The NMA Podcast General Thread

Now, old 2D, on the other hand, can age very poorly.
I have to say that games like Fallout 1/2 age well compared to old 3D games like Deus Ex. The amount of polygons for example on the arms on NPCs look weird and aged due to low polygons that they had to work with then you take a game like say Fallout 1 which has the advantage of being isometric showing only specific details instead of say a full view all around a building up close. Details you can't see like a Fallout 3D game are displayed in detailed text to help enhance scenes to make up for it. Art has a factor in it too but the point is in my opinion that 2D games usually end up aging better than 3D games and 2D sprites don't have to worry about things like polygon count.

I have to say that games like Fallout 1/2 age well compared to old 3D games like Deus Ex. The amount of polygons for example on the arms on NPCs look weird and aged due to low polygons that they had to work with then you take a game like say Fallout 1 which has the advantage of being isometric showing only specific details instead of say a full view all around a building up close. Details you can't see like a Fallout 3D game are displayed in detailed text to help enhance scenes to make up for it. Art has a factor in it too but the point is in my opinion that 2D games usually end up aging better than 3D games and 2D sprites don't have to worry about things like polygon count.
When I say "old 2D," I'm referring more to old 2D, as in 8-bit and older. Sometimes, even 16-bit can look a little janky (for example, a game like Super Metroid still looks great, but Donkey Kong Country really suffered.)

Fallout 1 and Fallout 2, sadly, didn't age too well in the graphics department, but that has more to do with the art style and especially the palette. Like in most things, Fallout 1 seemingly aged better (I blame the NCR and Vault City in Fallout 2 for that) but it can still look bland at times.

I have to say that games like Fallout 1/2 age well compared to old 3D games like Deus Ex.
If you say so. But Fallout 1 & 2 used 3D models too in the same way early mentioned Donke Kong Country do. And with bleak pallete like they have and lots and lots of dithering? I don't think so. Fallout 1 is prettier due to more detailed and cleverly put art though.

Fallout 1 and Fallout 2, sadly, didn't age too well in the graphics department
How? I thought Fallout 1aged pretty well compared to games that released around the same year as them(Fallout 2 maybe less) like

play-fallout-1-on-windows-7.png

FF7-PS4-Mid-October.jpg

Final fantasy 7 which released the same year for example has aged badly in my opinion.

Sure Fallout 1 and 2 aged a bit but they can really pull it off in my opinion.

When I say "old 2D," I'm referring more to old 2D, as in 8-bit and older.
2D games aren't just 8 bit and obviously 8 bit and older games would age badly. :V

I'm not into graphics. Especially edgy-"crisp" like Commandos. Or dithered mess F2 was.
Fallout_Van_Buren_Screenshot.jpg

AoD looks something like F3VB I think and looks great anyway.

How? I thought Fallout 1aged pretty well compared to games that released around the same year as them(Fallout 2 maybe less) like

play-fallout-1-on-windows-7.png

FF7-PS4-Mid-October.jpg

Final fantasy 7 which released the same year for example has aged badly in my opinion.

Sure Fallout 1 and 2 aged a bit but they can really pull it off in my opinion.

2D games aren't just 8 bit and obviously 8 bit and older games would age badly. :V
I think F1/2 aged fairly bad, but I think it has more to do with the style than with the fidelity. FF7 aged poorly because it had neither a good style nor good fidelity.

Heads up, everyone.

The 24th of this month is when we're shooting to do the sixth podcast.

Topics thus far:
Nuka World
Final Thoughts on the DLC, and whole game.
Lore Screw Ups and Related Things
No Mods for the PS4

Should you think of others, post them.

It's the end of Fallout 4 and we want this one to be grand, so the more who come, the better. The Teamspeak server I'm renting can hold 25 people, me included.

Last edited:
I'll be there, most likely. If there's a spontaneous party somewhere with lots of hookers and blow I'll ditch you guys, naturally.

Since this thread seems almost dead, let's spark it up again.

Before this month is done, we'll have the Skyrim Remaster coming down the pipes, and Wasteland 3 starts its campaign today.

If we're planning to do a seventh podcast, those two topics would get us started, plus as the month goes on, there's sure to be more news of other games emerging.

We (as I could join. Maybe. Possibly. Likely) could talk about Skyrim itself too, maybe. Discuss the last decent Bethesda game, maybe the few gold nuggets of quality.
And snickering at the mess it's going to be, don't forget that ^^

We (as I could join. Maybe. Possibly. Likely) could talk about Skyrim itself too, maybe. Discuss the last decent Bethesda game, maybe the few gold nuggets of quality.
Yeah, I am hoping we can talk a little about Skyrim's ups and downs if we are going to talk about its Remaster and as well as the mass mod theft that we know is going to happen.

I expect more downs then ups will be discussed. Well looks like those modders better tack on that script extender to their mods to avoid mod theft from the console users. If there is mod theft again then Bethesda might even kill off the modding scene with Skyrim like they did with Fallout 4 if it gets bad enough. Well depending if the original game gets replaced with the new one and if they pull some bullshit to only make mods available for Skyrim 2.

Modding is also an interesting topc for Fallout 4, I think. Apparently Bethesda changed their animation format so you can only create animations using expensive proprietary software, so modding in new animations and weapons is quite an issue for many.

Don't really think skyrim remastered is anything to even bother about. It kinda silly really for PC users at least because they cna already get the good grahpics ect. I mean if you put skyrim grahpics on xboxone it would like fine i mean you seriously do not need a remaster of like a five year old game (or is it six ?) But anyway it seems pretty dam stupid and way to distracted from actualy making a brand new IP or whatever. You can play xbox 360 games pretty easily on xbox one dunno about ps4 but there you could you don't need to get people to hand out more money for this shit. People probably lap it up and it be game of the year for sure

Modding is also an interesting topc for Fallout 4, I think. Apparently Bethesda changed their animation format so you can only create animations using expensive proprietary software, so modding in new animations and weapons is quite an issue for many.
So making funny dancing mods is now harder? They hate their fanbase as much as they love them...

Well if you milk a game(that's only a few years old if that) into a remastered version with little effort along with a fancy name like "definite edition" and millions of suckers purchase it you get today's modern video game industry where no matter what shit is shoveled out people will buy it.

I'm planning on renting the game from Redbox that release day to see if I can find comparisons to existing mods.

Yeah, I am hoping we can talk a little about Skyrim's ups and downs if we are going to talk about its Remaster and as well as the mass mod theft that we know is going to happen.

If it does, it won't go very far. Remember, a lot of Fallout 4 mods didn't require a script extender like Skyrim did.

Well if you milk a game(that's only a few years old if that) into a remastered version with little effort along with a fancy name like "definite edition" and millions of suckers purchase it you get today's modern video game industry where no matter what shit is shoveled out people will buy it.

The increased price for what is just a graphical update, the blatant mod surgery...there's a lot to get pissed about with this 'Remaster.'

---------------------------------------

Oh, by the way, guess what I found while looking around the Skyrim Nexus recently.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/77027

This restores the cut content from the opening crawl into Helgen, and it fleshes out the characters you see much more convincingly. The sad part? Apparently, Bethesda cut this stuff because they thought it would confuse new players, of both Skyrim and Elder Scrolls.

Talk about no faith in the audience.

Last edited:
Back