Your favorite parts of Fallout 4?

Lol no. Why do people keep saying this?

The settlement bullshit would have been fine in anything but fallout.

The idea isn't bad on paper, but it has to be one of the following in order to work.

- You make a spin-off focused entirelly on this and you are making it right.

- You have enough skills, time and ressources to make a good Fallout game in the first place, then, if the main game is polished enough, you add it as some flavor content, on top on your already existing good game.

- Just focus on making the game complete, and let the modders make that kind of flavor content, if they wish to.

Here, they totally screwed the main game in the first place, focused too many ressources on this feature, while not even making it right.

Mostly because of how fluid it feels.
I should probably explain why I prefer the *feel* of combat in F4 over NV.

The biggest problem NV faces in Combat is how jagged it felt. It was slow and rough around the edges. I want to emphasis that this is how the game *felt*.

For Fallout 4, it improved this with speed and response. The overall presentation of Fallout 4 made combat a bit more approachable.

Note, I say approachable and not fun.

Besides that *feel*, F4's combat is inferior mostly due to enemy types. And this comes in the form of bullet sponging enemies and those mini bosses that are just more bullet sponging than anything else.

But going up against a small group of raiders in F4 feels better than going up against the same kind of raiders in NV, yet in NV, the enemies are more realistically stated to the World while in F4, they just seem kind of random.
Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah but it also
  • Removed Dt/Dr
  • Removed different ammo types
  • Has only two unarmed weapons
  • 10 different energy weapons
  • 4 melee weapons
  • Everything is bullet sponges
  • ENEMY MUTATED
The combat is objectively worse mmechanically speaking. Better animations doesn't make up for all those downgrades.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah but it also
  • Removed Dt/Dr
  • Removed different ammo types
  • Has only two unarmed weapons
  • 10 different energy weapons
  • 4 melee weapons
  • Everything is bullet sponges
  • ENEMY MUTATED
The combat is objectively worse mmechanically speaking. Better animations doesn't make up for all those downgrades.

That's why I said it feels better, and more natural. For most people, that's the main thing which matters, it's only when you look deep into it that you find it to be incredibly shallow.

That's why I said it feels better, and more natural. For most people, that's the main thing which matters, it's only when you look deep into it that you find it to be incredibly shallow.
So we agree that it's not an improvement but a massive downgrade in every way apart from shiny new animations?

So we agree that it's not an improvement but a massive downgrade in every way apart from shiny new animations?

I'll go with a cop out and say it's different.
It's not really an improvement due to depth, but its not really a downgrade due to how approachable it is.

It does the job and it does it... well.
Mechanics outside of the player combat however are just inane, like the legendary enemies whom are a missed opportunity for something actually good.

Yes I think we can all agree massive bullet sponges and enemy mutated felt super natural.
Fucking doom 1&2s combat feels more natural tbh.

Again, it's mostly animation.
I said before that stuff like bullet sponges and legendary enemies bring it down.

Yes I think we can all agree massive bullet sponges and enemy mutated felt super natural.
Fucking doom 1&2s combat feels more natural tbh.
The movement and such feels more natural. Problem is that almost all Gamebryo games are at a terrible place in the Uncanny Valley. The graphical fidelity is high enough to not require too much abstraction anymore, but not really high enough to be actually good. And the animations are absolutely terrible. Combine that with the kinda spongy controls all Gamebryo games seem to have and you get a really terrible feeling shooting experience. Bethesda's next iteration, the Creation Engine, works a lot better in those regards. The graphical fidelity in their games still isn't exactly high (remember that Crysis came out a year after Oblivion, and still looks better than Fallout 4), but Skyrim and Fallout 4 do look a lot better thanks to better animations and hit connections, at least for the player character. The controls feel more crisp and direct, thanks to that. New Vegas is vastly superior to Fallout 4 in a mechanical sense, but it does suffer from the presentation. So in some sense Fallout 4 feels better and more natural than New Vegas, albeit in a very superficial sense. As soon as you get into the actual meat of the game, Fallout 4 just sucks and is incredibly simplistic.

I never really thought of Fallout 3-NV's combat being especially bad, its not as fluid as most FPS, but I don't feel that it has to.

Too many games nowadays are a bit 'too smooth' IMO, with all the stupid parkour and shit, absurd movement speed, etc. (Not that I don't like absurd movement speed, Doom 1-2 was the shit)

4 is certainly smoother, and I'll admit...Seems to play a lot nicer.

But all of that progress is ruined because armour doesn't exist, and all enemy's are on roids.

I guess I'm used to a lot of really old games, Homeworld, Doom, Halflife 1, etc, all which are very...Ugly...

But beautiful in their own way.

Its interesting that for being not much more than a giant pile of sand, the area of New Vegas has some nice spots to see.

Maybe the somewhat recent memory of Fallout 4 being pretty damn terrible makes the nostalgia goggles extra rosey, but New Vegas really did so many things properly. Technical limitations of Gamebryo and short development time aside, it's as good a 3D Fallout game as it gets. If this had came out as Fallout 3 instead of the actual Fallout 3, I think I would have been happy. Especially if it had had the development time and polish of the actual Fallout 3.
Ok, Fallout 3 was an unpolished turd, but you get what I mean. Fewer bugs, less cut content.

FoNV was a billion times more stable than Fo3.
You couldn't play more than five minutes of Fo3 without a crash to desktop and some quest step were outright impossible to go through without console commands as it systematicall crashed when you tried to reach some quest locations.
FoNV only occasionnally crashed while loading the game. Once you had loaded it, you could play the game for hours and be safe.

Maa'm, this is a dark alley, and you're alone wearing a miniskirt.
Holy fuck, the reply to "I liked Cabot House" somehow sounds one hundred times cringier than the comment itself.

You are reaching levels of cringe that shouldn't even be possible Zeno

Last edited:
FoNV was a billion times more stable than Fo3.
You couldn't play more than five minutes of Fo3 without a crash to desktop and some quest step were outright impossible to go through without console commands as it systematicall crashed when you tried to reach some quest locations.
FoNV only occasionnally crashed while loading the game. Once you had loaded it, you could play the game for hours and be safe.
True, it was more stable than Fallout 3 for me as well. Although in my most recent playthrough it was pretty crashy. Might have to try a fresh install, though... Still, New Vegas got off to a very buggy start and had a lot of cut content. Had it had the development time of Fallout 3, it might have been a lot smoother. Fallout 3 didn't have that much cut content, as far as I know, Bethesda managed to suck even without time limits...

Holy fuck, the reply to "I liked Cabot House" sometimes sounds one hundred times cringier than the comment itself.

You are reaching levels of cringe that shouldn't even be possible Zeno

Well thank you for defending me. At last. I do appreciate it.

And what I mean by Cabot House was not the "City under the Mojave" bit. I took this as Jack Cabot talking out his ass, because he would have been able to find it well before the end of the world otherwise.

But no, these aren't aliens in the usual Fallout sense. These are Lovecraft aliens. And the thing is....I'm comfortable with it. There's also been pseudoscientific magic in Fallout. Yes, psychic powers are magic. Also, unlike EVERYTHING ELSE in this game, Bethesda's "writers" actually CARED about this one. They put in effort. Not a lot, because this was so good it should have had more quest lines in it, but enough that effort was taken and it shows.

I was more upset about the rockets on the Constitution, that's just dumb any way you slice it. Unlike the zaniness of Fallout 2 there's no more profound and realistic underpinning of this quest. I thought I'd LOATHE Old World Blues, but the justification of that madhouse was really damn good. There is no explanation AT ALL of the Constitution. Bethesda does not do sci-fi well at all. But they do Lovecraft passably well, it's a strength. It's what made Point Lookout great. I felt this game should have embraced more thoroughly.

Beth cut a lot of generic *content* because their map was initially too big.
They didn't cut enough...

Beth cut a lot of generic *content* because their map was initially too big.
They didn't cut enough...

My God, if they cut out anything more, there'd be nothing left. Unless you're talking even more dungeons to loot. Goddamn I hate dungeon crawls. When they make up the bulk of your game. Fallout had three dungeon crawls all justified and that felt right. Even Fallout 2 had too many dungeons at eleven, although only the rat caves and the temple of trails irk me to no end.

At least in Skyrim, I could ignore the dungeon crawling in favor of smithing. Very cheesy, but WAY better than endless dungeon crawling.

I mean generic content, like yet another metro full of ghouls, yet another lake full of mirelurks, yet another ruin for of super-mutants etc...

I doubt they cut actual relevant content. It would have required them to make that content in the first place.

Back