Fallout Officially is Bethesda/Dead

• Thread starter Thread starter TorontoReign
  • Start date Start date
T

TorontoReign

https://www.theguardian.com/games/2...odd-howard-pete-hines-elder-scrolls-starfield

A recent interview with Todd Howard has confirmed our fears. New Vegas 2? Never. If it isn't Bethesda, it ain't Fallout. Drink a shot of Rotgut tonight in honor of the days of isometric Fallout.

"I wouldn't say never," Howard said. "[But] now that our company is so big, it's always better to keep stuff internal ... it becomes less likely, but I could never say never. I thought the Obsidian guys did a fabulous job."

“For Skyrim Remastered, we had done some work on it but it was already pretty visually close. But for something like Morrowind, my personal preference is not to remaster it. We [also] get asked a lot to remaster [1997’s] Fallout 1, and I usually say, if you have a PC you can play Fallout the way it was. I think that’s how it should be. I think streaming technology is definitely coming, and it’s gonna make people’s access to games infinitely easier. You’ve seen it happen to music and movies and I think it’s a great thing.”

As for Starfield, Bethesda’s new sci-fi role-playing game, Howard says we shouldn’t expect to play it soon: “We’ve been talking about it for a decade, we started putting things on paper five, six years ago, and active development was from when we finished Fallout 4, so two and a half, three years.” When it comes to both The Elder Scrolls VI and Starfield, he says, “everyone should be very patient. It’s gonna take a while for what we have in mind to come out.”

No remake of Fallout 1 and 2 either. Thank Per, Roshambo, and Jebus for that.

tzuGRUi.jpg

Not sure about others, but for me it's a pretty good news.
No outsourcing so we don't need to build our hopes up for "another New Vegas".
No remake/remaster of old Fallout games so we won't see classic games getting bethrape.

No remake/remaster of old Fallout games so we won't see classic games getting bethrape.

My sentiments exactly. The community needs to focus on mods for the originals and new games instead of looking to recapture nostalgia.

Also, your sig is missing Tactics.

:deal:

FO3 is cheap now. I would not mind seeing a Total Conversion done to it; done within the bounds of the GECK eula, and done well enough to put them to shame for the decade long insult.

(* I'd help.)

FO3 is cheap now. I would not mind seeing a Total Conversion done to it; done within the bounds of the GECK eula, and done well enough to put them to shame for the decade long insult.

(* I'd help.)

What kind of Total Conversion?

Also, your sig is missing Tactics.

:deal:
Nah, I never played Tactics pass the tutorial. And I only put the games I consider canon in my sig. :P
(To anyone trying to tell me Fallout 3/4 are canon because Bethesda owns the franchise now or shit like that, don't bother.)

What kind of Total Conversion?
People know what resources exist in the base game; AFAIK those are fair use. I think a new story could be made with existing assets, and new ones; possibly reuse a good bit of the dialog. In general, just a better campaign, possibly done with less NPCs, and more variations on quest solutions. Stricter SPECIAL/Skills integration; no lockpick mini-game (or in the very least, a better one), etc...
lock4.gif

_____
My preference would be to change the gameplay.

I once asked Socrates200x (or RadHamster—the AI programmer... I am not sure which anymore) about controlling the AI to wait out its turn via script commands, and was given back the impression that it was at least possible to make FO3 workably turn based... not that Bethesda ever would.

We know the engine can do ISO-3D, because the GECK itself does that for world editing, and Gamebryo has been used for RTS games; (and even racing games).
_____

*Me playing around: (in-game)

Most of the large buildings would need roof tops made for them, if it was to be ISO-3D. A Fallout style map is probably not impossible; the terminal menus are 3D, the game UI could be.

FO3 actually does track game time during ('fast') map-travel... it just doesn't do anything with it; but it could.

If the vantage angle is fixed (or at least known at the time), then it might even be possible (using the known mouse position) to implement scripted point & click navigation, or even a TB minigame/menu combat system; even use VATS as the aimed shot.

** Obviously the NPC interaction, and character choices take precedence over systems retro-fitting. A better story than "find daddy", and "die in front of friends, doing what they could manage unharmed...".

Perhaps add a proper Mr.Handy :twisted:
Handy-Comparison.jpg

Handy-house4.jpg

Last edited:
People know what resources exist in the base game; AFAIK those are fair use. I think a new story could be made with existing assets, and new ones; possibly reuse a good bit of the dialog. In general, just a better campaign, possibly done with less NPCs, and more variations on quest solutions. Stricter SPECIAL/Skills integration; no lockpick mini-game (or in the very least, a better one), etc...
lock4.gif

_____
My preference would be to change the gameplay.

I once asked Socrates200x (or RadHamster—the AI programmer... I am not sure which anymore) about controlling the AI to wait out its turn via script commands, and was given back the impression that it was at least possible to make FO3 workably turn based... not that Bethesda ever would.

We know the engine can do ISO-3D, because the GECK itself does that for world editing, and Gamebryo has been used for RTS games; (and even racing games).
_____

*Me playing around: (in-game)

Most of the large buildings would need roof tops made for them, if it was to be ISO-3D. A Fallout style map is probably not impossible; the terminal menus are 3D, the game UI could be.

FO3 actually does track game time during ('fast') map-travel... it just doesn't do anything with it; but it could.

If the vantage angle is fixed (or at least known at the time), then it might even be possible (using the known mouse position) to implement scripted point & click navigation, or even a TB minigame/menu combat system; even use VATS as the aimed shot.

** Obviously the NPC interaction, and character choices take precedence over systems retro-fitting. A better story than "find daddy", and "die in front of friends, doing what they could manage unharmed...".

Perhaps add a proper Mr.Handy :twisted:
Handy-Comparison.jpg

Handy-house4.jpg

S577ztd.png

Man, Todd Howard is one scummy bastard. I don't trust people who speak the way he does. Every word is so sanitized. Damn creepy.

Like No-Bark said; "If a man's wearing his pants on his head or if he says his words backwards from time to time, you know it's all laid out there for you. But if he's friendly to strangers and keeps his home spick-and-span, more often than not he's done something even his own ma couldn't forgive."

Bethesda should be a synonym for dead/dying/killed

like, "I bethesda'd a fly that wouldn't stop bothering me" or "2 people were bethesda'd in today's tragic car accident" or "A man bethesda'd in this house 40 years ago"

To be fair, Obsidian is not the same company that made NV. Almost everyone who worked on NV great is gone, and last I heard they were disorganized to hell. While I enjoy all Fallout games for what they offer, I do fear that the next Fallout game is just going to ditch the role playing aspect entirely in favour of trying be like Mass Effect/Borderlands. Maybe I'm wrong and if anything they just make it like Fallout 3, but more moddern, but my hopes aren't high. But hey, it's not like the next REAL Fallout is coming out anytime soon.

"I wouldn't say never," Howard said. "[But] now that our company is so big, it's always better to keep stuff internal ... it becomes less likely, but I could never say never. I thought the Obsidian guys did a fabulous job."

Unless he's talking exclusively about raw sales and total profit, that's 100% bullshit. There is no way in hell that he actually thinks highly of New Vegas as a video game rather than a mere product for his firm to sell. If the interviewer actually pressed he about it, I doubt that he would even be able to explain a single one of the design aspects that actually makes New Vegas good. The dude is just a fucking huckster that doesn't understand anything about the product that his company is selling and thus only speaks about it using generic terms and hyperbole.

My thoughts exactly.

Fallout of Nevada for me was the best thing that happened to the series since 1998 %)

Last edited:
Back