Fallout 4 review - No Todds, no Masters

Clannfears, Hungers, Deadroths, Golden Saints, Scamps, Winged Twilights... The Daedra all had their unique servants, and now? Nothing besides Dremora.
I think they justified that by claiming that the events of Oblivion has made it harder for Daedra to breach into Tamriel.

Also for all of my complaints of Skyrim, I will admit that Blackreach was pretty cool. Sadly not much was done with it aside for being a locale.

the last time they even tried was in Morrowind with Vivec.
Balmora, Ald Ruhn and Sadrith Mora technically counts as cities too (I'm guessing that major cities were small in Morrowind in order to improve performance). There are Morrowind mods aimed are rectifying that.

http://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/43014/?

Yeah, I understand that, and it wasn't so much of a problem because Vivec. That's what I mean, the last time they at least tried to create a city with some size that felt like a 'City'. Even if they made Vivec into many cities combined as one, due to the engine limitation. But that is a creative way to get around the limitation.

Yeah, I understand that, and it wasn't so much of a problem because Vivec. That's what I mean, the last time they at least tried to create a city with some size that felt like a 'City'. Even if they made Vivec into many cities combined as one, due to the engine limitation. But that is a creative way to get around the limitation.
Thank goodness for gondolas in Vivec. I still get lost there at times.

I don't know if it's just my puny millennial vision eyes that are holding me back, but I find the Towns in Arena confusing as fuck.

Yeah, it was also pretty bad in Daggerfall. Fascinating how quickly you get used to just following a quest marker...

Outside of some of the more vechicle based games, I find quest markers to be a failture. I mean, they make sense in a game like GTA, where everything is meant to be fast paced action, but a game like Fallout 3 wants you to explore, so they tell you where to go and not allow much in the way of breathing out of that marker? It really makes no sense.

The only time it makes sense is if it's an area you've visited before.

I would also say, a game like FFXV, quest markers are kind of okay, I'd prefer it if they were used only for the driving sections, but considering it has helped me find new side quests and stuff, they are a little useful

Outside of some of the more vechicle based games, I find quest markers to be a failture. I mean, they make sense in a game like GTA, where everything is meant to be fast paced action, but a game like Fallout 3 wants you to explore, so they tell you where to go and not allow much in the way of breathing out of that marker? It really makes no sense.

A good compromise is to have general quest markers which update with more information garnered, with more easier quests given by people who know a lot, and harder quests with more general, vague info. Someone who knows where the superlaser is at buttetown will give you a marker with the building its in (with the occasional toss up that their information is outdated), but someone who wants you to find someone can only give you a general location to look for, if that.

IRL, we already do this. We go to X place for Y thing, but how we get there doesn't always travel along the most efficent google maps route, for example.

A good compromise is to have general quest markers which update with more information garnered, with more easier quests given by people who know a lot, and harder quests with more general, vague info. Someone who knows where the superlaser is at buttetown will give you a marker with the building its in (with the occasional toss up that their information is outdated), but someone who wants you to find someone can only give you a general location to look for, if that.

IRL, we already do this. We go to X place for Y thing, but how we get there doesn't always travel along the most efficent google maps route, for example.
If the devs are competent and creative enough in their level and environmental design, and clear enough in their description of the places and the levels, absolutely no quest markers are needed at all.

In fact, quest journal systems are the only one ever needed to remind you where to actually go.

This, Morrowind had absolutely no quest markers and it had tons of locations. Sure, it was frustrating sometimes, but it was also more rewarding and believable. I would say, 99% of the time, a quest marker serves only one function. Instant gratification and lazy development. Damn! We have to think about ways how to design a good and logical map, layout and design. Fuck it! Just include quest markers. And suddenly when a game doesn't have it or for some reason it is disabled - like for a quest - people run around like headless chickens and blaming it on the game. I know this sounds like a rant, but hell even I notice it, but quest markers really really dull your mind.

Quest markers are a mistake. I can only tolerate quest markers for open world sandboxes because the in-game lands are too generic and samey to differentiate. Morrowind had the right idea of providing directions and landmarks via dialogue with vague compass-based directions. Too bad most games these days don't do that.

On a different point, maps in game should act like maps from classic Silent Hill. They should all be in-universe maps (maps that fit the setting like parchment-based maps for less modern settings and computer based ones for futuristic ones etc.) that get filled out with details found by players (i.e locked doors are highlighted, blocked ones are crossed out etc.) and said details should come about from player input (either they fill those details in themselves or the player character in-universe fills out the map on their own due to discovering those details via player input). They should not reveal everything at once.

Last edited:
Have the players think? Egads, the masses would riot. Unprofitable. No, no, we can't have that.

This was well worth the 3hrs, just to hear him call out the you tube wankers.

Ps, I'm a long time lurker on a new account....I don't give a shit about Virgil's views but damn he could debate well. This forum is worse off without him imo. Strange, from a place that champions " glittering gems "

* Good balanced enemies

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

*Deep breath*

I remember my level 40 character in full deadric armour, fully smithed to the damage resistance cap, and enchanted to give me as much HP as possible, with the gauntlets enchanted to give me +50 unarmed damage or some bullshit, with the fists of steel perk.

I solo'd Alduin and every dragon I could see with my fists alone, and the occasional health potion.

I was basically fucking chuck norris in Skyrim.

Then along comes "Bandit Chief" in full normal steel gear, and a steel warhammer.

An enemy which should be non-threatening even at level 20 or below.

He had at least several thousand HP, and killed me in 2 or so hits.

Balanced my fucking ass.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

*Deep breath*

I remember my level 40 character in full deadric armour, fully smithed to the damage resistance cap, and enchanted to give me as much HP as possible, with the gauntlets enchanted to give me +50 unarmed damage or some bullshit, with the fists of steel perk.

I solo'd Alduin and every dragon I could see with my fists alone, and the occasional health potion.

I was basically fucking chuck norris in Skyrim.

Then along comes "Bandit Chief" in full normal steel gear, and a steel warhammer.

An enemy which should be non-threatening even at level 20 or below.

He had at least several thousand HP, and killed me in 2 or so hits.

Balanced my fucking ass.

Moral of the story: Don't fuck with Bandit Chiefs.

Moral of the story: Don't fuck with Bandit Chiefs.

Except at level 10-20, I was happily beating them to death with steel gauntlets or swords.

But noooooooooooooo, of course as you get stronger, the fuckers become damage sponges.

I saw one of them solo a fucking giant, and later, a frost dragon.

Don't fuck with comically over-levelled enemies.

The hardest enemy I found, mind you with Organized Bantits, Revenge of the Enemies and Immersive collection, was a Forsworn Something dual wielding swords and carrying a +30% One Handed damage. On Easy he two-shotted and in Normal one slash was enough. That including his buddies with shit bows stunning me.

EDIT: Forsworn

Last edited by a moderator:
The high end Forsworn are pretty damn tough. Also, Falmer. Ridiculous amounts of health, crude weapons that still deal a ton of damage, and poison.
Skyrim is terribly unbalanced.

The high end Forsworn are pretty damn tough. Also, Falmer. Ridiculous amounts of health, crude weapons that still deal a ton of damage, and poison.
Skyrim is terribly unbalanced.

Oh fuck, I forgot about the underground blind thingies.

Yeah, those fuckers did absurd damage and had heaps of health, despite being half naked, and using fucking bug shells for weapons.

Back