How did you discover Fallout ?

A friend of mine got the game for Christmas. As I was too cheap to buy games, I took the full install off his CD.

I had to upgrade my computer because I couldn't load the Boneyard :)

Since then, I've bought Fallout 1& 2 individually, Tactics, and the Dual Jewel. Fallout 2 the day it came out too.

The only games I've ever bought.

I found Fallout in 2000.
One day, while looking for a cd in "Free Record Shop", I noticed the cardboard box of Fallout on one of the shelves, picked it up, took a look, liked it and bought it (it was mildly priced, probably because it was already an 'old' game in 2000).
I started playing it the same day and finished it two days later, after which I started a new game and another one and so on.
In 2001 I found the dual jewel box and played Fallout 2. I still remember very vividly how - after playing the game for hours on end - I would sometimes hear the music from Fallout 2 while walking the streets or taking a bath (especially that Modoc tune!). I also bought Fallout Tactics in 2001, when I got my new computer, and was really impressed by the graphics.
Then, of course, I learned about the framerate, the anachronisms, the anomalies...

I was over at a friends house and I saw his brother playing Fallout 1. Now at this time, th eonly rpg I knew about was D and D and Final Fantasy, and Diablo.

I liked Diablo and thought future diablo (I was also young so sue me) would be cool. I borrowed the game and was hooked accordingly. I had never played a game with so much to do from items, to quests, character development, and setting.

PS: I had never played a game with such great voice actors as Fallout had. Cheerist imagine my suprise when I found out the likes of Keith David, Richard Dean Anderson, Michael Dorn, Ron Perlman and others were involved.

[3PD said:
PsychoSniper]Ok, heres mine.

Up until the time I got FO I tended to dislike RPG's.
One day, I was looking at the bargin shelf and saw the Fallout/Fallout 2 dual jewl case, and te power armour looked coo, plus the general post-appc setting seemed cool, and it was only $10 for both, so I bought them.
I installed, and played them, an loved it.
Then I discoverd melting raiders with my turbo plasma rifle.
An once I got to FO2, I discoverd whoring out female PC's at the den.............

Damn, you're a friggin idiot.

DarkCorp said:
PS: I had never played a game with such great voice actors as Fallout had. Cheerist imagine my suprise when I found out the likes of Keith David, Richard Dean Anderson, Michael Dorn, Ron Perlman and others were involved.

Mcgyver's a voice actor ?????? WHO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

( Mcgyver = Richard Dean Anderson )

He was Killian Darkwater from Junktown. If you do a google search on the stars I have mentioned above, you will see Fallout listed as a project they were involved with. Hell, Killian looks like Richard Dean Anderson in a strange way.

Richard Dean Anderson: Killian Darkwater

Michael Dorn: Frank Horrigan, Marcus the mutant sheriff, maybe others?

Keith David: Voice of Decker, the guy in Maltese Falcon bar who wanted PC to kill the sheriff.

Ron Perlman: Narator and the voice of Butch.

There are also a shitload of other big actors too. Just go to the talking heads in Fallout 1 and 2 on this beautifal site and then google some info out of them.

My uncle installed a demo of Fallout from a demo disk. Having never played an RPG (except for the unfriendly console games), we made an inept attempt of survival in the wastelands. Which meant heading to the raider camp, engaging in a fight with the nearest guy with the best looking gun, and getting trounced.

The demo had an influential hold on me for a while. I picked it up despite the mature ratings and Fallout 2 shortly there after.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0134648/

I reently dug up a link in regards to all the actors who had a part in Fallout. You can also search for the voice actors of Fallout 2 and Fallout: POS (shudder).

PS: Damn, I just noticed that a lot of the voice actors are still acting today. I was suprised that CCH Pounder er whatever her name is plays a detective in the series "The Shield".

My boyfriend at the time introduced me to it. I was bored with the Ultimas, and he told me to give Fallout a shot (this was very shortly before Fallout 2 was coming out). I was fourteen at the time.

I fell in love with it. And Fallout 2 came out soon after, so it was even better.

Other ones he introduced me to were GTA, Tomb Raider, Postal and Half Life. Didn't like them nearly as much.

That boyfriend eventually uninstalled his video games from his machine because I wasn't paying attention to him. ;)

Time to find a boyfriend that will let you keep playing the games.

Even better is one that wouldn't mind you playing the game while he was trying to have sex with you. Or even better, having sex while playing Fallout.

/me ducks and covers. :lol:

My turn

In 1999, there was a magazine that gave a full version of Fallout1 with a shitload of "GIGAHIT" thingies, so I felt a bit disoriented knowing that things called like this usually aren't worth it, so I didn't buy it. But a few months later the same magazine had the Fallout2, and I bought it (i don't know what for). Then I started playing.

Just a year ago I bought the Fallout1 from a friend, because I got hooked in the sequel.

That was my story.

I first saw Fallout in the local EB around the time of it's release, and was amazed by the fact you could talk to people (up to that point, I had only really played Doom and the like). Unfortunately I was broke at the time and completely forgot about it. About a year later, I stumbled onto Fallout's website, and quickly downloaded the demo. I slept very little that night. Again I forgot the game because a virus destroyed the demo. Finally I found Fallout 2, and on the outer wrapping of the box there was a sticker that said "Fallout Included." As I removed the contents of the box, I found that it not only contained both Fallouts, but also both manuals! Both games were installed as fast as humanly possible.

And that's the story of the most well spent $30 of my life.

Well, my first thought of Fallout, when it's first advertised on PC Gamer or something like that, was this, "Heck! Another DIABLO CLONE!!"

In the retrospect, that is laughable, but in the same time, very scary. Could the similar graphical viewpoint be so misleading?

Obviously so!! I think that was exactly what killed the System Shock sales, and perhaps Thief as well.

That makes me start wondering: Do good studios generally have bad PR or most PR folks simply fail to understand the beauty of these gems? (Not to mention the Planescape: Torment advertisements, which simply confused me completely... "What can change the nature of man?" "Sigil, City of Doors." Idiots, these catchphrases told me nothing about the game!!)

Sorry, I was digressing...

That all changed when I played the Fallout demo. Decent at first, but not impressived until near the very end, I turned that burst mode on my SMG and saw two people splattering blood all over... Gosh, that was a mixture of both excitement and awe! I got a copy within a week, and played so hard that my parents worrying my college work decided to confiscate it for a while. I simply got another copy and went on playing... (I had to sell another one on eBay later)

And guys, the reason I got Fallout demo? It's this simple, "Gosh, no game to play! Maybe this Fallout demo will give me a quick hack and slash fix for the weekend..." Still misled till the last moment.

This thread should be a sticky I think? Another welcome thread type thing. Anybody else think so?

It'd be good for the Fallout community to share the stories about how they first met the love of their life. Making this a sticky thread would help us keep that bond in the future.

Done.

Back