Obsidian Announcement on 6th of December

My point is that i think 10s characters are just bad design. All characters should have at least one flaw.
Bad design? Because it gives you freedom to choose? You don't want role-playing then, you pretty much want someone else do the role-playing for you by forcing you into character archetypes, such as classes.

In Fallout you have to reduce one or two stats in order to become competent in one of the others. Now THAT is bad design. It's like you cannot be a "smart and charismatic sniper". Bullshit.

There's one thing I very much agree with Cain. Skills should not be represented as numbers. A lockpicking skill of 80 makes no sense because no one can tell the difference between that and 75 or 85.

Last edited:
Guess we have completely different interpretations what a RPG should be.

Dungeon and Dragons didn't allowed you to make perfect characters and DnD is pretty much the father of RPGs. So calling it bad design is weird.

If you want RPGs that implement D&D like rulesets, that's fine with me. I just want them to be more realistic and less "game like".

I agree that they should be able to handle an all 10 character but I don't think it should be encouraged. If it's not possible, I'm not upset. It's kinda boring to me anyway.
Keep in mind a 10/10 in a stat means you are at peak performance. If you have 10 intelligence you're not just smart, you're a fucking genius. How many people are super charismatic leaders with Einstein levels of intellect, that can run miles without being winded, lift hundreds of pounds, more agile than cats, have superhuman senses of their surroundings, and have luck of a lottery ticket winner?

Meh.

@Norzan No, of course it's not realistic, neither is all 1 char. But I don't want any restrictions on CC. I'm perfectly capable of creating the character I want to play, just let ME create whatever I want, I may give it a flaw or two myself, if that's what I want to play as.

To me too much freedom is a bad thing and restrictions are a good thing when it's not too much. It allows me to be creative. When i can literally pick everything, there's no imagination to me because i can just pick everything. You calling bad design to this when this is the system used on a lot of the best rpgs of all time is weird.

But let's just agree to disagree.

The "flawed" characters in the minds of D&D players...
Dump stats in D&D
In older editions of Dungeons & Dragons, some players considered Charisma to be a common dump stat, believing it to affect little else but social interactions with NPCs. The notion of Charisma as a universal dump stat in D&D, and the resulting stereotype that D&D players eagerly trade characters' personability for power, has been the subject of gaming humor and parody.

2009-04-24-dumpstat_141.png

Last edited:
Dump stats needing to be fixed and characters needing flaws/not so perfect stats aren't quite the same.

For example, in Fallout 1 your Charisma being 1 doesn't prevent people from talking to you, though it probably should for some people just as 1 INT does that too. The problem is how Charisma is used throughout the world and that it's not affecting much if anything if it's low when it should. If you have near lowest Charisma possible you're probably talking to people like an asshole or you're absolutely sketchy, aggressive, or standoffish and should be treated as such. Get less rewards. Though the quest giver was advertising 100 coins to whoever completed their quest, you're getting 50 because they don't like the way you behave. Shit like that.

The funny part is claiming to want RPGs to be more "realistic" but then want to make perfect 10s characters and forget that flawed characters are realistic. Even 1s are realistic, i know some people that can't do shit in real life.

You can't claim to want something to be more realistic but then ask for something that contradicts that.

Last edited:
I agree that they should be able to handle an all 10 character but I don't think it should be encouraged. If it's not possible, I'm not upset. It's kinda boring to me anyway.
Keep in mind a 10/10 in a stat means you are at peak performance. If you have 10 intelligence you're not just smart, you're a fucking genius. How many people are super charismatic leaders with Einstein levels of intellect, that can run miles without being winded, lift hundreds of pounds, more agile than cats, have superhuman senses of their surroundings, and have luck of a lottery ticket winner?

Meh.

Dolph Lundgren =p

If you don't want the freedom to create more realistic characters without dumping a particular stat in order to boost another, then we have nothing to talk about.

Dump stats needing to be fixed and characters needing flaws/not so perfect stats aren't quite the same.
Sure, not the same thing, but that's how they see it. The dump stat is basically the flaw of that character, according to them, not me. That's also what most Fallout guides recommend to players. That's NOT role-playing, it's what powergamers do.

The choice for the initial stats and skills should be left to the player, that's what I'm saying. The game shouldn't be doing the role-playing for you.

Last edited:
Apparently this new game is about the "Foundation" novels by Isaac Asimov. Read it on the interwebz, havent read any of these so no idea if its a thing.

I have those books, but have never had the time or interest to read them, but if that's true then the game should have a solid story, it's Asimov after all.

Apparently this new game is about the "Foundation" novels by Isaac Asimov. Read it on the interwebz, havent read any of these so no idea if its a thing.

artworks-000247206820-7uewwd-t500x500.jpg

Don´t you DARE say that.

I FUCKING LOVE The Foundation trilogy (prequels and sequels too actually), it is my second favorite book franchise ever, and my heart just is not ready for something like that

Well, I am a bit of an anomaly here. You see, when I Play New Vegas. I make my own character, set charisma at 1 and go from there. But once I max out all the skills, the SPECIAL stats like strength are increased to 10. Which happens in the late game anyway, mods. The only exception is charisma which stays at 1 no matter. I like to see my character grow, but at the same time being Perfect is just boring. Plus, I roleplay as a guy, who works for people but doesnt really care or like them. He is still polite.

The way I see it, letting the player become almost Perfect/Perfect does not hurt if done properly. Making the player work hard for it is fine with me. However, giving the player fatman or power armour in 20 minutes is neither fun nor satisfying. Fallout 2 let You become perfect once You beat the game. There is also Ng+.

Implants, Lonesome road, etc. You work for it.

Last edited:
If the Asimov rumor is wrong I will cry because now my hopes are up!

Foundation is amazing and bundle that with the little art we've seen so far... Phew.

Edit: alright I've got a pulse. Is this going to be good?

Well, I can throw in that the assumption about it being based on Isaac's novels is drawn by the term "it's not the best choice, it's spacers choice" on the pic with the gun.
And "spacer" seems to be a term on the novels (wiki-link ).

Found the link to the news-site: https://www.shacknews.com/article/108744/obsidian-teases-new-game-reveal-for-the-game-awards-2018

So I'd say its a bit vague but so far pretty plausible.

@Cobra Commander : Well, if you'Re this touched by my illiteracy I should maybe consider getting the books :D

Back