Wasteland 3 announced, crowdfunding campaign to start on 5th of October

Ok fellas I wanna play Wasteland 2 but do I get the Directors Cut or not? What makes it so shite?

The director's cut has the perks/quirks and some changes to combat that make the game more replayable and, well, more like Fallout. *shrug*

Obviously the game isn't as good as Fallout, especially since they had a limited budget for the game so there's some jank here and there. Plus combat isn't as in-depth as it was promised but the writing is really good imo and it's otherwise a good game. Not as great as I was hoping considering I like the first Wasteland more than Fallout 1/2 because I am old and played that game way before Fallout, but it was a good first attempt based on how limited their funding was. :P

Ok fellas I wanna play Wasteland 2 but do I get the Directors Cut or not? What makes it so shite?
There's a lot of fun to be had with Wasteland 2 just gauge your expectations accordingly. It's not a modern classic like Pillars or Age of Decadence, but it's a hell of a lot better than Bethesda's trash.

Wasteland 2 feels like the basis for a really good game.
I've not played much of the first as the age of the game throws me out a bit, I really hope t get into it however.

Looking at what's planned for WL3 however, it seems they are trying to improve over the second game.

I recommend WL2 as a replacement for the Fallout series. Obviously I find Fallout a much better game.
But wasteland as a whole fills that gap that Fallout 4 left

Ugh.. as a backer of Wasteland 2 I was not impressed, couldn't even get myself to finish the damn game. Won't be backing again.

I also feel that studios who make games that are successful enough to deserve a second go shouldn't need crowdfunding.

That being said I wish them all the best and hope that Wasteland 3 turns out better than 2 did.

Ugh.. as a backer of Wasteland 2 I was not impressed, couldn't even get myself to finish the damn game. Won't be backing again.

I also feel that studios who make games that are successful enough to deserve a second go shouldn't need crowdfunding.

That being said I wish them all the best and hope that Wasteland 3 turns out better than 2 did.
Meh, at least they aren't Sony with Shenmue 3 or Peter Molyneux, not needing it at all or lying. Either they actually need it that much or not, that's what Kickstarter is for.
Oh, and better than 2.000 dollar omelettes too.

Isn't Fig that shady crowd sourcing website that Tim Schaefer used to secretly extend the deadline for the funding of Psychonauts 2?

Glad somebody brought that up. The way Fig is designed, in how investors get any return on their investments, screams 'Schafer Scheme.'

The director's cut has the perks/quirks and some changes to combat that make the game more replayable and, well, more like Fallout. *shrug*

Obviously the game isn't as good as Fallout, especially since they had a limited budget for the game so there's some jank here and there. Plus combat isn't as in-depth as it was promised but the writing is really good imo and it's otherwise a good game. Not as great as I was hoping considering I like the first Wasteland more than Fallout 1/2 because I am old and played that game way before Fallout, but it was a good first attempt based on how limited their funding was. :P

I'll have another look into it, might play a different RPG though next like that Underrail that was recently(ish) released, I just can't bring myself to play Wasteland 1 unfortunately ;/ sorry, guess I'm too young or whatever paha ;)

I think Molyneux might be celebrating what with the No Man's Sky debacle, as Sean Murray might have taken the crown away from him in "Biggest Bullshitter in the Industry" award and given him some breathing space. At least for a while. Same goes for good old Todd.

BTW in regards to Wasteland 2, what part was Chris Avellone responsible for? I'm not sure whether it was just the AG Center, the entire Highpool/AG Center choice, or something else.

I think Molyneux might be celebrating what with the No Man's Sky debacle, as Sean Murray might have taken the crown away from him in "Biggest Bullshitter in the Industry" award and given him some breathing space. At least for a while. Same goes for good old Todd.

BTW in regards to Wasteland 2, what part was Chris Avellone responsible for? I'm not sure whether it was just the AG Center, the entire Highpool/AG Center choice, or something else.
AG Center alone, iirc

Remember his kinect game set in a garden where you played with a child? And that was the game. What drugs was he on when he thought that would make a good game?
The ones his lawyer told him to use for "that" to not happen agami O.o

Hey all,

I read about the announcement of Wasteland 3 on Wednesday. This news rather caught me by surprise as there were no indications that Inxile was working on this. (I knew they now owned the Autoduel IP, they were working on a project named Van Buren, and The Bard's Tale IV, next to other projects now in development)

Since then I have really been trying to make up my mind on this project (I just read the announcement on Kotaku again), I was one of the supporters of Wasteland 2's Kickstarter after all. But all I can come up is "Meh..."

I supported the Wasteland 2 Kickstarter back then because after Fallout New Vegas it did not seem that there would be another decent PA game set after a nuclear war, a setting I enjoyed for RPGs.
But I got kind of burned with Wasteland 2 as it was not the spiritual Fallout 1/2 sequel I had hoped it would be. I really should have played Wasteland 1 first.

And now with there being so many games in the PA genre (most of them zombie games) I really no longer care. What made Wasteland sound interesting to me is gone.
No more excitement about exploring a society after the bomb fell and civilization that tries to rebuild itself, meeting organizations with their own ideologies and goals and emerging governments while having a thrilling adventure.
In fact I don't even care that much for the Wasteland 2 setting as in many ways it was rather underwhelming. This is one of the reasons why I did not play that game again after stopping at Rodia.
I didn't like that there was very little character interaction, the combat became repetitive (as that is what you are doing most of the time), and I really hated the random loot drops.

As for what Wasteland 3 will do. Well when Fallout 3/Van Buren was announced to have vehicles and that you could even build a settlement of your own I was really interested in that as it was something new at the time.
But I rather disliked the whole town building in Fallout 4 as it stopped you from continuing the campaign, the useless NPCs constantly waiting for you to build a place and assign them a task, not to mentioned also those random quests.
Perhaps Wasteland 3 might do it better with its base building, but right now I just want to play a decent RPG and not have some building management shoved in we have to do in order to be able to continue.

Vehicles are going to mostly matter for transport (which is helpful on a map) but also play a role in combat, emphasizing that part of the game again.

I know narrative will be expanded but Inxile is going to have to prove themselves on that before I believe it.

As for playing with a friend, that could be interesting but I really don't care as it is probably meant that the RPG and campaign will have to be modified to work with that well, making me wonder how that will affect the single player experience.

If it was announced today that Fallout 3 as imagined by Black Ilse was back under development, even if it uses the graphics from 2003 I would jump a hole in the air from happiness as I still so very damn much want to play that game.
But Wasteland 3, well perhaps I will pick up when it is on discount sale.

I got kind of burned with Wasteland 2 as it was not the spiritual Fallout 1/2 sequel I had hoped it would be. I really should have played Wasteland 1 first.

I feel like a lot of folks made this mistake. I also think Fargo is partially to blame for setting that expectation as well. I enjoyed the game we got, but I also never expected a spiritual sequel to Fallout.

I feel like a lot of folks made this mistake. I also think Fargo is partially to blame for setting that expectation as well. I enjoyed the game we got, but I also never expected a spiritual sequel to Fallout.

That is true, but on the other hand, I wouldn't blame inXile. They did make a Wasteland game after all, even if their PR was misleading.
However, basically any preview that was shown served to testify that WL2 is a Wasteland sequel, and not Fallout successor made to spite Bethesda.

And people should play the original. The learning curve is a bit steep, given its age and overall UI, but the game is great fun and GoG/Steam version, which have been updated, offer a really streamlined experience.
Damn it, I remember when I had to search for paragraphs in a fucking notepad file...

But at the end of the day Wasteland 2 is closer to Fallout then Wasteland 1. Certainly not a bad thing, if you enjoy Fallout ... but if you expected actually something that was close to Wasteland 1.

But at the end of the day Wasteland 2 is closer to Fallout 2 .

fix that, and even that wasteland 2 just could not live the legacy of fallout. its sarcastic joke are so dry that i found fallout 2 being more tolerable. And gameplay; faction and consequences, wasteland 2 is nothing compared the amount of choice you found on fallout 2.

Back