Preston Garvey, arguable the most annoying Fallout character ever, spawns dozens of related memes

I mean that's the only choice you get, the big ass "E" prompt appears and "Press to emote" above it, that's the dialogue with each and every NPC. Bethesda doesn't want the player to get lost trying to make a dialogue choice so they "simplify" it. Player choice is such a disgusting idea to encourage these days, wouldn't want to make you know...an RPG with everything an RPG has.

Consequences! You have no idea how many gamers complain on a per-day basis whenever they play RPG games on how the game's "punishing" for having choices that impact the player character directly. It gets pretty annoying.

Off-topic here, but my opinion is: RPGs represent the fantasy of being able to see the consequences of actions in an unrealistic environment. Action games represents the fantasy of being able to act in realistic environments without consequences. Combining the two usually results in a not-so-enjoyable experience, because seeing the consequences of actions in a realistic environment already hits too close to home.

Games like Deus Ex and The Witcher are considered to me RPGs in the sense that unlike a traditional RPG, someone has already built your role partially for you. Games that go many steps further to completely build your character for you aren't RPGs, such as traditional FPS games. My personal belief is that how much of an RPG a game is depends on how much control you have over the progression - both as a character and in terms of skills - of the player character you have. It's not how much you play the role - in every game you play a role - but how much you get to build and shape that role, that makes an RPG.

Well, at least Bethesda showed that they could top even Moira.

Oh come on, Moira's at least got a personality and can be pretty funny sometimes. (try talking to her during the RobCo part of the Wasteland Guide in the Mechanist outfit) Preston meanwhile is simply devoid of life. He's literally the poster boy for radiant quests and nothing more.

Just as a side note to the whole cat debacle, I'd like to point out something I found in FO4 today. In Diamond City, in the upper stands or whatever the fuck the "ritzy" area is called, right across from where that bar is, to the right, there's a house. I don't remember the resident's name, but when you go inside this house it is literally filled with cats. Cats everywhere. The upstairs, the downstairs, on the stairs, etc etc. There have to be at least 30 cats in this one house along with 2 owners. So there's a lot more cats than you guys think. ;P

Fallout 4 Reddit users getting butthurt/
image.jpeg

I do agree that Preston Gravey is truly the most annoying video game character I have ever encountered in any video game ever.

Sometimes he walks up to me while I'm at the weapons bench modding something and asked "What are you building?" and then he actually starts to give me a quest WHILE I'M AT THE WORKBENCH!

Oh come on, Moira's at least got a personality and can be pretty funny sometimes. (try talking to her during the RobCo part of the Wasteland Guide in the Mechanist outfit) Preston meanwhile is simply devoid of life. He's literally the poster boy for radiant quests and nothing more.
I liked Moira. She was amusing, had good voice acting, and you could have an actual conversation with her about things rather than her just spewing out repeated quests. And if you destroyed Megaton she turns into a ghoul and you get to tell her about it. Not that I did that...

Last edited:
I've pretty much done everything in the game to the point where I've run out of quests to do. It's gotten to the point where I actually want Preston to give me quests as sad as that it. Ironically, he no longer gives me quests, he just wants to talk about himself now.

Is this some kind of cruel task by your mistress/master as punishment, or why do you torture your self with doing everything in the game, no matter how mundane it is? With other words, are you masochistic?

Fallout 4 Reddit users getting butthurt/
Wait, so you aren't allowed to criticize the lore or devs of FO4 on that Subreddit?, That would be like R/IncestRelationships not being allowed to discuss Incest. The very nature of Fallout 4 is Bullshit, so if you can't directly call it out, you can't discuss the topic at hand.

But tbf you've got to feel kinda sorry for the guy shown if someone went through his posts and downvoted everything just to spite him.

Is this some kind of cruel task by your mistress/master as punishment, or why do you torture your self with doing everything in the game, no matter how mundane it is? With other words, are you masochistic?
No, hard to believe I'm sure but I do actually enjoy Bethesda's games at face value. I like exploring around, discovering new places and doing quests. I'm also aware though that it makes me read like a Bethesda fanboy sadly.

Unlike the fanboys though, I'm fully aware that the games are not that great when you get down to them and they use way to many retcons and asspulls then what should be allowed. I also don't defend them because even though I enjoy them, I know they aren't good games really.

I guess I just have a high tolerance for Bethesda games I guess.

I've pretty much done everything in the game to the point where I've run out of quests to do. It's gotten to the point where I actually want Preston to give me quests as sad as that it. Ironically, he no longer gives me quests, he just wants to talk about himself now.
Wait...you mean he actually runs out of radiant quests? How many did he actually give you? You must be Level 9000 by now.

Wait...you mean he actually runs out of radiant quests? How many did he actually give you? You must be Level 9000 by now.

Funny enough, in Preston's case it was assumed a feature until it was revealed to be a bug, while with most Bethesda issues they're bugs until unofficially declared features.

Honestly though, it's whatever Bethesda wants it to be so that they don't look bad. If calling bad factors of their games bugs and good factors of their games features will keep their reputation clean then that's what they're doing.

No, hard to believe I'm sure but I do actually enjoy Bethesda's games at face value. I like exploring around, discovering new places and doing quests. I'm also aware though that it makes me read like a Bethesda fanboy sadly.

Unlike the fanboys though, I'm fully aware that the games are not that great when you get down to them and they use way to many retcons and asspulls then what should be allowed. I also don't defend them because even though I enjoy them, I know they aren't good games really.

We don't taunt people for what they like though, as long you don't tell us that Bethesda is making perfect RPGs and we are all shit for not liking it.

But, I wasn't really serious to begin with. But I guess, now that I am thinking about it, to a fan of the old games, playing Fallout 4 might be really a cruel punishment.

This is where I'm at right now. I enjoy exploring Fallout 4 - there's a lot of interesting things they put in the game that provide for a more organic experience when you're out investigating different locations.

After the initial shock of all the changes with Fallout 4 I've accepted it for what it is and am enjoying it by playing it like I would play Borderlands. It is actually a perfect Borderlands game, much better than the actual Borderlands, with some VERY LIGHT role-playing dialogue and a reasonably deep crafting/settlement system. It's kind of what I wished Borderlands was from the start. Unfortunately, that also includes the near-total lack of character interaction that is present in Borderlands, which is one of the reasons I dislike both games.

And it's not a role-playing game like I had hoped for. I guess after all the negatives I've brought up about the game, I've decided to just shrug my shoulders and enjoy it for what it is.

And while I criticized a lot of Bethesda's direction with this game, there are things in Fallout 4 which are really interesting, great improvements that provide some entertaining and organic gameplay.

We don't taunt people for what they like though, as long you don't tell us that Bethesda is making perfect RPGs and we are all shit for not liking it.

But, I wasn't really serious to begin with. But I guess, now that I am thinking about it, to a fan of the old games, playing Fallout 4 might be really a cruel punishment.

Well, maybe you personally don't taunt people. I've seen a couple here that do. But nevermind them. I truly doubt that every single last fan of the old Fallouts completely detests Fallout 4 for what it is, and I sincerely hope no one believes that the old fans who did enjoy Fallout 4 aren't "real fans".

This is where I'm at right now. I enjoy exploring Fallout 4 - there's a lot of interesting things they put in the game that provide for a more organic experience when you're out investigating different locations.

After the initial shock of all the changes with Fallout 4 I've accepted it for what it is and am enjoying it by playing it like I would play Borderlands. It is actually a perfect Borderlands game, much better than the actual Borderlands, with some VERY LIGHT role-playing dialogue and a reasonably deep crafting/settlement system. It's kind of what I wished Borderlands was from the start. Unfortunately, that also includes the near-total lack of character interaction that is present in Borderlands, which is one of the reasons I dislike both games.

And it's not a role-playing game like I had hoped for. I guess after all the negatives I've brought up about the game, I've decided to just shrug my shoulders and enjoy it for what it is.

And while I criticized a lot of Bethesda's direction with this game, there are things in Fallout 4 which are really interesting, great improvements that provide some entertaining and organic gameplay.
Yeah I don't really role-play in 4 either, mainly because there's not much to role-play as. I got really invested with my New Vegas character to the point I sometimes create him in other games. My Fallout 4 character however is just... the protagonist of Fallout 4, since there isn't really anything else he can be what with the voice and slight personality traits blocking me from having a clean slate protagonist.

Well, maybe you personally don't taunt people. I've seen a couple here that do. But nevermind them. I truly doubt that every single last fan of the old Fallouts completely detests Fallout 4 for what it is, and I sincerely hope no one believes that the old fans who did enjoy Fallout 4 aren't "real fans".
Sure, But I am talking about NMA in general, we ca not controll what everyone is posting here. But, what everyone can do, is to voice his opinion when he feels he was not treated farily or if he was offended. However, if someone says, Fallout 4 and Bethesda are shit ... and someone takes that as offense, well so be it. You are allowed to say that. Just as how everyone is free to shit all over F1, F2 or Interplay.

Back