The dev team thinks of everything

Magnus

Water Chip? Been There, Done That
Modder
Today I learned that you can give Codsworth a hat, and make him put it on. I gave him a bowler hat, and now he reminds me of Alex from Clockwork Orange as he slices raiders in half for me while commenting on their terrible housekeeping. (My character is a pacifist, but Codsworth is not.)

But anyhow, I found a little gem the developers have included: very rarely when I pick up a Junk item, he will now say "If that proves to be useful, I will eat my hat!"

Credit also goes to them for actually making it possible to pay for entering the bowling alley in the General Atomics Galleria, if you have 5000 Pre-War Money.

If you have an alcohol effect active while talking to someone, your character will sound drunk when you skip their lines, instead of just saying "uh-huh".

And I suppose I should mention that Preston will be mighty impressed if you show up already wearing Power Armor in Concord, though it would have been really weird otherwise.

Anyone else got any examples?

I guess you can get to 111k lines pretty easily if you record a different one for every circumstance (drunk, wearing a hat, etc.). I would have rather had better dialogue though.

Can you imagine what number of lines Bethesda's going to brag about for the Elder Scrolls VI? They'll have a voiced protagonist, naturally, but they'll have to record a male and female vocal for each species the protagonist can be.

Those are really nice little touch of detail to the game. Honestly I thought more game should've more done this before. It's a very good way to subtly show the detail of the character and the world.

The problem is that attention to details is not enough. If you want a good quality end product, you first focus on the big picture and then use the remaining time to polish details. The other way around you get something broken with little strokes of niceties that make you want the whole game to be like that.

Can you imagine what number of lines Bethesda's going to brag about for the Elder Scrolls VI? They'll have a voiced protagonist, naturally, but they'll have to record a male and female vocal for each species the protagonist can be.
They will probably claim that they added over 250k lines of voiced-dialogue.

The problem is that attention to details is not enough. If you want a good quality end product, you first focus on the big picture and then use the remaining time to polish details. The other way around you get something broken with little strokes of niceties that make you want the whole game to be like that.
Yes, it is in my opinion that little isn't enough to make a work considered as good. I wish those little details have more substance behind it, not just small necessities for reactivity between the player and the world. Nice detail is like a cherry and cream on a cake. It's a nice thing to have but ultimately it needs a good cake to be useful.

Today I learned that you can give Codsworth a hat, and make him put it on. I gave him a bowler hat, and now he reminds me of Alex from Clockwork Orange as he slices raiders in half for me while commenting on their terrible housekeeping.
I assume that you know that Alex from Clockwork Orange, was played by the same actor that voiced President Eden in FO3.
(And if you didn't know... well... He was. ;) )

Today I learned that you can give Codsworth a hat, and make him put it on. I gave him a bowler hat, and now he reminds me of Alex from Clockwork Orange as he slices raiders in half for me while commenting on their terrible housekeeping.
I assume that you know that Alex from Clockwork Orange, was played by the same actor that voiced President Eden in FO3.
Wait what? O_O

Holy shit no I did not. THAT'S why he's so creepy. Did they make Eden look like him as well?

EDIT: Today I learned that Eden is an AI. I guess that makes sense. But they did use an image of him on a poster in game. He's still got that Kubrick stare.

http://badlyproductions.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/John-Henry-Eden.jpg

Last edited:
Today I learned that you can give Codsworth a hat, and make him put it on.

How did you do it? I gave him one and he doesn't put it on.

But anyhow, I found a little gem the developers have included: very rarely when I pick up a Junk item, he will now say "If that proves to be useful, I will eat my hat!"

He says that even if he doesn't wear it. :\

Today I learned that Eden is an AI. I guess that makes sense. But they did use an image of him on a poster in game. He's still got that Kubrick stare.

http://badlyproductions.com/wp-conte...Henry-Eden.jpg

Wait, where did that poster appear in game? I don't remember ever seeing it.

EDIT: Today I learned that Eden is an AI. I guess that makes sense. But they did use an image of him on a poster in game. He's still got that Kubrick stare.
Wat? That was literally the twist​ in Fallout 3

I never played F3 past the point where you get to Rivet City. Hated the game. Never found my dad, either.

You press T while selecting the hat in Codsworth's inventory to make him equip it. You can also give Dogmeat a bandana and welding goggles.

Just like that, regardless of what equipment the PC is wearing and the weapon they holstered?

Yes, pretty much. Now it's not only Minigun that dissapears but literaly every weapon, from switchblade to Hunting rifle. It also applies to NPCs, so I had Preston Gravy and some other people "patrol" the perimeter with no weapon at all.

Most retarded design choice ever if you ask me.

Lol you have too much faith. Elder Scrolls VI will limit you to ONE race just like Dragon Age 2 did.

Back