Things you like from Fallout 3

I think the ingame time advances by several days or so when you travel to the Pitt. It's only noticeable when you check the ingame date before and after you travel. So while it looks like you "teleport" to the Pitt, it's actually been several days.

It should be noted that Paradise Falls has raided repeatedly the region and the implications are that they've flat out destroyed several settlements (Daring Dashwood discusses one, another is right next to the place). The thing is that the Capital Wasteland did have settlements before the Raiders and Paradise Falls destroyed them all--probably to transport them to the pitt.

The Pitt answers a lot of questions about who the slaves are being sold to and who is financing the Raiders.

The Pitt is probably my favorite part of Fallout 3, the steelyards especially but I also like the little unmarked quest where you are essentially snitching on other slaves to the 'Kapo' type guy that informs to the Ashur's raiders.

Honorable Mentions:
  • Point Lookout
  • The concept of subway tunnels being the most effective means of moving around a city that has been laid waste by nuclear fire
Rivet City would have been cool if they had more lore set up for it and you kinda got to interact with the local politics there, but it's the only settlement in the game that comes close to being interesting. Megaton makes no sense and is essentially filled with cartoon characters.

Point Lookout would have been a lot better if it didn't have to be constantly dragged down by it's terrible main quest. The Location and side content were great though. I think Fallout 3 pretty much had all really solid and good DLCs except for Mothership Zeta which even if you don't mind how nonsensical it is was very buggy and unpolished.

I thought the main quest for Point Lookout was actually pretty good, despite there being absolutely no stakes because both those guys kinda sucked.

Point Lookout dropped the ball with the tribal idea but I am just a sucker for Fallout tribals in general so I'm biased in my criticism.

I do agree that they fucked up the presentation of the tribals, though I think the "holographic brain worship" part was cool. Additionally the swampfolk are neat but also just kinda there where they serve no purpose to the plot and have no real lore devoted to them.

I am completely illiterate when it comes to the Creation Kit but I wonder how difficult it would be to just use the world space and resources from the DLC to write a completely different story? I know that someone did that with Honest Hearts for New Vegas, though I don't recall them doing a particularly good job.

I do agree that they fucked up the presentation of the tribals, though I think the "holographic brain worship" part was cool. Additionally the swampfolk are neat but also just kinda there where they serve no purpose to the plot and have no real lore devoted to them.

I am completely illiterate when it comes to the Creation Kit but I wonder how difficult it would be to just use the world space and resources from the DLC to write a completely different story? I know that someone did that with Honest Hearts for New Vegas, though I don't recall them doing a particularly good job.
Honest Hearts Reborn was okay but it suffered a lot in my opinion from map glitches.

I feel like Fallout 3 had the right idea but went about it the wrong way. The re-introudction of Super Mutants, the Enclave, and the Brotherhood is kind of a cheap fan-grab, but the overall story was in my opinion pretty tight. You were born in a Vault (but not really) and your dad leaves to pursue a vanity project, and you have to pick up the pieces to find him again. The Wasteland is dead, there's no water, and you can either save everyone or doom everyone. It had a good feel to it, but it went about it all the wrong way.

The DLCs were alright. Upon playing again, Point Lookout wasn't as good as I remembered it to be but it was still tight. The Pitt is probably the best, and although it was short, it had the best story and moral choice to it. To side with anarchic freedom, and possibly doom everyone to death? Or to continue the rule of a tyrant raider-slaver to ensure order, and possibly a cure for a disease?

I am completely illiterate when it comes to the Creation Kit but I wonder how difficult it would be to just use the world space and resources from the DLC to write a completely different story?
It's not worth it. Point Lookout is the most unoptimized DLC you can find.
The assets are such a mess that you will tank your frames just by looking in certain directions or being in certain places. It also suffers from 3D model and texture errors.

It's taking us a long time to fix Point Lookout. And once we fix it, it will still not be that good in FO3, it will only be the best in TTW due to the FNV engine.

Point Lookout looked like someone just dropped everything on the map and called it good.

I like Operation Anchorage. It was kinda cool, and T-51b s my favorite Armour

Anchorage is rather boring in my opinion but it's premise was decent enough, what little they did for The Brotherhood Outcasts in that DLC was more than Emil could be bothered to include in the base game.

I haven't played too much of Fallout 3, but I remember liking two of the companions, the two cities, BoS and Enclave tech, and the idea of project purity.

The companions I liked are Fawkes and Butch, shame because I don't want super mutants on the east coast. Fawkes was just really cool, and Butch was interesting. He's your childhood bully but the first time anything bad happens he cries and asks you to save his mommy, then he mans up and ventures out into the wasteland alone, inspired by your bravery.

I also like Megaton and Rivet City. Moreso the concepts of the locations rather than the locations themselves. A city built out of an old crashed plane with a crater in the center and an active bomb. But why is the nuke there? Why haven't they gotten rid of it? If they saw it there why did they build around it? It would better if the nuke got there afterwards somehow. And Rivet City being built in an old aircraft carrier is a cool idea, although it takes a lot of maintenance to keep one afloat, especially after 200 years of rust and radiation. And the areas inside are really boring.

I wish the BoS and Enclave weren't on the east coast, but the new power armors, robots, weaponry, vehicles, and bases, are just really cool. I like how Bethesda used mind controlled deathclaws instead of intelligent ones, at least I think, I haven't played the DLCs. I really like Liberty Prime, although it doesn't feel BoS. The mobile crawler in broken steel looks very cool. And all of the new power armors look amazing. The flame caster looks pretty cool. And using the Pentagon as a base is a great idea, they didn't do it poorly either.

And Project Purity could've been so cool, but then the BoS Enclave war ruined it. It was mostly to just make the Enclave pose a threat, even though Autumn wanted the same thing as the PP crew. I feel like Project Purity being the main goal for the game as a whole would've been much nicer than having to fight for the BoS.

It's been five years since I played Fallout 3, and so my memories are failing me.
I'll try to be as concise as I can. Bear in mind my opinion is biased towards the classic games and New Vegas.
  • I don't like the aesthetics of Fallout 3. They are vastly different compared to the classic games.
  • I don't like the sound and music design. The music is completely offpoint, while the sounds are fairly unmemorable. One knows what Mario's sounds sound like. One also knows what Fallout's sounds sound like. Fallout 3's are nothing short of generic.
  • I don't like the gameplay of Fallout 3, period. New Vegas is more focused on the quests and the writing, and even then the moment to moment gameplay (run, shoot) got on my nerves. Fallout 3 is worse because the combat is the emphasis of the game.
  • I don't like the main quest in Fallout 3. I'm not against the idea of a linear main quest, or better said, a developed main quest. Morrowind has one, and I loved it. New Vegas didn't, and so I found it very boring and could never bother to get it over with (it's just a series of "hey go do this for me" with no real payback). But Fallout 3's is just boring, silly, and stupid at times.
  • I can't say I even like the opening of the game. On a first playthrough it's fine, but as an RPG you are kind of expected to replay it, and this is where the whole opening section loses whatever charm it may have had on the first run.
  • What I did like, however, is that there isn't that much "running around for quests" going on. New Vegas is guilty of using the New Vegas area as your main hub of operations, from where you will be coming and going endlessly throughout the middle and ends of the game. Fitting I suppose, considering it features in the game's titles, but this can quickly force the player to abuse fast travel because else they'll be travelling through the same areas they have travelled through to death (the classic map system with random encounters would have solved this).

I know it's a bit of a shallow reason but I do enjoy the fact Fallout 3 takes place in Washington D.C. and it's surrounding areas in a open-world format. Besides maybe The Division 2 which I never played, I can't think of many open-world games that take place in the region. Most of the time the D.C. area is only used in a level or two like in Call of Duty or Saints Row IV. Never long enough to actually get to explore around thoroughly.

Point Lookout and to be honest, I loved the voice acting. It’s cheesy at times like a 50s sitcom, and I actually love it.

One of the things I liked about Fallout 3 was that the game pushed you to explore the map more than New Vegas or 4 did. New Vegas centered on Vegas too much for how big the map was. I liked wandering the map and finding Paradise Falls, Oasis, the slavery abolitionists, the slavers at the Lincoln Memorial and the other Vaults.

Back