A community effort

NMA - A post-apocalyptic roleplaying game?

• Interested in playing and helping

Votes: 57 63.3%
  • Interested in playing

Votes: 39 43.3%
  • Not interested

Votes: 6 6.7%

• Total voters
It also says on that article that it could be an exaggeration. Plus, I imagine we're going post-New Vegas so we could be dealing with a very receded or even collapsed Legion.
It doesn't have to be post-NV, campaigns can even be written pre-Fallout 1. Like, some gang war in the Boneyard in the early 2100s.

Well, all these ideas are wonderful and any of them are applicable. What we need to do is discuss the rules and game mechanics. Otherwise this wild speculation will balloon and get us nowhere quick.

Will there be different rules for indoors, outdoors, combat, etc... Or will there be 1 large robust methodology to tackling all of it in one?

I believe if we keep the rules simple and intuitive it can make it very accessible, but we cant let it get "dumb".

These are the things we should be discussing.

Well, all these ideas are wonderful and any of them are applicable. What we need to do is discuss the rules and game mechanics. Otherwise this wild speculation will balloon and get us nowhere quick.

Will there be different rules for indoors, outdoors, combat, etc... Or will there be 1 large robust methodology to tackling all of it in one?

I believe if we keep the rules simple and intuitive it can make it very accessible, but we cant let it get "dumb".

These are the things we should be discussing.
It will be discussed in detail as soon as the subforum gets approved. Which is a problem, because it appears that SuAside is currently the only active admin, and it would be bad form to just open a new subforum without getting approval of Korin or Sanders first. I'll wait for them to respond, if it doesn't work out soon I'll start creating the first actual discussion threads in the Roleplaying subforum, as that would seem appropriate.
I'll wait until Monday, then I'll start things off in Roleplaying. Until then this thread can be an open discussion about content and whatever, but nothing will be decided here.

It will be discussed in detail as soon as the subforum gets approved. Which is a problem, because it appears that SuAside is currently the only active admin, and it would be bad form to just open a new subforum without getting approval of Korin or Sanders first. I'll wait for them to respond, if it doesn't work out soon I'll start creating the first actual discussion threads in the Roleplaying subforum, as that would seem appropriate.
I'll wait until Monday, then I'll start things off in Roleplaying. Until then this thread can be an open discussion about content and whatever, but nothing will be decided here.

Right on, Sorry if my post seem semi repetitive, I'm still at work and I bounce from here to "work" constantly.

I'll check back when things are up and running.

I personally think that it would be better if we didn't go post-new vegas. I feel like it would be better if we left the time period up to any individual gm. Feel like a definite date would be too restrictive.

We can still write ourselves a default setting though, since half the point of this is NMA designing a Fallout setting for themselves.

My own two cents, the NMA table top game should be a bunch of rules. The setting should largely be up to the game master. Perhaps include sample maps, locations, factions, etc., as well as stuff from the Fallout games (even, dare I say it, Fallout 3 and 4!) This way it's open ended so an incoming game master doesn't have to be a lore guru to play in the Fallout setting.

My own two cents, the NMA table top game should be a bunch of rules. The setting should largely be up to the game master. Perhaps include sample maps, locations, factions, etc., as well as stuff from the Fallout games (even, dare I say it, Fallout 3 and 4!) This way it's open ended so an incoming game master doesn't have to be a lore guru to play in the Fallout setting.
I was about to come here and say something like this.

PnP RPGs are this flexible, one only needs the ruleset, how characters are made and work (so players know how to make characters and the GM can make NPCs and stuff), combat system, items, weapons, skills, etc... Some basic stuff.

Then the GMs can place all of that in any setting they want to :wiggle: one of the advantages of having a human GM and not a computer software limiting everything :bow:.

Example: Dungeons and Dragons D20 system, there are a few settings that use it (Greyhawk, Faerun, Eberon, Kalamar, Ravenloft, etc), the "No Mutants Allowed" RPG has an advantage over all of those, the setting is (at least at first) all Fallout. So it doesn't need new worlds and universes, it just needs for GMs to make their campaigns in predefined "time frames".

With the Fallout timeline already in place (using the games and other material available) it makes it easier to know what is happening and why in each campaign, and a GM might even make a campaign where it is happening 500 years after the bombs fell, or just 5 years and the world is more of a wasteland than it is in the games.

The beauty of PnP is this awesome flexibility :wiggle:.

I do agree with the principle.

But then, if there's no guidance and boundaries and points other than the set of rules, there'd not be much point for this "community effort" because there's not much "effort" left.

Any schmuck who has dabbled with PnP can carve up a simplistic set of rules that'll satisfy his more or less brief campaign in the Fallout setting, and if not, there are quite a few existing rules that can easily be adapted to be used with the setting in a satisfactory manner; and the rest is in the imagination of the GM who likely already knows Fallout and can throw the players where ever in it and pull it off.

Just thinkin' out loud. :P

I do agree with the principle.

But then, if there's no guidance and boundaries and points other than the set of rules, there'd not be much point for this "community effort" because there's not much "effort" left.

Any schmuck who has dabbled with PnP can carve up a simplistic set of rules that'll satisfy his more or less brief campaign in the Fallout setting, and if not, there are quite a few existing rules that can easily be adapted to be used with the setting in a satisfactory manner; and the rest is in the imagination of the GM who likely already knows Fallout and can throw the players where ever in it and pull it off.

Just thinkin' out loud. :P
Yep, and that is why I am more interested to know what ruleset this NMA project will use, made from scratch, D20, GURPS, etc...

I am sure there are plenty of people knowledgeable about PnP rules around here, so I think it would be possible to make a ruleset based on the one used on the classic games (SPECIAL, Traits, Perks, Skills, AP, AC, DR, DT, etc), it will require some work because the classic games have a lot of maths going behind the scenes and that would need to be streamlined so a round of combat wouldn't require the use of calculators and take 10 minutes or more :lmao:.

But we all can agree that without the ruleset we can't start this, we can all talk about factions and settings and stuff but without the rules to back them up we can't make it stand by themselves (rules are like a skeleton or foundations for pretty much everything in a PnP game).
We can say for example: "Let's have Brotherhood of Steel!" but without the ruleset that is just a name, so we go deeper "They are a secluded faction, they do not allow people to join them unless they have any need for those who want to join. They will be divided in classes or groups, the Scribes do research, the Paladins are the veteran troops, the best of the best and the strongest, initiates are the recruits and are not allowed to use better equipment unless they earn the right to it. They will use advanced weaponry, like energy weapons and the top tier troops would use Power Armor. Etc" so we discussed a faction and gave it some characteristics and "personality" which is all good and this needs to be done :mrgreen:.

But then without the ruleset that faction still can't function in the game... What does it mean wearing Power Armor? what advantages do Power Armor have over not wearing any armor? what does it means to use Energy weapons? why are they different from guns of knives? What does it mean being "the best of the best and the strongest"? does that means they have better chances to hit enemies in combat or have more HP or can use higher tier equipment? We don't know because there is no ruleset, so we don't know if there are HP or equipment tiers, how combat works, how weapons work, or anything else about game mechanics...

What I am trying to say is that yes we need to start planning factions and the world but it is all moot until we have a ruleset to attach to those things and make them "alive" :mrgreen:.

And remember, GMs will have the power to change factions and settings if they so desire to better suit their "Campaigns" :ok:.

Oh, I know and understand completely. And even agree. The rules make the game, not the fiction.

Was only commenting on the "just the rules" part.

Last edited:
Did nobody read what I wrote about what this thing is supposed to result into?

a) A sourcebook with game rules, generic enemies, stats, basic canon information/timeline.
b) Campaigns and detailed setting descriptions for locations and different times. I.e., you want to do a campaign post-NV set in Boulder? There will be a detailed history of Boulder and its development. Pre-Fallout 1 Boneyard gangwar? Here's how the Boneyard developed and what the major factions there were at any given time. Campaign about resistance against the BoS tyrants in Chicago? Boom, here's your background, go write your campaign.

I'm pretty sure I did read it. Didn't you also say that this is an open and completely inconclusive thread to talk about this thing until you get the dedicated subforum (or thread) open?

No harm in spitballing shit that doesn't matter anyway.

I'm pretty sure I did read it. Didn't you also say that this is an open and completely inconclusive thread to talk about this thing until you get the dedicated subforum (or thread) open?

No harm in spitballing shit that doesn't matter anyway.
Indeed. Just wanted to point out that this is very likely not going to be just a ruleset, or fixed to some specific period of time.

So inline with the "if you want it, make it" mantra, if you want Van Buren to be canon just make it so, if it's New Vegas for you go ahead; there's no need for an NMA bible, we can just make that shit up depending on utility, as long as it doesn't conflict with Fallout 1&2 (which are, by far, the most important sources) it's cool.

So inline with the "if you want it, make it" mantra, if you want Van Buren to be canon just make it so, if it's New Vegas for you go ahead; there's no need for an NMA bible, we can just make that shit up depending on utility, as long as it doesn't conflict with Fallout 1&2 (which are, by far, the most important sources) it's cool.
I would like to have some basic lore and canon established (mostly Fallout 1 and 2, as everyone can agree on those), but yes, if someone wants to make a Van Buren campaign that's totally fine. If someone wants to redo the Fallout 3 and 4 campaigns, go ahead, and if someone wants to treat Fallout 3 and 4 as canon in their campaign that's also fine.
Campaigns are more or less free, it's the GM's and the players' decision what canon they like.

Ok, Ok ... I'd been working on and off for about 6 years or so on this project, but I feel this might be the time.

I present: my fallout tabletop adapted game rules.

PLEASE NOTE - THIS IS VERY MUCH WORK IN PROGRESS (but I'd consider it to be playable)

https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resid=C3E301820F8121B0!2238&authkey=!AMSoou15pUN_aHM&ithint=file,docx

(link is view only...)

There are other sections I need to make a little more formalised including the details of weapons and 'characters' ...

It's all done, but in a big Excel mess...

Cool P&P rules.
Reading through this currently, as of now it seems to be focused primarily on combat (though I feel as though I'll be forced to edit this out once I've finished reading it) and I dislike the ability roles being based on 1-10 roles, it seems that would make it to limited and would make critical failures less devastating.
Aside from that this looks like a great prototype to work off of, I especially like the movement rate stipulations, it seems like that'd fit in well with a Fallout game given the variety of terrain.
Additionally, no matter what ruleset we land on I'd like to include SPECIAL, given its significance to the series, just my opinion.

Last edited:
Back