling apart, a leather armor with less than 50% condition, some chinese pistol almost reaching the jam point, a baseball bat, one stimpack and one mentats, a nuka cola and a iguana bits?
Settlements in the Capital Wasteland also do not get raided except Big Town, and only Super Mutants do that. Do Ashur's soldiers raid raiders?
The Capital Wasteland is so devoid of anything of value that is not inside a well protected settlement that I think keeping the soldiers fed just during the time it takes to come from and back to the Pitt is probably more expensive than any loot they might raid.
It's logistics. Ashur always need workforce because slaves die fast and the radiation in the Pitt is much worst than other places, so he makes that long trip to the Capital Wasteland to get more slaves because there is a large slaver organization there.

Maybe bethesda has decided to retcon geography as well. Although I suppose they do say to never attribute to malice what can be explained by stupidity...

Back