Obsidian Announcement on 6th of December

Well, not really. Bethesda's name is certainly the biggest for now, but games like The Witcher 3 have proven they don't hold the monopoly anymore and could be dethroned anytime soon.
The Witcher 3 still doesn't do the "open world" the same style as Bethesda. Also it's not a shooter, so it attracts a different audience from the ones that drool when they play Bethesda games.

I just want a studio to make a "Bethesda" style game that is a quality product.

Although I doubt Outer Worlds will allow the players to pick up all the trash spread around on the map. So maybe it will still not appeal to the "Bethesda-like game" players.

All I could hear when the woman started talking was: "My name is Tandi, what's yours?"

As for the announcement, well, I've never been a fan of FO3/FO4 or even New Vegas. But I do like games like Bioshock or V:tM-B. So I'm certainly going to give it a shot, regardless of it being first person.
Somewhat disappointed that it's not third person isometric, but hey, they never said it would be.

Have to see if it even matters at all which is better. Or if both are shit.

The trailer to TOW wasn't very good. Just a run-off-the-mill FPS game with unfunny jokes. The only reason I'm even mildly interested at this is because of the people behind it and that it was only just revealed and we don't know much.

If I didn't know it's Tim/Leo/Obsidian, I would've brushed this off as just another thing not to play.

I also kind of have my doubts about The Outer Worlds. I wasn't completely impressed by it.

Classic Fallout: P&P inspired, turn based combat, Post Apocalyptic Retro Futuristic Western
Outer Worlds: FPS, real time combat, Retro Futuristic Sci-Fi Western

A pity it's FPS. But to be honest, I have been waiting for a company to make a quality FPS, RPG to show Bethesda's how's done. While showing players what a real RPG is.

I hope Outer Worlds will finally be an IP that will compete with Bethesda's games. Because Bethesda has been alone in the "open world "RPG" development" for decades now. Without competition, companies will just shit on consumers and make low quality products.

I don't mind that it is First Person but content wise it did not grab me.
It would be nice if the failure of Fallout 76 and if this game is successful would result in Bethesda being forced to reflect on to how they have been developing games in the last couple of years, but I don't really see that happen.

Sounds like borderlands with extra steps. Well, it looks cool enough, looking forward to seeing more info on it.

This is the biggest 'Fuck You' to bethesda that Obsidian could give. :lol:
1544177587232.png

Yes it's damage done, confirmed:

UFqXEby.png

Edit: Wooz would have been disturbed by the lack of shadows from these critters.

Damage done is a bit too borderlands for me, but it's not a dealbreaker. Cyberpunk 2077 does something similar. So far, I am cautiosly optimistic. I won't preorder, but if it turns out similar to New Vegas, I will buy it over Cyberpunk 2077.

Another run-of-the-mill scifi game. Colonists, Cryonics, Edge-of-the-Galaxy, corps, stupid lookin' Spaceships.

I'll pass. I wish Sony came out with their space game, looked more realistic at least.

Another run-of-the-mill scifi game. Colonists, Cryonics, Edge-of-the-Galaxy, corps, stupid lookin' Spaceships.
Run of the mill how? Which other games except for Borderlands have even a remotely similar aesthetic?

The illustrations and typography on the signs are amazing.

I really, really like the ships.

The town looks like a Western version of Disney's Main Street, USA. Or Moxie's bar in Borderlands 2? Don't know what to make of it.

Some of the natural environment components look much more photo-realistic than the stylized characters and buildings. This is a problem, it doesn't gel well with the rest.

Lighting and color palette are almost as bad as the animations.

Looks interesting. It'll be nice to have a sci-fi RPG after all the medieval ones.

Gonna keep my eye on it.

This is the biggest 'Fuck You' to bethesda that Obsidian could give. :lol:

E: Spoilertags:)
1544177587232.png
Nope. To me the biggest finger was "you know you didnt have to shoot either one, right?!". Just think about the choices in F4's main story. Or ANY quest in F4.
The claims about being the ORIGINAL creators just twisted the blade inside the already fatal wound.

Also don't get the negativity going on here. From what I've seen, I'm eager to see more, and thats rare these days.

Run of the mill how? Which other games except for Borderlands have even a remotely similar aesthetic?
What makes you think he's talking about aesthetics? Mass Effect: Andromeda, which is a recent game, had colonists, cyronics, evil corps (maybe not, except Cerberus), uncharted space and stupid spaceships. Even Fallout 4 had some of that.

Also don't get the negativity going on here.
Fallout 4 fanboys didn't get my "negativity" at its launch either and even personally attacked me for it. Didn't matter in the end. Anyone can have an opinion, but some have better judgement than others.

Last edited:
they couldn't have get a better timing :grin: i'm mostly concerned that they're trying to make another new vegas just in a different dress. i love new vegas, but we've already played it. trying to make the same great thing twice almost never ends well

I hope Outer Worlds will finally be an IP that will compete with Bethesda's games. Because Bethesda has been alone in the "open world "RPG" development" for decades now. Without competition, companies will just shit on consumers and make low quality products.
Well there is kingdom come: Deliverance that does open world similar to Bethesda.

I don't have an opinion now. Though I really like art direction. Anyone can guess when can we get more info on this (any events coming that Microsoft organises or takes part)?

Back