Tell me about "your" Fallout game

I wholly enjoyed Mad Max, and I was rushing to reply just that before CT Phillips beat me to it

It's the same thought that hits me when people say they want a Fallout movie. Apart from the vaults and the mutants, these movies pretty much allready exists, and I would not want to see one (mostly because these kinds of games-to-movies always fail, catastrophically)

I'd go to some remote location that has no pressure on delivering "famous monuments and buildings" or integrating the already known factions, and tackle with themes on local, and local only, politics and sensibilities.

I made a half attempt at one point in creating a premise like that, but can't remember it anymore. There was another succesfully opened vault that had used their GECK to build a city around the vault door. Dealing with medicine and science. Conducting human experiments in order to harness the long life of the ghouls, secretly staging diseases they knew how to cure and control in the local settlements in name of commerce and more test subjects. Something goes wrong and a staged virus goes on a rampage, snowball effect, epidemic, shit hits the fan.

The player enters the picture - unknowingly, foreign to the place, having been bound, gagged and blindfolded and set to walk in a random direction to the desert. But does he want to mettle? Does he feel responsible, or intrigued? Maybe he has his own journey to take that doesn't concern anything happening here, or maybe he doesn't give a shit anymore and just walks off.

That and it will probably be incompatible with the Fallout universe, having its own take on the lore, characters, setting, etc.

I once read a proposed script for a Fallout movie back when Interplay wanted to do movies based on their IPs.

One of the major changes was that the great war was not the result of a resource crisis and a war with China over the last major oil supply, but rather it was caused by the guy who ran Vault Tec as he wanted his Vaults to be taken into use.

One of the major changes was that the great war was not the result of a resource crisis and a war with China over the last major oil supply, but rather it was caused by the guy who ran Vault Tec as he wanted his Vaults to be taken into use.
This could kind of work if they paint this as a more extreme version of the Enclave's goals. It is still pretty stupid.

That and it will probably be incompatible with the Fallout universe, having its own take on the lore, characters, setting, etc.

I once read a proposed script for a Fallout movie back when Interplay wanted to do movies based on their IPs.

I'm pretty sure he was the Overseer of Vault 13 as well as the head of Vault Tec. Didn't sound like a great script to be honest!

I think a fallout movie could easily work.

Think of how many amazing characters are in Fallout.

All you need to do is make a VERY ABSURDLY LARGE cast of developed characters played by competent and fitting actors (no...No Ryan Renolds...Since when would a post apocolyptic guy look like THAT!?)

Then the plot could be anything.

Defending a town from mutants.

Being a caravan who has many encounters.

A quest to gather a part for a water purifier.

etc.

Eh, they already did a Fallout movie with Vaults.

It was called Radioactive Dreams.

Two kids leave a bomb shelter and find a bunch of mutants, raiders, and murderous amazons on the quest for the last atomic bomb they plan to use to destroy the last civilized city.

God it was awful....but so much fun!

They need to really release it on DVD.

Six-String Samurai is basically my New Vegas character.

I'm not so sure about adapting Fallout into a movie. If anything, it would work better as a TV series based on the amount of content one would have to adapt. A movie may not condense all of Fallout well and may have incompetent writers who only know how to recycle dull blockbuster cliches (as the Ass Creed movie and every other video game film adaptation shows).

You know, i'm always interested in a Fallout game set in Alcatraz.

It could be something like Batman : Arkham Asylum.

Some friends of mine made a team (they included me in it although I have no idea why since I am not really doing anything there) and are making a big landmass mod for FNV (San Francisco), but unfortunately will be skipping Alcatraz because it would take resources, work and time out of the rest of San Fran.

Some friends of mine made a team (they included me in it although I have no idea why since I am not really doing anything there) and are making a big landmass mod for FNV (San Francisco), but unfortunately will be skipping Alcatraz because it would take resources, work and time out of the rest of San Fran.

Damn, Alcatraz would've been a pretty interesting place to explore. But I understand why they wouldn't include Alcatraz.

This brings up a question though, what exactly happened to Alcatraz in Fallout? Like is it pretty much isolated from the rest of San Francisco or New California?

I personally would like to see a Fallout set in Louisiana, Georgia, or somewhere in the Deep South. As weird as it sounds I did actually enjoy Point Lookout, and I feel like a whole game based on that atmosphere would work if it got some serious love, care, and talented developer attention. A Fallout set around (the cratered remains of) New York City would also be, to me, an interesting concept.

I personally would like to see a Fallout set in Louisiana, Georgia, or somewhere in the Deep South. As weird as it sounds I did actually enjoy Point Lookout, and I feel like a whole game based on that atmosphere would work if it got some serious love, care, and talented developer attention. A Fallout set around (the cratered remains of) New York City would also be, to me, an interesting concept.

I would like to see NY in Fallout, since, well, I know NY, but the problem of course is that it should be absolutely shredded. I did float around a "Fallout: Burned Apple" thing with my friends, but it needs to really, really, really carry the torch to work well than another f3 or f4.

I would like to see NY in Fallout, since, well, I know NY, but the problem of course is that it should be absolutely shredded. I did float around a "Fallout: Burned Apple" thing with my friends, but it needs to really, really, really carry the torch to work well than another f3 or f4.

A city as big as NY wouldn't be completely wiped out though, I mean, realistically speaking. I guess it's more "romantic" to imagine a city levelled from end to end, but a city that size could function a bit like San Fran or LA in the old games, in that you have obliterated landscapes of urban ruin, for then to enter large intact areas. Sort of like FO4, only not-stupid, not some dumb football stadium, but actual city blocks of bustling activity

I think the whole "everything is a ruin" thing is a bit done to death, as well as not working "as intended" so to speak, if there is nothing to contrast it against.
Vault City is a good example, as it is fresh, modern, green, fertile, against the ruined backdrops. Broken Hills also feature built up and restored urbanity
On that matter, I'd like to see a return to NCR core lands, except it would be more beating the NCR horse I guess.

In the end, it's the same old problem with continuing the Fallout chronology: Fallout is supposedly a game where you wade around in nuclear ruins, but how long would ruins dominate the land, since humanity has been rapidly recovering since FO1?

Last edited:
NY in a post-apocayptic has already been made:
pota-statue-of-liberty-2.jpeg

Now seriously, I would like a Fallout game anywhere as long as it was an old school RPG with good writing and faithful to the lore... Or at least a good game engine.

A city as big as NY wouldn't be completely wiped out though, I mean, realistically speaking. I guess it's more "romantic" to imagine a city levelled from end to end, but a city that size could function a bit like San Fran or LA in the old games, in that you have obliterated landscapes of urban ruin, for then to enter large intact areas. Sort of like FO4, only not-stupid, not some dumb football stadium, but actual city blocks of bustling activity

I think the whole "everything is a ruin" thing is a bit done to death, as well as not working "as intended" so to speak, if there is nothing to contrast it against.
Vault City is a good example, as it is fresh, modern, green, fertile, against the ruined backdrops. Broken Hills also feature built up and restored urbanity
On that matter, I'd like to see a return to NCR core lands, except it would be more beating the NCR horse I guess.

In the end, it's the same old problem with continuing the Fallout chronology: Fallout is supposedly a game where you wade around in nuclear ruins, but how long would ruins dominate the land, since humanity has been rapidly recovering since FO1?

I'm not so sure. New York City was still the country's largest in the Fallout world, probably even more important than D.C. in terms of population, economy, industry and such. It would also be a very easy target, given that it's a large urban landscape packed very tightly together. For whatever it's worth, apparently/supposedly NYC was at the top of the list of priority targets for Soviet missile strikes during our own Cold War, so I don't think it's too unlikely to say that the Chinese would send the majority of their westward-bound missiles towards NYC, since wiping it out would accomplish a lot (if they survived retaliation), such as a massive hit to population and industry, as well as crippling any future trade potential. I dunno how many nukes that the West Coast's big cities got, but I'd imagine the East Coast would get more.

You could be exploring the surroundings of what was once NYC. People are doing alright out there, but the place that supposedly holds tons of loot and hundreds of civilian fallout shelters fully stocked for the apocalypse lies in the ruins and underground catacombs of New York City, along with some of the most terrifying mutants in the post-apocalyptic US. Gigantic radioactive sewer gators, anyone? New York would be like its own frontier, not just having other interesting sights outside the city, but with the city itself being a complete hellscape full of great opportunity and wealth, as well as extremely lethal danger.

I'm not so sure. New York City was still the country's largest in the Fallout world, probably even more important than D.C. in terms of population, economy, industry and such. It would also be a very easy target, given that it's a large urban landscape packed very tightly together. For whatever it's worth, apparently/supposedly NYC was at the top of the list of priority targets for Soviet missile strikes during our own Cold War, so I don't think it's too unlikely to say that the Chinese would send the majority of their westward-bound missiles towards NYC, since wiping it out would accomplish a lot (if they survived retaliation), such as a massive hit to population and industry, as well as crippling any future trade potential. I dunno how many nukes that the West Coast's big cities got, but I'd imagine the East Coast would get more.

I aggree NYC would be a primary target, I just think a city of that size would have enough urban landscape "to spare". Sure, an enemy could go out of their way to thoroughly carpet-nuke, and with very large warheads they wouldn't need that many bombs either.
Logistically though, it wouldn't really be necesary to carpet-nuke a city like that, drop a couple, watch even as "little" as a fifth be pulverized, and the city will still shut right down, radiation spreads, people evacuate, the city is no longer producing for war efforts.

I guess I'm just looking for an oportunity to leave a lot of built up area intact, where in a smaller city (like DC) this would not even be an option, since a single hit could wipe out everything

The problem is what players expect. (Images attached)

In Fallout 1, LA, at least what people think of LA, was gone. San Fran was the same in 2. There was no Hollywood to visit, to have a whacky questline about, there was no sterotypical San Fran beyond the Asian community and that was explained well, and the golden gate bridge makes an appearance only with the Hubologists. Tactics, as well, didn't have us fighting under the Gateway Arch. We expected those things to be gone, though maybe back in the early days a few might had complained about it.

In Fallout 3, however, DC is there. It looks like it was bombed with chemical weapons, not nukes. (And no, Neutron Bombs don't leave pretty holes, they just make smaller holes, the damage should be greater if it was just Neutron Bombs). The Washington Monument is there. The Capitol is there. The Mall. The Smithsonian. The *Pentagon*, the military command center of the USA, was STILL there. The White House was gone, but only as a small crater that apparently was the epicenter of a nuke...and right across from it were apartment buildings where the BoS were. In Fallout NV, Vegas is there, and it's handwaved that it was because House installed anti-missile lasers on his tower (gee, wouldn't that had been useful for THE REST OF THE UNITED STATES), and in Fallout 4, Boston is somehow there, and there's one nuke impact far off to the southwest, the glowing sea. Bunker Hill is there. Diamond Park. The MIT. Etc.

Any game made in NYC, made either by Obsidian OR Bethesda, *will* have the Statue of Liberty, the Brooklyn Bridge, Ellis Island, the Empire State Building, Yankee Stadium, Central Park, Broadway, etc, as a given. At most, there might be a big hole in some 'unimportant' area like Brooklyn or Noho, but not to close to Chinatown or the Manhattan Bridge!

The vast majority of the fanbase doesn't want to play in the ruins of a nuclear blast, they want to play a post-apoc America game with a nuclear blast site far away as a tough arena to challenge themselves, as to not damage what they know as familiar. Realistically, Manhattan will be nothing but rubble, with most of the buildings broken away, and since we're dealing with thousands of nukes on each side, we could see even impacts along the main highway out of the Bronx, Floyd Bennet Field, LaGuardia, JFK, Newark Airport, and DEFINITELY Port Elizabeth, with one general nuke in the middle of each borough to wipe out the civilian populace. This is what nukes *do*. They're not bunker busters, they're not human-be-gone, they're the outburst of controlled nuclear fission or fusion to destroy cities. But the masses don't want that. Thus my reservations about NYC, even though I would love it, and hell, I don't want to play with a bare manhattan in the background either. But to pull it off would take incredible skill, because we will ask, 'Why wasn't New York nuked? Why isn't it a flat expanse of fused stone?' Lasers, again? A Miscalucation? A lot of Anti-Missile Missiles? A daring sacrifice by the mayor?

NYC, logically, will be something like this:
3uBjmg6.jpg

But we'll probably get this, but with more landmarks intact:
UMeOjlg.jpg

One time, when there was a Fallout thread on 4chan's /k/, I posted an idea for a Fallout game and screen-capped it to remember. If anyone is interested, I could dig out my hard drive and post it.

You could be exploring the surroundings of what was once NYC. People are doing alright out there, but the place that supposedly holds tons of loot and hundreds of civilian fallout shelters fully stocked for the apocalypse lies in the ruins and underground catacombs of New York City, along with some of the most terrifying mutants in the post-apocalyptic US. Gigantic radioactive sewer gators, anyone? New York would be like its own frontier, not just having other interesting sights outside the city, but with the city itself being a complete hellscape full of great opportunity and wealth, as well as extremely lethal danger.

I had proposed a fallout based in NJ. Why Jersey you ask? Well its has the palasades cliffs which would protect bergen county and parts of northern state protected somewhat. The state is bifurcated with several long highways between NYC and Philly and the rest of the state. It has a somewhat infamous mutant infested shoreline as it is and Atlantic City coupled with an oil refinery and big Pharma to boot. So many possibilities and locations both military and historical as well. Parts of NYC and westchester county would be locations viable as well. Oh we have our own cryptozoological Jersey Devil which would undoubtly be encorported into some varied mutant creature.

Last edited:
Back