A community effort

NMA - A post-apocalyptic roleplaying game?

• Interested in playing and helping

Votes: 57 63.3%
  • Interested in playing

Votes: 39 43.3%
  • Not interested

Votes: 6 6.7%

• Total voters
post ed. ed. (based on Izak's post)

my truncated and adapted rules are pretty much entirely combat oriented... So, RPG elements are missing almost categorically!

Hmm, those GURPS perks certainly look good. On the topic of perks should there be campaign specific ones? I know it's kind of a stupid question, GM's would easily be able to implement them if they cared, but should it be expected for campaigns to come with custom perks & traits?

Hmm, those GURPS perks certainly look good. On the topic of perks should there be campaign specific ones? I know it's kind of a stupid question, GM's would easily be able to implement them if they cared, but should it be expected for campaigns to come with custom perks & traits?
Usually all perks are in the source books already, the GM might decide to ban or restrict certain perks.
Since all we can do at the moment is brainstorm stuff I guess we could have a section on the source book for "Generation" perks adapted to whatever ruleset and genre of game it will be:
  • Perks from Fallout 1
  • Perks from Fallout 2
  • Perks from Fallout Tactics
  • Perks from Van Buren
  • Perks from Fallout New Vegas
  • Perks from Fallout 3
  • Perks from Fallout: PoS :eek:
Fallout 4 perks wouldn't work for a PnP game where older games perks would work, so no Fallout 4 perks.

Just so we cover all options and the GMs decide which to use, although I am pretty sure we would have a base perk pool of the classic games mostly while the rest would be there for the sake of completion.

My 2 cents since I have no idea how the game will play yet because a lot of work will have to be put into into and we are just having ideas :drunk:

Depending on what we want to do with this, I would say to use DnD 5E as a base, but with altered rules to accommodate a more modern setting. I'm also in favor of using a new IP.

I have to imagine the perks will be ripped straight out of Fallout 1, 2 and Van Buren, with changes made so it works better with a P&P game; but I meant contextual perks, like how in the New Vegas DLCs you'd be given additional perks that factored into the DLC, like the Sneering Imperialist perk, which was, in my opinion, the best perk in the game.
My 2 cents since I have no idea how the game will play yet because a lot of work will have to be put into into and we are just having ideas :drunk:
Yeah, as best I can tell this is basically the NMA spitball thread.

Can anybody make a campaign that crosses Fallout with War Against the Chtorr? Maybe it starts out as one of Big MT's accidents and spread itself from there? Or maybe a new IP that would be influenced from this specific concept.

Can anybody make a campaign that crosses Fallout with War Against the Chtorr? Maybe it starts out as one of Big MT's accidents and spread itself from there? Or maybe a new IP that would be influenced from this specific concept.
If a GM would be inclined to do so then of course :mrgreen:, it would require a bit of work to make the creatures and equipment and whatever else is specific to the War Against the Chtorr universe to fit the fallout PnP system (whatever that will be :wink:). I never read any of the books so I have no idea about what that would involve :-(.

@Hassknecht :
Not trying to pressure or being a dick but did you got any word about the subforum for this?
I am asking because I have been waiting to get word about it to start converting the classic Fallout games rules into something easy and "simplified" so it can make a good PnP ruleset, but if there is no word about it yet I can just go ahead and start posting stuff here to get people's feedback.

Or if people around agree in using an already existing ruleset/system, or if there is no interest in having a classic Fallout games PnP system please say so, because that would save me some time and work and I am a lazy wombat :nod:.

WAC is incompatible with the Fallout story, using the IP with the same rule set would be possible though, unless you're talking about taking the concept of WAC and applying it to Fallout, that'd be easy enough; if that's what you want then you might want to use the Tactics 2 concept (the story wasn't bad) over the Think Tank experiment thing.

WAC is incompatible with the Fallout story, using the IP with the same rule set would be possible though, unless you're talking about taking the concept of WAC and applying it to Fallout, that'd be easy enough; if that's what you want then you might want to use the Tactics 2 concept (the story wasn't bad) over the Think Tank experiment thing.

Why is it incompatible? All you would have to do is change the story to where the aliens show up later on.

If a GM would be inclined to do so then of course :mrgreen:, it would require a bit of work to make the creatures and equipment and whatever else is specific to the War Against the Chtorr universe to fit the fallout PnP system (whatever that will be :wink:). I never read any of the books so I have no idea about what that would involve :-(.

@Hassknecht :
Not trying to pressure or being a dick but did you got any word about the subforum for this?
I am asking because I have been waiting to get word about it to start converting the classic Fallout games rules into something easy and "simplified" so it can make a good PnP ruleset, but if there is no word about it yet I can just go ahead and start posting stuff here to get people's feedback.

Or if people around agree in using an already existing ruleset/system, or if there is no interest in having a classic Fallout games PnP system please say so, because that would save me some time and work and I am a lazy wombat :nod:.

The basic premise is that an alien ecology that is really alien comes to Earth and basically causes the apocalypse to happen. Communities in heavily affected areas turn into tribes that range from motorcycle gangs to groups that worship the alien(s) (I say alien because its possible the whole ecology is just one being). Almost everybody gains PTSD in some form from their experiences, and funky stuff like sentient alien cities start to become built across Earth that are called Mandalas because of their spiraling and detailed shapes.

Why is it incompatible? All you would have to do is change the story to where the aliens show up later on.
Eh, having aliens show up and basically wipe the slate clean would remove any Fallout influence to begin with, at that point you might as well just not do a crossover.

@Hassknecht :
I pm'd the currently active admin staff and posted the question in the staff forum, but @Korin and @Sander are currently absent or very inactive. @SuAside is the only active admin, but he's more of a janitor and doesn't want to decide without the consent of the others. If we don't hear from them (and the rest of the staff) within two weeks we'll just do it, though.
Until then we can start with basic organisational stuff. I'll start some threads regarding that over the weekend in the General Fallout subforum.
I'd like to have a list of what people can do and bring to the table, and I'll officially kick off the discussion on what system to use.
So until tomorrow everyone who wants to give their input regarding the ruleset can think about what they'd prefer, and prepare a short summary of their prefered system with a short list of pros and cons. We can then discuss the rulesets and their merits will finally probably vote on the system to use.
Deadline for the staff to disapprove the subforum is 16th to 18th of May, so I think we can have the decision for what system to use over by the time we get the subforum running. That means that all discussions have to be extremely concise, and everyone really needs to focus, read everything carefully and stay on topic.

So watch out for the General Roleplaying Subforum tomorrow. I'll also post links in this thread.

Thanks for the complete answer :mrgreen: I will review the material and sources for PnP systems people already posted here and get ready :ok:.

Thanks for the complete answer :mrgreen: I will review the material and sources for PnP systems people already posted here and get ready :ok:.
Excellent.
Don't worry, things will kick off soon enough. This is just the initial phase where we all need a little patience.
But after that I'll make sure to keep things going at a reasonable pace. Most of us have shit to do, be it school, college, job or just other hobbies. I have a full time job, too. So it's not like we can set cutthroat deadlines, but I will set certain deadlines to keep people from slacking off too much on their tasks and deliverables.
One of my first tasks will be to create a Gantt chart to have a guideline for what should be done when.

/edit: New threads:
http://nma-fallout.com/threads/nma-pnp-recruitment-thread.205684/
http://nma-fallout.com/threads/nma-pnp-the-ruleset-collection-thread.205685/

Last edited:
I guess I'll have to bump this one so people notice this before diving into the other threads.

Just use Exodus (it has rules for ghouls and super mutants) and make some changes. There's not much to change though. You have rules for reputation, skills, classes (all very appropriate, even has Vault Dwellers and gangsters [New Reno, here I come!]), traits, feats (perks), equipment (change the currency to caps and take out modern guns), power armor (just add extra abilities, for example a gas mask function and the like), drugs (change the names and effects), lodgings and houses, food and entertainment costs, transportation fares (change the locations), services and their costs, magazines, vehicles, diseases, radiation, advanced classes and a character sheet.

Just use Exodus (it has rules for ghouls and super mutants) and make some changes. There's not much to change though. You have rules for reputation, skills, classes (all very appropriate, even has Vault Dwellers and gangsters [New Reno, here I come!]), traits, feats (perks), equipment (change the currency to caps and take out modern guns), power armor (just add extra abilities, for example a gas mask function and the like), drugs (change the names and effects), lodgings and houses, food and entertainment costs, transportation fares (change the locations), services and their costs, magazines, vehicles, diseases, radiation, advanced classes and a character sheet.
Then please make your case for using Exodus/Fallout d20 in the ruleset collection thread in the way I detailed in the OP of that thread. Is the concept of these threads and the plan of action so hard to understand?

Then please make your case for using Exodus/Fallout d20 in the ruleset collection thread in the way I detailed in the OP of that thread. Is the concept of these threads and the plan of action so hard to understand?
No, fear of the mod and banning makes it a bit more complicated.

Ever heard of (something I made up) Sergeant syndrome? It's common in armies, where the privates see the sergeant as some powerful monster who can make their life hell or great if he wants. You're a nice guy, but it's the same here. Too many cases of mods banning people for little things, though it's not something that happens here a lot (thank god).

No, fear of the mod and banning makes it a bit more complicated.

Ever heard of (something I made up) Sergeant syndrome? It's common in armies, where the privates see the sergeant as some powerful monster who can make their life hell or great if he wants. You're a nice guy, but it's the same here. Too many cases of mods banning people for little things, though it's not something that happens here a lot (thank god).
That's because mods here can't ban people.
Anyway, I have no idea what you're on about. I'm trying to keep the threads regarding the PnP as on topic as possible, so I'm quick to vat stuff and point out that all the necessary information already exists and doesn't need to be repeated.

That's because mods here can't ban people.
Anyway, I have no idea what you're on about. I'm trying to keep the threads regarding the PnP as on topic as possible, so I'm quick to vat stuff and point out that all the necessary information already exists and doesn't need to be repeated.
They... can't?

Of course not, I've seen that happen a lot. Great, it makes me have to be more careful but great. Still, you're acting really serious about which is good, have to congratulate the determination.

Back