The NMA Podcast General Thread

What about this: do you think another isometric fallout game will ever be released and would you want that to happen?

Well, Chris doubts if the series will ever leave Bethesda and they aren't interested in isometric games. So by proxy, we already know the answer.

Even through I doubt if he bad answered the second question.

So, any suggestions for the next podcast? I'd say a New Year's podcast sometime early in January would be nice.
Since 2017 is kind of a big year for Fallout (20th Anniversary) we could use the opportunity to talk about things to come: Fallout PnP, community resurrection, that kind of stuff.
For future podcasts: We could do them as part of the retrospective, so a full podcast dedicated to a single game, starting with Fallout 1 and not ignoring POS :D

Yeah I wouldn't mind a retrospective of the entire series.
I can finally talk about POS that way.

So, any suggestions for the next podcast? I'd say a New Year's podcast sometime early in January would be nice.
Since 2017 is kind of a big year for Fallout (20th Anniversary) we could use the opportunity to talk about things to come: Fallout PnP, community resurrection, that kind of stuff.
For future podcasts: We could do them as part of the retrospective, so a full podcast dedicated to a single game, starting with Fallout 1 and not ignoring POS :D

Just as well, let's see if we can get Tim Cain onto the podcast. (I'd be up for a New Year podcast before then, should I have a day to spare on the weekends.)

I wouldn't mind getting into the realms of other games.
Like maybe have one PodCast on Final Fantasy seeing as it's the 30th FF anniversary in 2017 as well (maybe discuss our favourite Final Fantasy games).
Also, talk about older games like Planescape or maybe even Wasteland.

I would like to do a Troika retrospective seeing as they only made three games.

Alright, this thing is kinda dying, so we need to shake it up.
First, I propose that we make this a regular thing again, once a month or so. Shorter, but more frequent.
We need a plan for special episodes, i.e. interviews. There I think we should aim to get as many of the old dev team in as possible. We already had Chris Avellone, but if we could get the likes of Tim Cain, JE Sawyer or Brian Fargo in for an episode that would be magic. As we are one of the oldest existing Fallout communities and this being the 20th anniversary of Fallout, there might actually be some incentive for them to agree. Does anyone have an idea how to contact these folks? Brian Fargo I think we could contact through Brother None. JE Sawyer is on Twitter, so maybe that works. What about Tim Cain?

For now, I'd say we get started on the Retrospective Podcast series, starting with Fallout 1.
I guess we keep using Teamspeak for these podcasts, they worked reasonably well the past times. Recording is a bit awkward, but I think it works.
New thread for the next podcast:
Retrospective Podcast Episode 1: Fallout 1.

I know Brian Fargo has Twitter.
Maybe for Tim Cain, we could ask Josh Sawyer since they both work at Obsidian.

Yeah, that sounds good.
Also, how about (for a later interview when we get to the Fallout 3 retrospective) we also try to get a Bethesda dev on board? We have a terrible reputation and I think it's fair to say that Fallout 3 and 4 are not exactly favourites around here for most, but they are part of it all now. So wouldn't it be interesting to have Emil Pagliarulo or even Todd Howard join in? I mean, I have no idea how to do that, because, again, our reputation probably precedes us and I just don't see Todd Howard agreeing to join in on a goddamn NMA podcast, but I think it's worth a shot.

I think it comes down to how we ask them.
If we just say "Hey look, we're with NMA and we want to interview you guys for the 20th anniversary of Fallout" and stuff, they would probably decline.
I think they would be more willing if we allow them to have their say. I don't have any hard feelings against either Todd or Emil, in fact, I would be very interested in hearing what they have to say.

I think it comes down to how we ask them.
If we just say "Hey look, we're with NMA and we want to interview you guys for the 20th anniversary of Fallout" and stuff, they would probably decline.
I think they would be more willing if we allow them to have their say. I don't have any hard feelings against either Todd or Emil, in fact, I would be very interested in hearing what they have to say.
Indeed, I think we can be very diplomatic about the whole thing. During the interview with Chris Avellone everyone but the interviewer and interviewee shut up, I think we should keep it that way to keep it all ordered.

Yeah, no pesky interruptions or nothing, just a round of questions at the end and responding if they ask (Chris did ask you a few things). It also depends on how tight their schedule is.

Maybe "For the 20th anniversary of Fallout, we (NMA) are interested in having you in our (weekly/monthly/eonly) podcast"? Dunno much about formalities in english

Yeah, it's definitely worth a try. Dunno how approachable all these folks are, so far we only know that Chris Avellone is certainly happy to mingle with the fans :D

Yeah, it's definitely worth a try. Dunno how approachable all these folks are, so far we only know that Chris Avellone is certainly happy to mingle with the fans :D

Tim Cain's rather approachable, though I'm not sure how flexible his schedule is. Fargo's probably the same. Chris? Why not? He said he'd love to come back on.

Emil's probably the better bet if we're talking Fallout devs from Bethesda. He's worked on Thief, so he's been in the industry for a while, and he's not a salesman like Todd or Pete.

If we do get an interview with Emil, I think we'll need to be extremely fair to the guy. We may not like his writing, but other people do and I wouldn't say he is necessarly a bad writer, he just has ideas that don't really go anywhere.

So yeah, not jabs or anything, and if he asks us anything, the best thing to do would be to give constrictive critism, not 'this sucks'.

I trust you guys won't do that, but a couple of NMAers are rather... interesting.

Guys, just remembered something. The interview we had with Chris? I never rerecorded my botched lines.

Before this next cast on the 6th, should I do that and reupload the video with the new audio?

So don't forget folks, today (6th of May) is the next podcast, to be held on the Discord channel at 1 PM CST / 8 PM CET! (is that correct, @AgentBJ09?)
Everyone is free to join in, and if you don't want to talk you can also just hang around in the channel and listen or contribute via chat. The topic will be all Fallout 1, its origins, history, our experiences with it and so on.

Back