Obsidian Announcement on 6th of December

It is simply MANDATORY for sci fi fans to read The Foundation. Period.

It's just like being a fan of fantasy novels and never having read Lord of the Rings. Does not work.

I read the first Foundation novel a while back, but I think I was too young to appreciate it truly. I'll add the Foundation saga to the lists of books I need to read before I die.
Anyone else a Philip K Dick fan? I'm reading through the VALIS trilogy at the moment, which is really excellent.

Imagine if the new project is a distant sequel to Arcanum.

The artwork kinda reminds me of the pictures used for the schematics for the items you could craft there.

Nevertheless, it'll be interesting to see what they announce.

Arcanum: Of Quantum Mechanics and Magick Obscura.
I'll be in my bunk.

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.
So Foundation space RPG by Obsidian.
Really hope they can pull it off.

takemymoney.jpg

Are we quite sure if it's indeed based on the Foundation series? I mean, The Caves of Steel also seems to mention The Outer Worlds and Spacers.

It would be funny if the game turns out to be based on The Naked Sun, which was the first ever scifi book I've read. :D

Yeah, there's plenty of potential works to chose from. I find this to be an interesting setting for a game. Lots of conflict and room for choice.

Here's an excerpt from The Naked Sun... :)

tns.png

tns2.png

I didn't read it in English, if I did perhaps these words would ring a bell, though I doubt it, it was almost 40 years ago. :)

Last edited:
If we look at the Auntie Cloe picture it says "better than nature" and at least in caves of steel (and I guess Naked Sun too) it's mentioned that Earth is primarily fed by yeast based products.

Edit: and Foundation it's mentioned that Trantor is too.

Last edited:
Would The Foundation universe be compatible with the art-style Obsidian have been using for advertisement of this game? I doubt it.

Last edited:
Would The Foundation universe be compatible with the art-style Obsidian have been using for advertisement of this game? I doubt it.
TBH, I'm now a bit apprehensive about the artwork as it doesn't seem very futuristic to me.
I don't know how they imagine that universe, and I'm not aware of any preexisting illustrations, cartoons etc. for the books that they can use as a visual reference.

The Foundation is hard sci-fi, not really retro.
While those illustrations are definitely retro style. I think it would be very hard to make a Foundation universe game and use those retro style illustrations.

Not to mention that if it is the Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky project, it wouldn't make sense using a pre-existing universe and lore. They are known for creating their own stuff and that's where they shine the brightest.

Also Obsidian was already one foot in the bankruptcy, I don't think they would have the money to buy the rights for The Foundation. Specially not when they can make their own universe and not be stuck in pre-existing lore.

I also don't think they would keep that fact as a secret. If they made a The Foundation game, I bet they would brag about it right away to build crazy hype and get the attention of Asimov's fans.

Back