Fallout 4 review - No Todds, no Masters

I can accept anything that games throw at me as i'm accepting the rules of the game, but when at high levels a Troll is stronger than a Dragon, that breaks the sense of disbelief/immersion and normally it's just bullshit

Except at level 10-20, I was happily beating them to death with steel gauntlets or swords.

Clearly they became sick of your shit and decided they weren't gonna take it anymore, so really you only have yourself to blame.

The high end Forsworn are pretty damn tough. Also, Falmer. Ridiculous amounts of health, crude weapons that still deal a ton of damage, and poison.
Skyrim is terribly unbalanced.

And despite being blind they can hit you with arrows regardless.

And despite being blind they can hit you with arrows regardless.
489285-ddwiz.gif

They are Skyrim's Daredevils. :roffle:

Armor is for weaklings unless it's Dragonbone!

Dragonbone is a stupid fucking idea.

Bone isn't made for the sorts of damage armour is supposed to take, even if it is from a giant flying lizard monster.

Daedric is actually better ingame, and it makes sense, its a sort of highly enhanced metal with demon shit on it.

People don't level up either and Dragonbone looks awesome so there. :)

I love myself a bit of 'rule of cool', but Dwarf Fortress has ruined me.

In DF, dragon bones are...Surprisingly, bones.

Dragonbone armour can be cut through by mere copper weapons.

It would have made more sense being dragon skin, dragon scale, dragon hide or dragon leather armor. Dragons are supposed to have really tough skin/hide/scales/whatever and in most fantasy settings making armors or shields out of it makes a lightweight but durable armor/shield with usually some kind of protection (red dragons makes it resistant to fire, ice dragons to cold, etc). But in Skyrim it has to be dragon bone because the Dragonborn consumes the dragon's soul and for some reason that makes the dragon's body being consumed too, only bones remain.

EDIT:After thinking for a bit, doesn't Skyrim also have dragon scale armor?

Eh different rules, different cosmologies.

Dragon bones in Elder Scrolls are the bones of a bunch of Demigods. Dragons are all direct relatives of Akatosh and immortal spirits akin to angels.

Just well...assholes.

Eh different rules, different cosmologies.

Dragon bones in Elder Scrolls are the bones of a bunch of Demigods. Dragons are all direct relatives of Akatosh and immortal spirits akin to angels.

Just well...assholes.

Breaks my suspension of disbelief when I see dragons being beaten to death by a couple of dudes in leather armour weilding iron weapons...

Breaks my suspension of disbelief when I see dragons being beaten to death by a couple of dudes in leather armour weilding iron weapons...
It also breaks my suspension of disbelief when those Demigods die so easily while some humans can't be killed and just keep getting up after a short rest on their knees. :confused:

They were Talos and the Champion of Cyrodiil in disguise.

Which is an entirely valid thing in this setting.

It also breaks my suspension of disbelief when those Demigods die so easily while some humans can't be killed and just keep getting up after a short rest on their knees. :confused:

Even worse.

If you mod kids to attack enemies, you end up with little girls killing everythign thrown at them.

Fuck I miss Fallout 1-2, where you could just off the little blighters, especially the fucking theif ones.

And then the Dragonborne just kills them. :postviper:

Which is also entirely valid for the setting.

:)

Except, you don't need to be a Dragonborn for that. Farmer Joe who does that may go on to become Akatosh, though, retroactively through storytelling.

Elder Scrolls has a lot of PS:T-esque rules to it in the lore.

I just think that in a game where they take pride of player freedom so much, having essential characters is just too restrictive. In Morrowind you could kill everyone, if they were relevant to the main quest a popup window would appear saying something like " With the death of this character the prophecy can't be completed. Load a save game before this character died to restore the threads of the prophecy." or something like that while the player could still play the game after that character was dead. And I think that even by killing those characters the player could still beat the main quest if he killed Vivec or something like that.
Morrowind might have been more restrictive (the way RPGs are) about what a particular main character can access or do in one playthrough but without a doubt gave more freedom about characters deaths than Skyrim ever did. There was none of this cheap and useless "Essential can't be killed" lazy gimmick.

EDIT: Found an image of the popup message:
EssentialCharacterKilledMorrowind.png

I just think that in a game where they take pride of player freedom so much, having essential characters is just too restrictive. In Morrowind you could kill everyone, if they were relevant to the main quest a popup window would appear saying something like " With the death of this character the prophecy can't be completed. Load a save game before this character died to restore the threads of the prophecy." or something like that. And I think that even by killing those characters the player could still beat the main quest if he killed Vivec or something like that.
Morrowind might have been more restrictive (the way RPGs are) about what a particular main character can access or do in one playthrough but without a doubt gave more freedom about characters deaths than Skyrim ever did. There was none of this cheap and useless "Essential can't be killed" lazy gimmick.

In one of the games I like, STALKER, you can kill basically everyone who isn't in a 'safe zone' (they won't let you in if you have a gun out, and there's enough people in there to kill any character anyway), including important story characters.

Typically even those in the 'safe zone' can be killed, if you follow certain quest lines anyway.

I just think that in a game where they take pride of player freedom so much, having essential characters is just too restrictive. In Morrowind you could kill everyone, if they were relevant to the main quest a popup window would appear saying something like " With the death of this character the prophecy can't be completed. Load a save game before this character died to restore the threads of the prophecy." or something like that while the player could still play the game after that character was dead. And I think that even by killing those characters the player could still beat the main quest if he killed Vivec or something like that.

EDIT: Found an image of the popup message:
EssentialCharacterKilledMorrowind.png
Yeah, you can beat the main quest even after killing Vivec. It's balls-out hard, though. Since Vivec is supposed to give you Wraithguard during the main quest, you're without Wraithguard when you kill him. Instead, you loot a "unique dwemer artifact" from his body, which has the model of a left-handed daedric gauntlet. You have to talk to Yagrum Bagarn and get two books from 6th House bases so he can jury-rig a functional Wraithguard from that. Thing is that the jury-rigged Wraithguard deals you 200-250 damage when you first put it on, so you need to be prepared for that. Oh, and while that damage is supposed to be temporal, you actually lose that health permanently in most versions of Morrowind, so you're screwed really hard.

Back