10 best games.

I'm gonna do a top 15. In no specific order:

Fallout (the original) was simply amazing when i first got it, i've completed it a dozen times with every thinkable achetype available, the best RPG.

Deus Ex, also a fantastic game when it was released.

Shenmue, If you played it on the DC you know why it's on the list.

Super Mario 64, It was new, creative and tons of fun when it was released.

Diablo, i spent hundred of hour playing it.

Super Mario Kart 64, the best racing game.

GTA3, Rockstar improved the GTA franchise so much.

BG2, the king

Jet Set Radio Future, new, fresh, inovative at the time, while improving the bad design from the first game.

MGS, hilarious over the top sneaking/espionage game.

Max Payne 2.

KotOR, I understand some gamers find it to simple and avaliable, it is, but it was also enjoyable back in the days.

Vampire:Bloodlines, the writing and voice acting is brilliant, the best there is!

Final Fantasy 7, It's a JRPG, but a damn good one.

Counter-Strike, the best FPS ever made(!)

Last edited:
Well these all my Fav games.All of thse are for the PC,

1. Fallout 2
2. Fallout 1
3. Carmageddon 2
4. Carmageddon 1
5. Interstate '76
6. Grand Theft Auto 3
7. Max Payne
8. Mafia
9. Mobil 1 Rally Chamionship
10. Simcity 2000

10.)Leisure Suit Larry 1&5
9.)Quake
8.)Goldeneye007
7.)Crysis
6.)Daggerfall
5.)Morrowind
4.)Baldur's Gate
3.)Doom
2.)Fallout
1.)Planescape Torment

1. Fallout
1. Fallout 2
1. Fallout New Vegas
1. Morrowind
1. KotOR
1. KotOR 2
1. Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines
1. Bloodrayne 2 (
gratuitous dismemberment, baby)
1. Portal 2 (did the coop campaign alone using a keyboard and an old Saitek P880 pad. Strangely enough I was only forced to use my feet twice in the last chapter. It was easier than getting the other player to help me instead of jumping around shooting portals at metal walls)
1. Witcher 1

1. Half-Life Series including all DLC and Mods/Standalone Source Based Games.
2.Planescape: Torment
3.X-Com Series
4.Civilization Series along with Alpha Centauri
5.Fallout Series "Including all games except Brotherhood of Steel"
6.Diablo 2
7.Metal Gear Solid Series
8.Final Fantasy Series
9.Total War Shogun 2
11. Alot of other games, Lists are stupid.

666. Deus Ex Series

Honorable mentions:

The past 50 years.

Fucksauce.

In no particular order:

Heroes of Might & Magic III
Stronghold: Crusader
Baldur's Gate II
Fallout 2
Fallout: New Vegas
Chrono Trigger
Xenogears
Final Fantasy VI
Final Fantasy IX
Knights of the Chalice
Battle for Wesnoth

Last edited:
1. Age of Empires II: The Forgotten
2. Planescape: Torment
3. Fallout: New Vegas (Honest Hearts)
4. The Sims 3
5. Stronghold: Crusader (HD)
6. Broken Sword II: The Smoking Mirror
7. Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magick Obscura
8. Gray Matter
9. The Curse of Monkey Island
10. Machinarium

1 - Fallout New Vegas (I actually played NV before Fallout 3, and it struck me as odd that some people prefer the latter). I love them all, to be sure. All-time fav. I particularly love the meaningfulness of my actions and interactions throughout the game, the companions available, developed factions, and different endings. This is what makes an RPG really epic and memorable, rather than just a fun game. Random elements also make a difference. The level of details make the best games in history.
2 - Total War games, esp. Medieval Total War II. Rather disappointed by Napoleon's Total War. Took some steps back, quite a few, I'd say, and a few forward. It is one of the worst I've played of the franchise. A great mixed-genre franchise.
3 - Civilization V: Brave New World. I am old Civ player, been playing it since the first games, I have. BNW brought some nice features that made the game more dynamic, though it is still rather one-dimensioned. Still, one of my favorite games.
4 - Europa Universalis IV. This is it. The best strategy game in existence. It has what Civ lacks. I think that if you combined both series, the best game ever would arise. Europa Universalis has a complex management system for your empire, ranging from trade, production, taxes (and war taxes), inflation, to legitimacy, prestige, colonization, and technological advancements. The definitive grand strategy experience. Dif. from Civ, you actually have to take quite some time to get the hang of it. Not for anxious players that just want to shoot things.
5 - X-Com Enemy Unknown. Prob. the best tactical game around.
6 -Skyrim. As a young fella, I thought WoW was the culminating point of RPGs. Bethesda proved me so wrong. Skyrim has an incredible world, characters, writing, it involves problems related to nationality, ethnicity (if you ever get to think about it), and civil war. It is an awesome game. Despite all that, the RPG element could be improved. Fallout New Vegas is the most perfect game in that aspect. The choices you make, your interactions actually have an impact on how things will unfold. You can see this in Skyrim, but it is very limited.
7 - GTA games, of course, esp. San Andreas. San Andreas made history. The typical sarcasm, criticism, the storyline, the characters, the places, the comic stuff, the huge map, the voice actors, the stupid guy on the radio, all the tiny things in it, for me, set it out from the others that came before it. GTA IV was disappointing in that it failed to bring these elements, focusing on 'realism'. GTA V, apparently, is a comeback to SA in some ways.

This is my Holy Grail. Some other games I think are pretty neat, but that I wouldn't put on my Grail, not b/c I don't like them enough, but b/c I think that, while they are awesome and memorable, they have failed to achieve the same level as the ones above:
-Hotline Miami. Old school psychotic game. Crazy sh**, sort of psychedelic. It feels like a bad, violent trip.
-Duke Nukem 3D. Epic stuff. Duke Forever was sort of disappointing, but not a bad game.
-Ultima Online. Perhaps one of the purest RPGs ever. Unfortunately, as is the case with a lot of great things, it is not for everyone. It didn't develop much.

I'm not sure if I posted on that. So without further ado;

1. Planescape: Torment. Absolute king of RPGs.
2. Fallout. No need to explain.
3. Dragon Age: Origins. Bioware's best game, bar none.
4. Company of Heroes: Best RTS I ever played.
5. Fallout New Vegas. Amazing RPG, Obsidian's best so far.
6. Half-Life. Second game is really good, but the first is just a classic.
7. Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask. Aw yeah. Not too many people will agree, but I loved that game.
8. Warcraft III. Including the original DOTA, but the whole damn game was just incredible.
9. Team Fortress 2. Best competitive shooter I've played. Tons and tons of fun.
10. Super Smash Bros. The original. So much fun with friends, even to this day with my old N64.

Honorable mentions: Baldur's Gate 2, KOTOR 2, Medieval: Total War 2, Just Cause 2, FTL Faster than Light, Deus Ex, Deus Ex Human Revolution, Mass Effect series, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Bioshock.

-Duke Nukem 3D. Epic stuff. Duke Forever was sort of disappointing, but not a bad game.

You should try Blood, by Monolith. I found it way better than Duke Nukem at the time.

I don't think it is better, since some of the levels are a little "meh", but Blood is one of my favorite FPS games of that time. A damn shame it died the way it did.

Well it's been quite a few years so it's time for an update.

10. Shadowgate (2014)
9. Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater
8. Fallout
7. Super Mario Bros. 3
6. Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask
5. Red Dead Redemption
4. Binding of Isaac: Rebirth
3. Godhand
2. Ogre Battle 64: A Person of Lordly Calibur
1. Planscape: Torment

Planescape: Torment makes my number one these days for the simple reason I missed it at release and now I am kicking myself hard for doing so. There are so many games to mention in a list like this, this will change rapidly for me. I thought of the games I had spent the most time with, loved, enjoyed and felt something from. So many honorable mentions that would be a list of it's own. Diablo barely got squeaked out of my list for example.

I have posted in this thread numerous times over the years, the earliest post being 2005 I believe. I will be doing two lists this time. I have put some thought into this, but i am sure I am leaving something important out which will be covered in a revised list at some point in the future. :)

All games must fit into my new new criteria - I have to still enjoy playing them despite beating them several times, spending hundreds of hours with them, generally knowing the game inside and out - so games that I love, but never play, or don't know as well, I try to remove from the list(s).

I tallied up repeated mentions from my previous posts counting series as one entry with the first list to save room for other games. One limitation is I cannot name any game released recently, the only caveat I have on that is with the Shadowrun series; Shadowrun Returns and Dragonfall are relatively new, but the SNES version is my favorite in the series.

Without further ado, in no particular order.

List 1 (The Cheat)

1. Fallout series - Mainly 1, 2, Tactics, and New Vegas. This is a no brainer.

2. Mother series - Earthbound and Mother 3. I actually own Earthbound t-shirts, so I consider myself a crazy Earthbound fan. Glad to see Ness getting an Amiibo soon.

3. Legend of Zelda series - Pretty much every game, from Link to the Past, Windwaker HD, to the original two on the NES, minus some of the weird stuff. I can't have a list of top games without a Zelda title.

4. Half-Life series - What can I say? The first game blew me away with scripted sequences that I thought impossible at the time. The expansions were all great to various degrees, and then came Half-Life 2 and Orange Box. I fear that Half-Life 3 might bring about a new age of gaming. People will bow to it.

5. Shadowrun series - I am a die hard Shadowrun fan as well. The SNES was my introduction to the series, but I enjoyed the one on Genesis too, along with the recent Shadowrun Returns, and Shadowrun: Dragonfall. Sometimes this one drops off my list for some reason. i think it made it back on the list this time due to the recent games.

666. Doom series - This has been a mainstay for me through the years. I still play Doom today, more now than usual with the Brutal Doom mod, and megawad packs I have missed; Hell Revealed 1 and 2, Scythe 1 and 2, Complex Doom, Weasels SS Nazi mod, Trailblazer, Memento Mori, WolfenDoom - the list goes on and on. Playing Brutal Doom with Hell Revealed, the Doom Heavy metal soundtrack mod, on Ultra Violence = The ultimate Doom experience. There has never been a bad Doom game imo. The originals are masterpieces in level design. Doom 3 held some merit as well despite it's departure from the roots of the series.

7. Duke Nukem series - Of course Duke Nukem 3D would be my favorite, but I have enjoyed every game they have put out from the sidescrollers, to the console ports like Time to Kill(loved the soundtrack), and even Duke Nukem Forever.

8. Quake - No series love on this one. I always preferred the original Quake to anything else. I played Quake 2 and enjoyed it, but it doesn't belong on my list, nor does Quake 3, since I never had good enough internet to play it, and Quake 4 was shit. The original Lovecraftian influence was superior to the Strogg bullshit.

9. Resident Evil series - If I had to pick just one it would be Remake, but 1, 2, 3, Code Veronica, 4, and even to some extent 5 were all some of my favorites. 5 being at the bottom of the list, but still there due to co-op.

10. Metal Gear series - I haven't played the NES versions as much, but I have enjoyed every game in this series immensely. The story is where it is at for me. The stealth is great too, but honestly I suck at stealth a lot of the time. I think this may be the one series I really love delving into the lore on. All the complicated side-plots, easter eggs, and commentary on the state of the world today...really interests me.

I struggled with that last one. A part of me wanted to put Final Fantasy series on there, but I can hardly play those games anymore due to the grind. I think that is the nostalgia trying to kick in.

The second list will be under strict guidelines with only one entry per series. This list changes a bit since I am trying not to list multiple entries per genre as much, so I added in a racing, fighting, and puzzle game to even things out, otherwise my list would be mainly RPG's and shooters, and much like the list above.

List 2 (The Stickler)

1. Fallout 2
2. Earthbound
3. Resident Evil Remake
4. Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
5. Metal Gear Solid
6. Doom 2
7. Mortal Kombat
8. Shadowrun
9. Mario Kart (Wii U because fuck it)
10. Catherine (obligatory puzzle game that I love to death)

When it comes down to it, I simply cannot choose 10 games very easily. The problem is certain games hold a place in my heart - let's call it the Nostalgia Factor - removing them from the list can become extremely difficult since they are special in some way, otherwise I wouldn't care if they weren't mentioned, thus the dilemma of the Top 10 list. Top 50 is much easier to deal with. Top 10 is a bitch. Maybe that is why I am cheating with multiple lists. These last ones deserve a place up above but due to the nature of such things they sit below, hoping to move up the list one day, somehow, maybe in another post...

Honorable Mentions

Warcraft 1 and 2 - These two games floored me back in the day. Even the instruction manual for the original was badass. I still own the disk and manual for the first one.

Castlevania 4 - I still go back and play this from time to time.

Eternal Darkness - I never had the chance to beat this when it came out, but years later I finally got the chance. This is probably in my top three survival horror games. I wish we could get that sequel.

Silent Hill 1 and 2 - I recently replayed 2 and it held up. It deserves to be on the list, but I keep it down here to piss off Planhex.

Zombies Ate My Neighbors - Pure nostalgia and co-op fun. I am a huge horror fan so this one always appealed to me.

System Shock 1 - Unfortunately I never played 2 when it came out. I have tried getting into it with some mods, but it is hard to enjoy. The original holds a special place in my heart. See what I said about the Nostalgia Factor? This is science people. ;)

Worms Armageddon - The ultimate party game.

Elder Scrolls series - Primarily Morrowind and due to the highly moddable nature of the games. The series has suffered a decline of sorts, so this remains at the bottom of the list.

Super Mario Bros series - Who doesn't enjoy these games to some extent? I have enjoyed every mainline Mario game I have ever played. The first 8 or 9 Mario games are all classics, highly repayable, and polished unlike a majority of games released. Super Mario Bros was the first video game i ever saw being played and ever since then I have been captivated by them. Standouts in the series are all 4 originals, Mario 64, and Mario Galaxy imo, but I could just as well choose Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island, since I loved it so damn much too.

Super Mario RPG - One of my favorites. Too bad Square will never collaborate on another one.

Super Mario Kart series - Probably my favorite racing series. The newest one on Wii U is great, but the SNES version was the one I jammed on the most.

Planescape: Torment - It sits here because i never played it when it came out, and trying to play it nowdays is a bitch. It deserves a mention whether I can enjoy it now or not.

I could go on and on listing Legacy of Kain, Street Fighter, Marvel vs Capcom, Maximum Carnage, Super Ghouls and Ghosts, KotOR 2, Twisted Metal, Crusader Kings 2, Medieval 2: Total War, The Sims, Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, Wizards and Warriors, Castelvania: SotN, GTA (the original), Shining Force, 7th Guest...how about Outpost, Dark Reign, Tenchu, Blood, Dink Smallwood, Max Payne, Tomb Raider, or Dead Rising 2?

:)

Please forgive any grammar errors in this wall of text.

Last edited by a moderator:
ill make a new list since i dont remember if i ever posted 1, but these are my favorite games ever probably

1. fallout
2. fallout 2
3. deus ex 1
4. fallout new vegas
5. arcanum
6. baldur's gate + expansion
7. baldur's hate 2 + expansion
-
8. fallout tactics
9. s.t.a.l.k.e.r call of pripyat
10. fallout 3

then cos it's hard to just do to i'll list a few more that are more or less interchangeable after #7
11. s.t.a.l.k.e.r soc and cs(these 2 were buggier then call of pripyat)
12. f.e.a.r (first 1)
13. diablo 2
14. jagged alliance 2

Last edited:
1) Deus Ex
2) System Shock 2
3) Half-Life
4) Fallout
5) Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II
6) Rise of Nations
7) Battlezone
8) Call of Duty: World at War