The Outer Worlds - Early Impressions

Really, the biggest complaint so far from people is it's only 20 hours long. Which is a pretty good complaint, IMHO.
Not every game needs to be a epic, 200 hour long game where you just run around and kill stuff for shits and giggles. Sometimes its good for the game to be more contained and focus more on the world, story, lore and world building. Plus, from what I heard, The Outer Worlds is going to be a franchise. Microsoft is quite pleased with the games success and praise and now that Obsidian is going to have the funding of a AAA gaming studio they are going to have more funding to put into The Outer Worlds sequels. Expect The Outer Worlds 2 to be grander in scale.

New Vegas wasn't very long either and don't remember many complaints about its length. Plus i usually take complaints of length with a grain of salt because a lot of those people don't specify how much content they did.

If anything, i'm starting to get tired of RPGs that start to reach plus 100 hours. I don't want it to be too short but i also don't want it to drag to the point i want the game to just end.

New Vegas wasn't very long either and don't remember many complaints about its length. Plus i usually take complaints of length with a grain of salt because a lot of those people don't specify how much content they did.

If anything, i'm starting to get tired of RPGs that start to reach plus 100 hours. I don't want it to be too short but i also don't want it to drag to the point i want the game to just end.

Lol. How much content can you take with that length? Am I right?

I also tire of 100 hour time wasters but 40-60 is about right.

Anyone here want to ask the mods to make an Outer Worlds forum?
If you mean here it doesn't need it's own forum. Every little thing doesn't need a sub-forum. We need more quality threads, not more shitty forums. Half the ones we got need to die as it is.

If you mean here it doesn't need it's own forum. Every little thing doesn't need a sub-forum. We need more quality threads, not more shitty forums. Half the ones we got need to die as it is.

Yes, I think this one did because it's an awesome game with lots of Fallout similarities by Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky.

It'd be a good source of discussion.

Yes, I think this one did because it's an awesome game with lots of Fallout similarities by Tim Cain and Leonard Boyarsky.

It'd be a good source of discussion.

Sure, look at the Wasteland forum. It's quite dead. My opinion is more sub-forums doesn't create more conversation on the subject. In fact considering The Outer Worlds ties to the Fallout series are tenuous at best, why not UnderRail while we are at it? It deserves a sub-forum more than this.

In case you don't know, I think it's a shit idea. Ask @Hassknecht.

Sure, look at the Wasteland forum. It's quite dead. My opinion is more sub-forums doesn't create more conversation on the subject. In fact considering The Outer Worlds ties to the Fallout series are tenuous at best, why not UnderRail while we are at it? It deserves a sub-forum more than this.

In case you don't know, I think it's a shit idea. Ask @Hassknecht.

Yeah, I think your objections are shit. It's called disagreeing.

Yeah, I think your objections are shit. It's called disagreeing.

You seem to have taken offense by me calling it pointless due to most of the sub-forums being inactive already. How many conversations do you need about this game that has no mod support and can be beaten in 20 hours?

Most of the threads will be made by you I'm sure. One will be a review, one will be about things he would change if he made the game, one will be about future Outer Worlds games in the series, one will be about...

Pretty soon it will be like Codex with forums for every developer with sub-forums for every single game.

:wiggle:

It's a pretty good game but it's no New Vegas though so you'll have to scale your expectations back a notch, expect something more in line with Fallout 2. Discussion on the game over at /v/ is a shitshow, haven't seen this much shilling for Fallout 4 and Mass Effect Andromeda in a while.

Really, the biggest complaint so far from people is it's only 20 hours long. Which is a pretty good complaint, IMHO.

I highly doubt it's that short if a player does all the side quests and tasks. I'm maybe halfway through Monarch, and I've easily hit the 20 hour mark already. Besides, this game isn't a one and done. It's meant for playthroughs. Your build, choices, and endings will vary. I can see runs after the initial one being quicker due to skipping content, but not for the initial run.

As for length, one of my favorite RPGs was Parasite Eve, which clocks in at around 9 hours long. I couldn't change the story, but the game was so weird and fun, that I had to play it a few more times.

Well, well, well. Looks like someone might be jumping ship:

I do have to say that I am enjoying seeing gamers realize what a actual RPG is and not the glorified sandboxes that Bethesda calls RPG's. With 2020 looking to be the year of the RPG's with titles like Cyberpunk 2077, Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines 2, Baldur's Gate 3 and Wasteland 3 (many of these games being lead by both industry veterans and veterans of the RPG genre) I have a feeling people will not be looking at Bethesda games and their writing with rose tinted glasses.

I do have to say that I am enjoying seeing gamers realize what a actual RPG is and not the glorified sandboxes that Bethesda calls RPG's. With 2020 looking to be the year of the RPG's with titles like Cyberpunk 2077, Vampire The Masquerade Bloodlines 2, Baldur's Gate 3 and Wasteland 3 (many of these games being lead by both industry veterans and veterans of the RPG genre) I have a feeling people will not be looking at Bethesda games and their writing with rose tinted glasses.

It's a tough time for Bethesda. They need a bona fide hit, but it seems like TES VI and Starfield are far from ready. It's been a while since they released anything besides the hilarious dumpster fire that is Fallout 76, but with that much competition it's gonna be tough for them to get a foot down in 2020. If Fallout 76 really used up resources from their main Maryland studio, it's even worse. They might be forced to release TES VI in a state even more broken and unfinished than they usually would, and with the heavy RPG competition going on it'd be a death sentence.

I have since come to the conclusion that Fallout 76 was the same flaws as Fallout 4. They de-emphasized story for combat and then assumed that people really just wanted the combat (why?) and atmosphere (no). So all the flaws of F4 were ramped up to the 11.

In any case, I gave them a lot of slack and genuinely love Skyrim and Fallout 3 but Bethesda squandered all of the considerable good will I had for them.

My suspicion is also they planned to do the same for Elder Scrolls and Starfield, which means that they probably have a bunch of games exactly the same as ones people hated.

To be fair to Matty, his videos on Fallout 76 whose thumbnails I glimpsed seemed to indicate that he has already started to lose those rose-tinted glasses that made him such a fanboy of Bethesda for a while. Now that gaming audiences have a better benchmark for these kinds of ARPGs, I think there will be more critique and less bias against Bethesda's future installments, especially if they double-down on their use of their Gamebryo - I mean - Creation Engine.

So far, still enjoying myself though I feel that I made a mistake playing Disco Elysium before trying out The Outer Worlds. I keep hoping to interact with the companions as much as I did with Lieutenant Kim. I'm still waiting for some of their quests to pop up though only Parvati and Vicar Max are active for me.

I just finished Vicar Max's questline and it's religiously nonsensical but I appreciated them trying to do something with the taboo of faith. It also is interesting to see him change now that he's managed to overcome his enormous ego and become a better person.

As someone said I usually take these measurements with a grain of salt. Even if it is 20 hours long if they've done the same job they did with New Vegas it will have a lot of replayability (I'm already thinking about how I want my next run through to be). It will also age extremely well so it's more likely to be something you'll want to play again after a few years.

It's a tough time for Bethesda. They need a bona fide hit, but it seems like TES VI and Starfield are far from ready. It's been a while since they released anything besides the hilarious dumpster fire that is Fallout 76

They released Wolfenstein: Youngblood and Rage 2 (though technically only as producers it bears the Bethesda brand) and those received high praise. Personally I associate Bethesda with Fallout/TES specifically but they have a much wider brand audience now.

If Fallout 76 really used up resources from their main Maryland studio, it's even worse.

Bethesda and Zenimax have extremely deep pockets. I'd be surprised if Fallout 76 was anymore than a moderate line item for them. Fallout 76 was also mostly developed in their smaller studios in Texas, I don't think they've poured everything they had into it.

As someone said I usually take these measurements with a grain of salt. Even if it is 20 hours long if they've done the same job they did with New Vegas it will have a lot of replayability (I'm already thinking about how I want my next run through to be). It will also age extremely well so it's more likely to be something you'll want to play again after a few years.

They released Wolfenstein: Youngblood and Rage 2 (though technically only as producers it bears the Bethesda brand) and those received high praise. Personally I associate Bethesda with Fallout/TES specifically but they have a much wider brand audience now.

Bethesda and Zenimax have extremely deep pockets. I'd be surprised if Fallout 76 was anymore than a moderate line item for them. Fallout 76 was also mostly developed in their smaller studios in Texas, I don't think they've poured everything they had into it.
I was talking about Bethesda the dev. They're doing good work as a publisher (although Youngblood received a more than fair share of criticism, and I barely heard anything of Rage 2), but I think the dev studio will also get their asses kicked if they dick around too much.
There have been rumours that manpower from Maryland was actually used to fix the mess that was Fallout 76, but I kinda doubt it. If it was true, though, the developer Bethesda really might be in a tricky situation. No publisher will tolerate heavy losses for too long, not to mention the reputational damage, which is especially problematic when the publisher has the same name as the developer.

Back