Where would you set Fallout 5?

What I would really like is getting back to using states or multiple states, and not center games around one or two major settlements.
It is more limiting than more involving as a lot of areas in and around a city are just plain boring from a designer perspective.
We don't need to see all the living districts or stupid little towns and other places around a city that are just plain boring.

Look at Fallout 3 and 4, in general all these places were just filler. Look at Concord and Fairfax, only thing of notice was that these places were occupied by raiders and for the rest mostly sealed off buildings. (a lot of them wooden buildings, still standing two hundred years after the War)

I might divide up a major pre war city up in 'places of interest', and travel between these places goes through the overhead map rather than having to wander through broken streets or metro tunnels filled with pointless crap.

Oregon trail or Yukon trail would be great! It goes through several states and really works with the Fallout setting! Why not have a prospective gold mine in Alaska, and NCR funding various homesteaders to travel there and then set up a mine for the NCR mint. You could be independent or NCR funded, and there are various settlements, dangers and survival situations in the way.

Might write some ideas on it.

Somewhere in Canada. It was part of the USA in the fallout timeline, so it´s a valid candidate.
I agree with this the most. I'm not from Canada but what happened in that country is an important part of Fallout's history. The only problem with setting it there is it would be hard to incorporate any sort of NCR activity. I'd like to see a game that continues the story for NCR so I'd probably prefer it to be set it in LA area but either one would be great.

California, I wanna see the bone yard, and all the places from Fallout 1.
Yosemite, sort of like Zion park, and have it without any radiation/taint so its basically exploring pre war nature.
I might divide up a major pre war city up in 'places of interest', and travel between these places goes through the overhead map rather than having to wander through broken streets or metro tunnels filled with pointless crap.
I disagree, what is wrong with exploring. And its filled with interesting stuff, not pointless crap.
The dungeon crawling in Fallout 3 was fun, and its better than some stupid crappy fast travel across the map bullshit you can come up with
Alaska? I like this idea, nuclear winter + legit winter.
Brilliant idea, with mutant Eskimo communities and avalanches.
Oregon trail or Yukon trail would be great! It goes through several states and really works with the Fallout setting! Why not have a prospective gold mine in Alaska, and NCR funding various homesteaders to travel there and then set up a mine for the NCR mint. You could be independent or NCR funded, and there are various settlements, dangers and survival situations in the way.
Might write some ideas on it.
Thats an absolutely awesome idea bro, definitely get those ideas down I love it

I disagree, what is wrong with exploring. And its filled with interesting stuff, not pointless crap.
The dungeon crawling in Fallout 3 was fun, and its better than some stupid crappy fast travel across the map bullshit you can come up with

And I disagree on that, most of Washington DC and Boston for that matter is full of pointless filler, time and resources that could have been spend on making more interesting places.

This is one of the reasons why Fallout 3 and 4 are considered failed hiking simulators.

And I disagree on that, most of Washington DC and Boston for that matter is full of pointless filler, time and resources that could have been spend on making more interesting places.
This is one of the reasons why Fallout 3 and 4 are considered failed hiking simulators.
I guess we have differing opinions, which is fine.
There were so many cool and interesting places in Fallout 3, like Tenpenny Tower, Megaton, Rivet City and the Republic of Dave, to name a few.
The dungeon crawling was a fun way to get to the cool and interesting places

In an underground vault somewhere in Texas 40-50 after bombs. With majority of the surface looking like the Glowing Sea more or less. I want to live in a vault for some game-time, I had to roleplay that stuff in Fallout 1 but there was not much to do really.

In an underground vault somewhere in Texas 40-50 after bombs. With majority of the surface looking like the Glowing Sea more or less. I want to live in a vault for some game-time, I had to roleplay that stuff in Fallout 1 but there was not much to do really.
I think thats a really good idea, but it should be DLC not a full game.
The reason I say that iss you could advance up the command chain to become the overseer, or maybe a vault police officer, or perhaps you could be a doctor! the possiblilities are all there.
A proper Fallout game needs to be an adventure on the surface

I think thats a really good idea, but it should be DLC not a full game.
The reason I say that iss you could advance up the command chain to become the overseer, or maybe a vault police officer, or perhaps you could be a doctor! the possiblilities are all there.
A proper Fallout game needs to be an adventure on the surface

I can see your point, I would gladly accept even a DLC with such features. As for the surface - I'd enjoy the adventure as long as the wasteland does not long like a Disney theme park with a bit of rust on it.

It could be Fallouts version of Metro though, make the Texas vault giant and maze like with innumerous experiments being performed simultaneously on different parts of the population, maybe have ODYSSEUS be the main villain.
You see? There's some potential in that, you *can* build an atmospheric underground gameplay. I posted this post on r/FO4 some time ago and people just would not understand, saying you can do shit in a vault, it would be boring... But I really long for an early vault dweller experience.

Fallout Underworld? Please not again. Bethesda lost their talent on massive dungeons since Oblivion and Fallout 3's metros weren't any better in terms of gameplay.

That's assuming Bethesda develops the hypothetical game, there's always outsourcing, also when the entire focus is on a single dungeon I think they'd pay special attention to make sure that dungeon's good.

The massive underground Vault with various experiments taking on and overseen by ODYSSEUS sounds rather like a Paranoia clone.

I have two semi-in depth ideas.

1. Fallout: Chicago
In 2297 you play as the Tribal, the only person from your village who managed to escape from the Radiation, a militant ghoul faction that wishes to conquer the entire Midwest. The two primary factions, the Brotherhood, the Midwestern Brotherhood of Steel ruled by Barnaky and built into a massive, fascist cult of personality, and the Liberators, a descendant of the defeated Mutant Liberation Army, are locked in a war of attrition that they have both essentially lost. Neither is strong enough to really defeat the other, and both fear that the Radiation will destroy them both. In the independent region, the Reaver Movement has seen a revival, with the worship of technology being commonplace there. The Pitt Empire is beginning to move into the region from the East, as the Dixie Commonwealth moves in from the South. Chicago is independent, ruled by the Syndicate, a coalition of gangs who mysteriously became organized and were able to defeat the Brotherhood in the Battle of Chicago. The Enclave exists, being hidden among the ranks of the Brotherhood and the people orchestrating the Syndicate's existence and survival.

The map would have the Brotherhood dominate the area around Chicago, with Barnaky having been moved to a base just south of Chicago, and the regions to the west of it. The Liberators would be based out of St. Louis and rule the area to the northeast of it, fighting over that land with the Brotherhood. The Radiation would rule to the southeast of the map, east of the Liberators, and the independent region is to the northeast.

2. Fallout: Empires

In 2305, you play as the Wanderer, somebody who came from the Far North and stumbled upon the brewing war. The Great Khans have created a massive, new multicultural empire out of the Northwestern US, ruling over many different peoples and giving them a fair bit of autonomy. Caesar's Legion has descended into a massive civil war, splintering into dozens of factions, but at this point is now ruled by Lucius and Augustus Caesar, who claims to be the son of Caesar and is being controlled by Vulpes, who has maintained the Frumentarii despite the war. Lucius and the Praetorian Guard rule over Arizona, while Augustus is in control of most of the rest of the former Legion territories, with Colorado having become an independent kingdom. The Khan Empire is planning on invading and destroying the Legion, who they hold a hatred for from their attempt to manipulate and destroy them in the lead up to the Second Battle of Hoover Dam.

Off far to the west, the NCR is alive but under the emergency rule of James Hsu. Hsu has essentially become a dictator as the food crisis is worsening, being incredibly popular among the people but hated by the elite, who believe he is destroying democracy.

Back