A community effort

NMA - A post-apocalyptic roleplaying game?

• Interested in playing and helping

Votes: 57 63.3%
  • Interested in playing

Votes: 39 43.3%
  • Not interested

Votes: 6 6.7%

• Total voters
I say we go for an original system, one that is preferably simple without being shallow.

If we go the route of an original system, I vote that we not separate the PHB and Overseer's Guide unless we can fill it with a significant amount of new content.

Also, it should be noted, the SPECIAL system is likely under legal protection, so it will probably be best to have an original system.
I think if Bethesda cared about their SPECIAL system so much they would have already made others stop using it. I think as long as we do not sell the final product then they don't really care.

Here is an example of a several years old free Fallout PnP based rules, and it uses the SPECIAL system and never got problems from Bethesda :nod:.

Also, this is non-commercial, so I don't see any legal problems with using SPECIAL.

That actually brings up another thing; are we doing a Fallout PnP or will we make our own setting? I would again vote for original content, letting us explore new concepts without being constrained by previous lore.

That actually brings up another thing; are we doing a Fallout PnP or will we make our own setting? I would again vote for original content, letting us explore new concepts without being constrained by previous lore.
I think the point of this project is to do a lore friendly Fallout RPG system, it is for the fans of the classic games and to involve this community in doing something about what most complain... The lack of Fallout in the latest Fallout games, so we just make our own more close to the classics game instead.
That was what I gathered from this project :confused:.

Of course the first thing we'll be doing is making/adapting a rule set for post apocalyptic PnP games, once that's done we can make both Fallout related campaigns and original concepts.

A question that over the past 11 pages has been brought up several times, and has been answered accordingly. It's about making a Fallout PnP, Fallout the way NMA envisions it. So in a way it is our own setting, perhaps free from Bethesdian canon.

so, how is this system gonna deal with karma and reputation? pls guys, while i know that new vegas was pretty much ignoring karma but put lot of focus on reputation, i like if we could designed the one that fit nicely with each other.

rough example is karma basically for general reputation and moral allignment in good vs evil spectrum, while reputation is respect to the law that a faction hold, mean it lies in order vs chaos spectrum.

Last edited:
so, how is this system gonna deal with karma and reputation? pls guys, while i know that new vegas was pretty much ignoring karma while put lot of focus on reputation, i like if we could designed the one that fit nicely with each other.

rough example is karma basically for general reputation and moral allignment in good vs evil spectrum, while reputation is respect to the law that a faction hold, mean it lies in order vs chaos spectrum.

How about something like this:

Karma could influence what situations you're likely to get into or how people generally view you, while reputation is more specific and can override karma.

so, how is this system gonna deal with karma and reputation? pls guys, while i know that new vegas was pretty much ignoring karma but put lot of focus on reputation, i like if we could designed the one that fit nicely with each other.

I imagine we'd use something like the Lawful/Chaotic and Good/Evil system. As for reputation, this is something that DMs usually don't quantify and will usually just show through NPC interaction.

I think we should make up our own factions for places we've never been, we could explore places like colorado, kansas and go from there and make lore friendly places. We could make our own monsters for specific regions and animals that haven't been seen and mutated yet, this whole idea gives us a large spectrum to customise to what we want.

I think we should make up our own factions for places we've never been, we could explore places like colorado, kansas and go from there and make lore friendly places. We could make our own monsters for specific regions and animals that haven't been seen and mutated yet, this whole idea gives us a large spectrum to customise to what we want.
Definitely agreed. Hell, if we use the Fallout PnP system (will post summary later today) we can just make an expansion for it.

Yeah, that was my plan. Basically, make a basic rulebook (new or something existing/modification/supplement), then basic campaign settings with maps, monsters, and timelines that Overseers can use to write campaigns for. That would include existing places and timeframes, but can also mean everything else. So if someone really wanted to write out the setting for Canada or Texas or Bumfuck Nowhere, Indiana, that's absolutely fine. Should be community approved, though :D

Yeah, that was my plan. Basically, make a basic rulebook (new or something existing/modification/supplement), then basic campaign settings with maps, monsters, and timelines that Overseers can use to write campaigns for. That would include existing places and timeframes, but can also mean everything else. So if someone really wanted to write out the setting for Canada or Texas or Bumfuck Nowhere, Indiana, that's absolutely fine. Should be community approved, though :D
I'm going to do a bit of a separate thing and write an expansion for Fallout PnP system, but I'm really happy to playtest and help. You guys can review it when I'm done. If I ever finish.

I'm going to do a bit of a separate thing and write an expansion for Fallout PnP system, but I'm really happy to playtest and help. You guys can review it when I'm done. If I ever finish.
Or, y'know, if we decide to just use Fallout PnP or modify it, how about you work with us? Come to the Dark Side, we have glittering gems.

Or, y'know, if we decide to just use Fallout PnP or modify it, how about you work with us? Come to the Dark Side, we have glittering gems.
When you put it like that!

(I may not be able to put up a summary today so...tomorrow? I'm really busy to write a full length analysis).

I wonder what the game background for this game is going to be.
If I may make some suggestions, how about two for now?

The first one is set right after Fallout 1. The Master has just been defeated, the Vats have been destroyed, and leaderless Super Mutants are now searching for a new goal to live for while the settlements in the Core region are dealing with changes the Vault Dweller has brought.

During this time there could also be focus on the Mojave region which was still mostly tribal (the same goes for for Arizona).
Around this time New Jerusalem or Jericho/New Canaan has probably appeared by now and I think Vault City is also around.

The second setting would be after Fallout New Vegas, dealing with the aftermath of the actions and decisions the courier made during the game and who he or she supported.
The Core Region would be available, as would the Mojave, Nevada, Utah, and perhaps Arizona, New Mexico and Colorado.

I have a few ideas for this suggestion myself but as this is a team effort I think others should have their voice heard as well.
What I would like to do.

* The Brotherhood of Steel got wiped out on the West Coast. During the BOS-NCR war the NCR army came to close to Lost Hills to the liking of the paranoid BOS Elders and they chose to blow up the bunker rather than let it and its technological secrets fall in the hands of of the NCR.
There were BOS survivors, some managed to reach other chapters and bunkers while others went 'native' and gave up their old lives.
Hidden Valley is currently the new headquarters of the Brotherhood and an unease peace exists between it and the NCR. Time will tell it Mcnamara and the new council of Elders will make the peace lasting or that the remaining warhawks will get their wish and start a final war against the NCR.

* The NCR managed to secure Hoover Dam during the second battle of Hoover Dam but failed in annexing Vault City which is now completely independent after the reactor under the Lucky 38 was turned on. It is still being run by Mr House but it is unclear if this is the real Mr House or Yes Man posing as Mr House.
NCR has since then started to build its own settlement around Hoover Dam but it lacks the glamor and riches of New Vegas which the NCR still envies.

* Caesar's Legion has been driven Eastwards and the NCR has been sending armies into New Mexico to harass the Legion and gain allies.
It is not as welcomed by the natives as it expected to be as the disappearance of the Legion has given rise to new raider gangs or reappearance of old gangs that went underground.
I would leave it vague if Caesar or Legate Lanius were killed during the second battle of Hoover Dam.

* The Diablo Canyon Nuclear Power Plant, once the headquarters of the Union of Atomic Workers has been discovered. Recovered records once made and guarded by the Union details the design and working of nuclear power plants. (the BOS wasn't happy when this technology was rediscovered by outsiders)

* Prospectors from the Boneyard have started salvage operations in the ruins of Vandenberg, recovering advanced technology including rocket technology such as the star clipper space plane that could be made operational again. (another sore point to the BOS who wanted to keep this place out the hands of ignorant wastelanders)

* Naval Air Weapons Station China Lake has been discovered. Much to the relief of the BOS elders no one has been able to enter the ruins of the base and bring back some of the advanced weapons that were being developed and tested here though evidence indicates both regular wastelanders, Ghouls, and even some of the Unity's patrols have tried only to be cut down by the base's automated defense systems.
During the BOS-NCR war both sides tried to secure this facility and its resources for their war effort but neither of the succeeded, Brotherhood squads consisting of Paladins, Knights, and Scribes, and NCR platoons sent to the facility have disappeared without a trace.
There are rumors going on that the place might be a holdout of the Enclave.

* NCR has made contact with Fort Abandon again whose population has mostly survived the occupation by Caesar's Legion. They are however not interested in rejoining the NCR.

* The NCR has reached Denver and established a headquarters in the city's central train station. The troops stationed here now watch over the rail lines that run back all the way to the West Coast.
They were fixed with the help from the Iron Rivers tribe who has maintained the train engineering knowledge of some of their ancestors.
A train travels between Hoover Dam and Denver once a month, bringing supplies, fresh personnel, and travelers and adventurers that seek to make their fortune in the pre war city and its surroundings.
NCR has also established a prison in Denver, sending prisoners there as part of a work release program.

* The first signs of the projected famine foreseen by the Office of Science and Industry are showing, causing unrest in the Core Region.
Combined with the unrest that followed the Mojave campaign revolutionary movements have been forming within the NCR. The NCR fears a possible civil war or revolution if this anti establishment movement is allowed to continue.

* The Khans have fled into the planes of Wyoming and together with members of the Followers of the Apocalypse have formed the Khanate, a powerful empire that rules much of the land there.
Though currently not aggressive towards the NCR the Khanate has made it clear that the NCR's settlers are not welcome here.
The NCR government sees the Khanate as a possible threat to the Republic and want to mobilize the army against them.

(heh, this one should probably be ignored as I personally do not consider Fallout 4 canon in any way but I could not resist ;) )

* Travelers and frontier patrol mention sightings of strange artificial men called Synths at the frontier.
It has both the NCR and BOS leaderships worried. Has another army woken up in the Wasteland?

Well the way I see it, the game background will be whatever the Game Master decides to be :-D.
After the ruleset is decided and that ruleset is adapted to fit with the Fallout universe the Game Masters can then make their campaign setting anywhere and at any point in time they want. :D
We could even have a campaign happening when the USA is reclaiming Anchorage, or one when it is marching over to China, or while the bombs are falling, or even just set in a pre-war USA, where the players are joining in or trying to stop riots and stuff, or set at the same time as Fallout 1 is happening, a Game Master could even make a campaign where the players follow the Vault Dweller/Chosen One/Courier/Lone Wanderer/Sole Survivor and have to help him/her while he/she goes around doing stuff we saw in the games.
The beauty of P&P RPGs is that only the Game Master's (and in some ways the players) imagination is the limit :ok:.

Back